Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn, why'd Lexus lock out 1st gear!!!!

2 questions to the IS tuners out there -

1. Are any of you working on a way to bypass this? In short, allow us to e/shift into first gear? ECU program, anything?

2. Are any of you working on another possible switch format and/or location? Maybe like a F1 style?

Better button location or maybe a possible
flapper type switch on the column? Something easier to reach coming into our out of a corner and the wheel turned???

Thanks, minor grip I'm sure, then again, maybe it is just me...I guess they just don't
want peps blowing or over revving the engine.

Why oh why didn't I wait for a manual...

·
Registered
38 Posts
you should go sit in a 360 modena. the one equipped with the f1 gearbox have these huge paddles on each side, behind the steering wheel. They're really ergonomically set up and stuff. This topic was discuss a long time ago, and i think that no company was doing anything at the time. It sound really complicated, setting something like that up, not just crossing wires and adding relays, more like a full ECU reprogram. I was wondering the same thing though, cuase the Mercedes down-shift to 1st. ANybody have any more info?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ahhhhhh.. I REALLY feel you oddball.. I should have definately waited for the 5-Speed too!!!! I went to the dealer to try to trade mine in and they told me I was already upside down about $3k on my lease and I would have to put in another $3k for the down payment of the manual .. dont even try it!!!!

·
Useless
4,731 Posts
I can understand wanting to beable to e-shift to 1st gear, but WHY? 1st gear is absolutely useless on the IS for normal driving. If you manually shift, you can put it in 1st.

·
Registered
30,476 Posts
you can always trade up to a manual if its that important to ya...
The Ferrari paddle shifters are very complex, and are more like a manual than they are like our eshift. I think they work via hydrolics, either directly or indirectly, but I think it is direct. You need to do stuff like pull both levers to put the tranny in neutral to start it, so I'm thinking it is not something that can be adapted in any way to the is. If you knew a master machinist and had the time, you could have someone CNC aluminum paddles and a collar for your Lex, put some robust switches into the rig, and then.... wow, getting carried away....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Although you can't downshift to 1st gear, I think the car starts in 1st even in the M-Mode. You can feel the car shift into 2nd gear automatically after a few seconds. You rarely have to downshift into 1st gear anyways in daily driving...

·
8,849 Posts
Originally posted by TOKU:
Although you can't downshift to 1st gear, I think the car starts in 1st even in the M-Mode. You can feel the car shift into 2nd gear automatically after a few seconds. You rarely have to downshift into 1st gear anyways in daily driving...
Yes, the car downshifts automatically in the M mode, no matter what setting you have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I agree, we normally do not shift down to first gear in city type driving. I was more in line with taking the car on a road course. Even then first gear is taboo - but there are some turns in my neck of the woods that do require first (sears point).

I was under the impression that since the e/shift light said "2", then I was actually starting in 2nd gear and not first.

I have tried starting out from manual 1st/low and it moved. So - I was happy.

I guess if you couln't figure it out, I'm still getting to know the car

Thanks again for the responses. Have a good day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts