Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...not sure what part this goes in, but, i had some questions on dynoing. first off, how do they dyno an automatic without a turbo, or supercharger? i got a race header, y pipe, intake, AFC, and, exhaust...and was just wanting to know how they will dyno my car. and, would i get better results using the E shift?

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
just go to the dyno place, they'll take care of it...

usually the actual reading isn't taken while shifting but in a specific gear...most times it's in 3rd gear...

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
HyperMKIV said:
just go to the dyno place, they'll take care of it...

usually the actual reading isn't taken while shifting but in a specific gear...most times it's in 3rd gear...
Dyno'ing should be done in 4th gear for our cars. That's the gear with the 1:1 ratio.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
Yes, they should dyno with eshift in 4th gear. Shift point is around 4000 rpms... basically, if they give it too much gas before it passes 4000 rpms, it'll downshift and the dyno will be useless. The trick is giving it just enough gas to that it doesn't shift and makign sure you gradually put the pedal all the way down... just as you pass 4000.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahhhh...okay. well, i'm getting my AFC wired tuesday, and, i'm going strait from there down the way to Walker Dyno Tune...but, i was just wondering cause some of my friends had asked about it.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
bchau_gt said:
Dyno'ing should be done in 4th gear for our cars. That's the gear with the 1:1 ratio.
oops...my bad...i meant most cars would be 3rd...well, the cars i've dyno'd in the past anyway...

good catch ;)

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
er, any 5spd car has a 1:1 gear ratio in 4th? Or is closest to 1:1. I think you need to re-learn how to dyno cars.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
Seven said:
er, any 5spd car has a 1:1 gear ratio in 4th? Or is closest to 1:1. I think you need to re-learn how to dyno cars.
ever dyno'd an AOD??? anyway, most of the "faster" cars at the track run automatics (sub 10's for domestics)...hence 3rd gear...

sorry that i didn't really explain myself earlier...

and maybe i'll take your advice and i'll "re-learn" how to dyno cars...

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
again, you didnt read my post. I said 5spd.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
Seven said:
again, you didnt read my post. I said 5spd.
no...i did read your post, i said most of the cars i've dyno'd in the past i did in 3rd...

then i went to say it's cause they were most automatics...read the progression...

anyway, it's been several years since and i'm no expert anyway...hence the "sorry" up above...

·
Registered
189 Posts
My auto was dyno'd in 3rd gear....each time they hit 4th it kept kicking back down. Good results all the same

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
lol.... because they didnt know how to dyno the car. You have to not WOT it in 4th gear when dyno, till you get to about 4000 RPM. Then you can whomp on it, and it'll hold the gear till redline.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
62betty said:
My auto was dyno'd in 3rd gear....each time they hit 4th it kept kicking back down. Good results all the same

When dynoing Auto's in 3rd gear we usually see mid 100's for rwhp. If you dyno'd that high in 3rd gear... you must be doing well above 200 in 4th unless there's some major difference in the RHD version... Next time you're on do a delta between 3rd and 4th all else equal.

·
Registered
189 Posts
dasgalloway said:
When dynoing Auto's in 3rd gear we usually see mid 100's for rwhp. If you dyno'd that high in 3rd gear... you must be doing well above 200 in 4th unless there's some major difference in the RHD version... Next time you're on do a delta between 3rd and 4th all else equal.
Got a RR day lined up in around 2 weeks. Will make a note of all the points in this thread plus see if they'll do a comparison in 3rd & 4th gear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts