Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a big risk! i know how everyone hates new threads about boost, but i've been reading through all the stickied threads and its very hard to come by information regarding an automatic boosted IS. Some of the info in the threads is quite old, like that chart for example is only for MT IS's...anyways...I was hoping to start a large enough thread for just e-shift IS's that it can become stickied...
aiiight here i go...i was asking around and people recommended the PFS turbo kit if i have an auto...is this the only option? will i need to modify the transmission!? if i want to build my own turbo kit what will i need to buy that is different from a manual tranny turbo kit?!
Be gentle...

·
Loped out SUV
1,864 Posts
First it depends how much power you are planning on making. That will decide what you need done to the transmission to hold the power.

As far as the turbo kit is concerned, you can get one from anywhere. That doesn't matter as none of them have anything for the trans included in them.

You have 3 options for a built auto:
1. Peter Farrell Supercars
2. Turbo East
3. Swift Racing Technologies

If you are going to get a fully built auto, I would recommend going with PFS. They are the most knowledgeable and do the most to the transmission. In their fully built auto they do the Valvebody, Sprag gear, clutch packs, and machine the trans to allow for more clutch disks. TE's trans is essentially the same, but doesn't have the machining done to it. I believe all of the tuner's VB upgrades have the 1-2 shift mod in them now, so thats not a big deal.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah thanks for the reply...the modification to the engine block are essentially the same? if say i wanted a 400 hp at the wheels i would have to get new internals? are there any mods to the engine block that would differ in comparison to the MT when increasing the same amount of hp?

·
Loped out SUV
1,864 Posts
The only thing you need to remember is that 400whp on an auto requires a little more than 400rwhp on a manual. There is more drivetrain loss, so therefore you may need more boost to achieve the same results as a manual trans car with exactly the same turbo kit.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Also dont forget, if your not planning to go 400, lets say avg 350, you should think about a valve body upgrade, from turboeast or someplace.
im just waiting on my TE S1 kit to come to me, then i would be sending out my valve body to te to get it done. also dont forget the tranny cooler. so

- VB upgrade
- Tranny Cooler

these are basically a must for auto.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
phil said:
First it depends how much power you are planning on making. That will decide what you need done to the transmission to hold the power.

As far as the turbo kit is concerned, you can get one from anywhere. That doesn't matter as none of them have anything for the trans included in them.

You have 3 options for a built auto:
1. Peter Farrell Supercars
2. Turbo East
3. Swift Racing Technologies

If you are going to get a fully built auto, I would recommend going with PFS. They are the most knowledgeable and do the most to the transmission. In their fully built auto they do the Valvebody, Sprag gear, clutch packs, and machine the trans to allow for more clutch disks. TE's trans is essentially the same, but doesn't have the machining done to it. I believe all of the tuner's VB upgrades have the 1-2 shift mod in them now, so thats not a big deal.
hey Phil, I haven't been able to get a hold of PFS lately but wanted to know if you can just buy a built auto from them. Last time I talked to them, they told me I had to send mine in, they build it, and send it back. I know turboeast can just send me a tranny but it doesn't have the machining done to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe I should pre-empt my question before asking to let everyone know that I am a newbie to my.is and there is world of knowledge in this group, so I will make it short and un-newbie as possible. I have read the thread and am the group that is going e-shift with the idea of FI. My question is two-fold: (1)with any of the turbo kits previously mentioned, what is the standard bhp out of the box whether you are bolting it on to e-shift or manual? (..i do understand the power loss with e-shift..), (2) and can the standard e-shift transmission still be ok given conservative boost out of the box? The reason for the questions is that it appears to be another larger investment with regards to transmission, almost before you install the turbo so that you can even function. I am hoping that this is not the case. I will accept any barrage at this point, only because I am a newbie and hazing is an acceptable practice.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
^^^my stock tranny is holding up fine for right now and I took my car to quite a few drift events this year. Haven't broken anything yet. :) The setup I'm running is a custom setup so I can't really compare to a PFS or SRT turbo kit but I would recommend at least getting a valve-body upgrade. Those stage 1 kits are putting out more than 300whp which will take its toll on your tranny over time if you beat on it a lot. Since I'm going even bigger boost, I'm just buying a built tranny. :)

·
Loped out SUV
1,864 Posts
Kaiyin said:
hey Phil, I haven't been able to get a hold of PFS lately but wanted to know if you can just buy a built auto from them. Last time I talked to them, they told me I had to send mine in, they build it, and send it back. I know turboeast can just send me a tranny but it doesn't have the machining done to it.
I'll talk to Ray for you and I'll pm you once I know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jus reading

i JUS WANTED TO SAY THAT I'VE BEEN READING AROUND ALOT AND HAVE GOTTEN SOME CLEAR ANSWERS. YOU GUYS KNOW UR STUFF. I ALSO SEE ALOT OF MARYLAND GUYS IN HERE BUT ANYWAY..BEFORE I POST ANY QUESTIONS I JUS WANTED TO SAY THANKS FOR GIVING ME SOME INFORMATION BEFORE I ASKED SOMETHING LOL...
PEACE

SORRY FOR THE CAPS..ITS LATE.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
My boosted IS has valve body upgrade and tranny cooler thats it far as i know...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
^^^my stock tranny is holding up fine for right now and I took my car to quite a few drift events this year. Haven't broken anything yet. :) The setup I'm running is a custom setup so I can't really compare to a PFS or SRT turbo kit but I would recommend at least getting a valve-body upgrade. Those stage 1 kits are putting out more than 300whp which will take its toll on your tranny over time if you beat on it a lot. Since I'm going even bigger boost, I'm just buying a built tranny. :)
a built auto tranny nice how much do those run...just wondering and what kind of numbers can it handle...on boost.who makes that built auto tranny and is it for the e-shift and do the buttons still work?

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
a built auto tranny nice how much do those run...just wondering and what kind of numbers can it handle...on boost.who makes that built auto tranny and is it for the e-shift and do the buttons still work?
Built tranny is your stock IS tranny with new sprag gears, VB upgrade, and clutch packs. How much HP it can actually hold is debated some people say its good for 450rwhp ive been told directly to my face by a tuner that i trust alot that it could hold 750 with no problems.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
wow! thats crazy then why do people say the e-shift can only handle about 400 tops and the stick about 350? who does that auto build?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
So let me get this straight.....PFS makes a VB upgrade that can be send to the customer or is it like SRT which involves you sending your own VB to them?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Old setup:
Toyomoto Stage II.5 turbo kit
T61 turbo
2.5mm headgasket
FMIC, chrome intercooler pipes
Greddy type S BOV
550 cc injectors
Intank walbro pump
Aeromotive regulator
Haltech E6X managment with custom hall effect crank pickup
AEM Twin Fire Ignition
Optima yellow top battery
Toyomoto valve body, rods, and solonoid upgrades
Precision industries billet convertor
Factory type gear based LSD

New setup:
Toyomoto Stage II.5 turbo kit
T62 turbo
GTE shortblock
GTE HG
FMIC, chrome intercooler pipes
Greddy type S BOV
550 cc injectors
Intank walbro pump
Aeromotive regulator
Haltech E6X managment with custom hall effect crank pickup
AEM Twin Fire Ignition
Optima yellow top battery
Toyomoto valve body, rods, and solonoid upgrades
Precision industries billet convertor
Factory type gear based LSD

Have an extra tranny im about to send to PFS to get fully built just incase mine goes out now because i dont have the 1-2nd upgrade =/

another thing you might want to look into is getting wider tires in the back because you might have some traction problems around that 400 range

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
just for the archives:

bone-stock a650e w/B&M tranny cooler and AmSoil ATF:
-520rwhp and 500rwtq

PFS built a650e; sprag gears, valve-body, and clutch packs:
-580rwhp and 600rwtq

I beat the piss out of my stock tranny all last year. This year, my cars has just seen the dyno on the PFS trans.

·
Registered
180 Posts
hey

Ok I am editing this because I decided to go through SRT, my question now is if the Sprag Clutch Upgrade is worth the extra $500. Anyone have any opinions?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts