Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is what a whole lot of you guys have been waiting for......

Initial tests were completed today on a 2002 automatic IS 300 w/20k miles..

The ECU will need more time (approx 200 miles or so) to fully re-claibrate to reach optiumum levels of performance...

So the DYNO's were done before and after install... Total test time was about one hour........

More info to come!!!!

Thanx
Joe 8)

Thanks to SP Engineering for there great staff!!!!!

DYNO Run # 8 .... Baseline - 100 % stock
Max POWER = 181.0
Max TORQUE = 177.2

DYNo Run # 15... My Custom Intake combined with TOM's filter..
Max POWER = 188.5
Max TORQUE = 172.9

More tests to follow in coming weeks with various filters...

Sorry guys, Yahoo wouldn't let me post full size picture
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jzolf/lst?.dir=/Graphite+Rims+4+sale&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
red x red x red x :crazy:

I checked the properties on your image - if you are using Yahoo, I don't think they allow us to put up pics. Give us the link maybe that'll work.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Is it just me, or does the car lose both a crapload of HP and torque below 4600rpm? At around 4000rpm, it loses 40hp...wtf? The 7 HP gain seems to be right before redline...

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
not working for me either...

but if yer interested I got 208 SOLID RWHP from the SRT installed 2 weeks ago...I finally got back to Sp today rite when Joe & Kevin were on the last couple runs...

overall i have gone from 184.9 hp w/only the HKS Hiper & Blitz drop-in to 208.0 w SRT w R-ECU/ XERD Racepipe/ B-Pipe/ Hks Hiper Exh.....

i'll post deets later...

fix the jpg Joe...

edgy

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Yo Joe, getting so sleepy.....but..... must.... stay....awake.... to....see....results. Eyes getting so heavy. :boring:

Don't make us wait til the morn. :)

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixing Now

·
Registered
177 Posts
Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that you weren't at WOT until ~4600rpm. Its tough to dyno an auto unless you can prevent it from shifting via the ecu. The dynos before/after intake should be somewhat similar.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ShapeShifterz said:
Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that you weren't at WOT until ~4600rpm. Its tough to dyno an auto unless you can prevent it from shifting via the ecu. The dynos before/after intake should be somewhat similar.
I'm no too sure how the Tech. tested the car... All i can say that he said the samething about testing an Automatic.....

Joe... Can everyone see the results now??????????

Here is the link if people have trouble seeing....
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jzolf/lst?.dir=/Graphite+Rims+4+sale&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/

·
Registered
467 Posts
thats a great product joe, but like what shapeshifterz said it looks like the dyno run was pulled in different gears. are those overall gains or max gains at a specific rpm range?

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ShapeShifterz said:
I'm no too sure how the Tech. tested the car... All i can say that he said the samething about testing an Automatic.....

I do know that he pretty much topped the car out at Max Speed of about 140mph, as i saw on the computer screen of DynoJet System...

I have to say though, 7.5HP gain is not bad at all for the first round of tests...
Everyone here must keep in mind that most IS's will post either better/worst numbers, depending on what end of the "stick" your engine falls on.....
More tests will be done in the weeks to come on same/different cars with same/different filters....

Thanx
Joe 8)

Here is the link if people have trouble seeing....
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jzolf/lst?.dir=/Graphite+Rims+4+sale&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/[/quote]

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ImpulseXvX said:
Wow..Torque REALLY dropped..
Like i said earlier, these are the initial tests.. And purpose of this test was to see initial gains after intake and filter was installed....
We obivisouly didn't give the ECU the proper time to re-learn and re-calibrate the new air to fuel ratio..

Hence more tests will be done in the weeks to follow....

Thanks for pointing that out though, as I didn't see it on my own :roll:

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
hey Joe, so u went to SP for the dyno? did u see all these monsters in the back?

but anyways, yeah i have agree that the 7.5 rwhp is pretty good turnout without having the ECU reclaibrate. maybe u should dyno again probably few days later or next week to get a better result for the performance gain. :D

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ok the same thing happened to me in my IS300 and this is what I felt for the first 20 miles or so.

Joe Z. go back and run the dyno on the same car after 200 miles and post the results.

After I installed the Joe Z. custom intake I took it out for a ride.

Well let’s just say for the first 30 miles the car had nothing in the low end. I mean when I stepped on the pedal from a stop it like almost chocked, BUT after it reached 4000 rpm's it came a live. After I had about 100 miles on the intake and after the ECU was figuring out what to do the car came alive in the bottom end. Now when I step on it from a stand still it really feels a lot better. So please do the dyno after 200 miles so the ECU has time to re-calibrate and I bet those dyno’s will show the car DOESN’T loose anything in the bottom end.

I guess I need to dyno mine because I have an Area 51 BB and I wonder how much I’m getting.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Someone clarify something for me. Do we have dyno numbers for just the Tom's filter? I thought the filter alone was good for 5 rwhp?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
cmondamnit said:
Someone clarify something for me. Do we have dyno numbers for just the Tom's filter? I thought the filter alone was good for 5 rwhp?
That is exactly what I was going to post. I think 2.5 hp for a custom pipe is nothing to jump up and down about.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wxman said:
That is exactly what I was going to post. I think 2.5 hp for a custom pipe is nothing to jump up and down about.
cmondamnit said:

Well thinking is one thing.... If you can put your car on the DYNO and tell us what your numbers are bone stock with just a TOM's filter....that would be real great...

5 rwhp will probably not be the case.... Plus like everyone knows on this thread, every car will perform differently on DYNO test's...

So if one car was tested with a TOM's filter "only" and posted 5 real wheel hp gain, that does not mean every car will do the same thing....
Let's be realistic here!

Like i said before.... this was an intial test and more tests with different filters will be done, to see which combination will show the best gains...

Plus, i guess i will have to type it again... ECU needs to re-learn and re-calibrate to reach optium performace levels to show higher gains... this takes approx 200 miles or so...

If you guys are looking for something with bigger gains, then go drop $500 bucks on an SRT w/ ECU... that will give you about 13 rwhp....
or even more $$ on a Turbo...

BTW- no one is jumping up and down here... :crazy:

Thanx
Joe :chill:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Joe Z said:
Wxman said:
cmondamnit said:

Well thinking is one thing.... Why don't you put your car on the DYNO and tell us what your numbers are bone stock with just a TOM's filter....

5 rwhp will probably not be the case.... Plus like everyone knows on this thread, every car will perform differently on DYNO test's...

So if one car was tested with a TOM's filter "only" and posted 5 real wheel hp gain, that does not mean every car will do the same thing....
Let's be realistic here!

Like i said before.... this was an intial test and more tests with different filters will be done, to see which combination will show the best gains...

If you guys are looking for something with bigger gains, then go drop $500 bucks on an SRT w/ ECU... that will give you about 13 rwhp....

BTW- no one is jumping up and down here... :crazy:

Thanx
Joe, I agree that time will tell. You may also be able to get better gains with an S-AFC. Good luck.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wxman said:
Joe, I agree that time will tell. You may also be able to get better gains with an S-AFC. Good luck.
Thanx Wxman..... Testing isn't cheap, so I'm just trying my best to get the true numbers out there... I could have waited and then posted in a week or two, but too many people wanted to see numbers already....

Thanx

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
17 Participants
Joe Z
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing