Lexus IS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Not Officially Back
12,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone enlighten me as to why some dynos have lower torque but high HP, and others have lower hp but higher torque?

Yes, I'm talking PFS 600 hp/tq and SRT 700+hp/500 tq.

Please don't turn this into a tuner roast... I'm not saying that one is better than the other, I'm just wondering what differences in the cars make the HP and tq curves vary.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
the obvious answer i see are the sizes of the turbo, im not an expert on this so i might be wrong

PFS - smaller than SRT's so creates less hp but spools up faster for more tq
SRT - bigger turbo for more hp but takes longer time to spool up therefore creates less tq

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
i am not an expert on turbo matters (or even hp and torque)
but i do know that what trully matters in a dyno is actually the area under the curve, and not just the peak point

ex: 250hp at 3 rpm with max 500 hp at 6.5 rpm vs 100 hp at 3 rpm with max 650hp at 7 rpm (i will rather get the first one over the second)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
hp = (tq x rpm)/5252

hp will equal tq at 5252rpm, that is a given

if u compare both SRT 4 and PFS 3 dyno:
SRT keeps making lots of torque past 5252rpm, making tons of hp as a result.
PFS 3 peaks at about 5000rpm, but loses it past the peak. lil tq at hp rpm = lil hp.

pfs kit is more drivable thatn srt kit, imo, b/c no one really spends much time at 6000+ rpm.
srt kit is... more of maximum effort, race application, where it'll spend lots of time at high rpms.

--

seeing the dynos once again... is there some good way to retain some of that high tq figger past its peak? more tuning? lil larger turbo? less restriction?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
you guys nailed it right on the head.

Aldo's car didn't make any torque in the top end, which, for a drag car, is EXACTLY where you need it-

Torque lower in rpm range = more streetable, quicker off the line, less HP, slower trap speeds

Torque higher in rpm range = slower off line, like a honda :lol: (nitrous to spool the turbo or a simple 2 step ignition/anti-lag solves this problem, Bob's car nailed a 1.6s 60' on 10" street slicks) less streetable, Much more HP, higher trap speeds.

-Chris

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
yeah guys, we should realize too that both cars have two totally different set ups, with different turbo's....this back and forth stuff is just non-sense to keep comparing the stuff....

just to asume that Bob's car would beat Aldo's is an assanine assumption based on the raw data....

of course we'd all like to see the race take place, but someone is being stubborn about it...WE would ALL like to know why it couldnt be agreed upon.... :roll:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
just to asume that Bob's car would beat Aldo's is an assanine assumption based on the raw data....
There is no assuming about it- now, Aldo has a different setup now and is pushing more power, but with the setup he had on the dyno day, given the same driver, Bob's car would have beaten Aldo's car all day long in the 1/4 mile. No question about it. Of course, head to head competition never actually took place, and you could always say "well you don't know that for sure, they never actually raced on the same day." But, anyone who would look at the two charts, and the trap speeds of the cars, 128mph vs 133mph, and not draw the same conclusion all else being equal (tires, driver, fuel) is just ignorant, honestly.

Now, Aldo has a lot more done to his car, and I'm pretty sure he's going to lay down some SERIOUS numbers this weekend :p I can't wait!

of course we'd all like to see the race take place, but someone is being stubborn about it...WE would ALL like to know why it couldnt be agreed upon.... :roll:
I am afraid you are confused here, and making this out to be something it isn't- I would just drop it, why do you care so much about Bob's car? Whether or not he wants to drag it on sunday is really none of your concern anyway, right?

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
doublins said:
tsopranoMB said:
There is no assuming about it- now, Aldo has a different setup now and is pushing more power, but with the setup he had on the dyno day, given the same driver, Bob's car would have beaten Aldo's car all day long in the 1/4 mile. No question about it. Of course, head to head competition never actually took place, and you could always say "well you don't know that for sure, they never actually raced on the same day." But, anyone who would look at the two charts, and the trap speeds of the cars, 128mph vs 133mph, and not draw the same conclusion all else being equal (tires, driver, fuel) is just ignorant, honestly.

Now, Aldo has a lot more done to his car, and I'm pretty sure he's going to lay down some SERIOUS numbers this weekend :p I can't wait!

I am afraid you are confused here, and making this out to be something it isn't- I would just drop it, why do you care so much about Bob's car? Whether or not he wants to drag it on sunday is really none of your concern anyway, right?
can it dude, I didnt ask you...you dont need to be a smart ass and respond to me like you are....

i'm not confused about anything dude.... If bob wanted to track the car, he can, anytime he wants to......that was my point in another thread.....but its always MO discussing things about the car, which does anger most of us simply because the other tuner owners dont come on posting ridiciulus remarks all the damn time about CUSTOMER CARS!....

obviously, your too damn narrowminded to understand my point of view and others....and I have the balls to say whats on my mind and its actually true what I have to say, but of course you come back with your whiny little answers man....and I wasnt gonna let you get the last word in on me buddy boy....

you need to grow up man and quit coming to the SRT rescue all the time...

its getting boring man....get a friggin life!

:roll:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
tsoprano said:
can it dude, I didnt ask you...you dont need to be a smart ass and respond to me like you are....

i'm not confused about anything dude.... If bob wanted to track the car, he can, anytime he wants to......that was my point in another thread.....but its always MO discussing things about the car, which does anger most of us simply because the other tuner owners dont come on posting ridiciulus remarks all the damn time about CUSTOMER CARS!....

obviously, your too damn narrowminded to understand my point of view and others....and I have the balls to say whats on my mind and its actually true what I have to say, but of course you come back with your whiny little answers man....and I wasnt gonna let you get the last word in on me buddy boy....

I think you need to turn around and take a look in the mirror as to who is constantly involving themselves in other people's business for no reason.

I am sick and tired of reading post after post after post of you whining and complaining and all of the " :roll: " Grow up.

I know you like to think that you always have something important to say, but at least get a clue about what the hell you're talking about before you blurt out some nonsense. I think for the issues you try to argue so aggressively for, you are severely lacking in the knowledge department.

Don't "son" me. Don't "buddy boy" me. I don't take kindly to condescending remarks, which unfortunately most of your posts are chock full of. And what the hell is with all of the eye-rolling? God, man- can't you ever contribute anything positive or useful to this board?

Get over yourself, Mark, and can your BS. You're really starting to annoy me.

Now, take any other little "comments" you may have for me and stick it in a nice long PM for me. Got it?

-Chris

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
doublins said:
tsoprano said:

I think you need to turn around and take a look in the mirror as to who is constantly involving themselves in other people's business for no reason.

I am sick and tired of reading post after post after post of you whining and complaining and all of the " :roll: " Grow up.

I know you like to think that you always have something important to say, but at least get a clue about what the hell you're talking about before you blurt out some nonsense. I think for the issues you try to argue so aggressively for, you are severely lacking in the knowledge department.

Don't "son" me. Don't "buddy boy" me. I don't take kindly to condescending remarks, which unfortunately most of your posts are chock full of. And what the hell is with all of the eye-rolling? God, man- can't you ever contribute anything positive or useful to this board?

Get over yourself, Mark, and can your BS. You're really starting to annoy me.

-Chris
woah, easy there tiger, you might strain something.....

I dont appreciate all the name calling and accusations your telling me on the board, if you had the guts to say all this to me at SRT I would punch you right in the face dude.....

you have some fuckin nerve man....

you need to grow up and cut your crap......dont even bother PM'ng me, your the one who likes to discuss it publically, and I'd rather let people decide for themselves who's right here and who's wrong.....

I'm sick of your worthless posts as well man.....as well as many others are!!!!!! :bitching:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
woah, easy there tiger, you might strain something.....

I dont appreciate all the name calling and accusations your telling me on the board,
So where did I call you any names?

You came out of the woodworks and responded with"

"you dont need to be a smart ass"

"your too damn narrowminded"

"but of course you come back with your whiny little answers man...."

"I wasnt gonna let you get the last word in on me buddy boy.... "

"you need to grow up man and quit coming to the SRT rescue all the time... "

"get a friggin life!"

if you had the guts to say all this to me at SRT I would punch you right in the face dude.....
Trust me, you'll get plenty of opportunities to do it...

Maybe if you could manage to waddle over to me without collapsing and still have enough energy to hit me?

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
doublins said:
I am sick and tired of reading post after post after post of you whining and complaining and all of the " " Grow up.

Trust me, you'll get plenty of opportunities to do it...

Maybe if you could manage to waddle over to me without collapsing and still have enough energy to hit me?
how dare you!!!!!!!

you should be ashamed of yourself man....stop calling me names and such, thats so immature bro...

I've contributed lots of worthy stuff to this board, as you have, each in our own unique ways.....

I dont understand why you keep coming back and offending me publically......really dude, your acting quite childish....

:shame:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Because you are under the impression that you can bash me publicly and expect that I'm NOT going to respond to you in like manner because I am a moderator. Well screw that. I'm not going to sit here and take your crap.

And furthermore, if you want to call me childish and say "How dare you" to ME after YOU took an internet conversation and decided it would be appropriate to recommend we bring it to a physical confrontation, go ahead. You're only making yourself look stupid, so be my guest.

Look, it's obvious from all of your posts that you want attention and you want so desperately to feel important and all, but I think you're going about it the wrong way. Karma, dude. Act positive, and you will get positive results. Act like a dope and get treated like one.

-Chris

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
doublins said:
Because you are under the impression that you can bash me publicly and expect that I'm NOT going to respond to you in like manner because I am a moderator. Well screw that. I'm not going to sit here and take your crap.

And furthermore, if you want to call me childish and say "How dare you" to ME after YOU took an internet conversation and decided it would be appropriate to recommend we bring it to a physical confrontation, go ahead. You're only making yourself look stupid, so be my guest.

-Chris
I have NEVER bashed you bro....what the hell are you talking about???

you are :crazy:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
doublins said:

-Chris

Look it's evident that we don't see eye to eye. Let's just leave it at that and walk away from this. Nobody says we have to agree on things.

Also, learn to accept that people can disagree with you without it being a personal affront to you. I disagreed with you, and you took it to the name-calling level, then to the physical confrontation level. It's not the end of the world if someone suggests that you might not be right about something. Once you can learn to understand that you will be a much happier person.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
doublins said:
tsopranoMB said:
doublins said:

-Chris

Look it's evident that we don't see eye to eye. Let's just leave it at that and walk away from this. Nobody says we have to agree on things.

Also, learn to accept that people can disagree with you without it being a personal affront to you. I disagreed with you, and you took it to the name-calling level, then to the physical confrontation level. It's not the end of the world if someone suggests that you might not be right about something. Once you can learn to understand that you will be a much happier person.
you got it all backwards man....
you just explained yourself and what you need to do...

I suggest you go back and read what you responded to me man....you provoked me, and I posted accordingly.....YOUR posts became way out of line...

remember, you started it!!!!!!!! :x

Look, it's obvious from all of your posts that you want attention and you want so desperately to feel important and all, but I think you're going about it the wrong way. Karma, dude. Act positive, and you will get positive results. Act like a dope and get treated like one.
what the hell are you talkiing about bro?????? I dont ask for any kind of attention....stop making up crap...

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
isman said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Keyboard Kung Fu! :crazy:
LOL :lol: :lol:

doublins...you need to stop getting into so many damn arguements...shit. we all know you're an SRT customer and you're satisfied with your stuff...but u talk as if they're God...and by saying Bob's car would beat Aldo's without even a race is plain stupid. Look at that curve on Bob's car...all the way until the upper range Aldo would own him like no other. Yes he'll catch up in the end and maybe pass him but it's not like Aldo has a weak top end either.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
OK guys, relax a little.

Doublins I have noticed in the past few weeks that you and some other ppl ganging up on tsopranoMB, and anyone else that doesn't agree w/ what you say. None of this is necessary, of course ppl will have their differences but leave it at that, and don't speculate anything, in regards to the race that never happen, its just that it didn't happen so NO ONE KNOWS what the outcome would be, so why state what you thought it would be when in fact you yourself don't know. Just because he asked a question doesn't mean it needs to be beaten to death.. Plus your a moderator so act like it, I know right back at me, well I have been acting like it, hence my post. And all of these past post are all being noted and sent to the owners of this site.

tsopranoMB: relax too man, I know your trying to defend yourself, but choose your words more wisley. You too are a moderator and some things arn't to be said publicly, so please think prior to posting..

And for anyone else who is jumping on the band wagon, don't. Consquences(sp) of these posts will have some serious effect on the ppl making them, and their future in this community.

SO BOTTOM LINE, everyone just FORKIN RELAX, if you all want to duke it out, np let me know when and where, I'll bring my video camera.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.