Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased dynamat xtreme bulk pak for my is300. i ripped out the panels in the trunk already and was wondering if n e 1 had some insight as to where to apply the dynamat, or anything i shoud be cautious about. i tried to search, but i only came up with a guy who used a spray as a dampener. My initial thoughts is to dynamat n e thing and everything metal(leaving the necessary holes of course).

Also, i had trouble taking out the panel on the trunk because of the plastic casing of the trunk emergency handle(green). Does N E 1 Know how to take it off.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
yup, if you got enough of the stuff hit everything metal. You'd be surprised how much it will take though. I finally finished off the trunk and it took me 42sf of VB-2 and 31sf of vmax. If you are limited on material then I would suggest that you do the trunk lid first, then the quarter panels completely. and then use the rest for the seatback, rear deck, and trunk floor. If you are limited at this point try to place as large patches as you can in the center of large panels, but try to get them all with at least some coverage. If you got a lot left over then you can do the cross braces and stuff but I don't think these will resonate too much. try and tap the metal and listen for the sound, you can tell where it will help to add the dampening. Good luck, it was busass getting all of that in.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
oops forgot about the handle...it simply pops off. just fit a flat screwdriver in and gently pry. It takes quite a bit to release it, but it will just pop out. If you look closely you can see the slots where the tabs are located. The linkage for the handle will then pop off.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Damn....i just dynomatted my trunk lid and it took ALOT of dynomatt. Is there anything cheaper that works just as good as dynomatt? I still have alot left to do! Also, does the dynomatt extreme prevent alot less rattle then a normal patch of dynomatt?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I'm not sure but I think the regular Dynamat is equivalent to VB2 and the extreem is equivalent to Vmax, it's a little cheaper too. Shit yeah the stuff expensive. I figure it will end up costing me about a grand in materials to do my whole car. After using the Vmax and tapping on the panel I'm convinced that it works better then the VB2, it's that much deader sounding. I've heard that some of the cheaper ebay stuff doesn't stick too well and sometimes it eventually starts to peel off, but then again others swear by it and say it's just as good as the name brand stuff. But for all the time that I'm spending putting it on I only want to do it once so I figgure the extra investment in $$$ is well spent.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've heard alot people use edead (edesignaudio.com) with success, and sounddeadeningmaterial.com has cheap stuff too. I think with dynomat you end up paying more for the name, it's not necessarily better than some of the other cheaper products out there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate your responses....I just had someone install my dynamat today cuzz i have no time and I wanted it in already :( . I felt that I could 've done a better job. The way it was placed was hella choppy. I expected a more uniform and cleaner install. But if thats the way its done, then I guess thats that. For any one who dynamated, or similar, their trunk.......can you post pics as to how it looks...
Again, Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
IS300Lexury said:
I appreciate your responses....I just had someone install my dynamat today cuzz i have no time and I wanted it in already :( . I felt that I could 've done a better job. The way it was placed was hella choppy. I expected a more uniform and cleaner install. But if thats the way its done, then I guess thats that. For any one who dynamated, or similar, their trunk.......can you post pics as to how it looks...
Again, Thanks for the responses
ok I tried to post the pictures but it won't work so here's a link to a photo album. This is the begining stages of the sound deadening, the rest of the trunk floor, lid and door pics are still in the camera and I need to down load them, I'll try to get it up later. Notice that I applied the material to the inside of the seatback and not the trunk side, I did this cause it was easier to get to. I must have spent a total of 8 to 10 hours sitting in the fricken' backseat and trunk doing the thing. Was not too fun, so don't feel too bad about paying someone to do it. I think it came out pretty good considering it was my first time at using the stuff. btw...heat gun in enclosed cramped space is not a good idea :crazy:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/cyohi/lst?.dir=/My+Photos/IS300+sound+deadening&.src=ph&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/cyohi/lst?&.dir=/My+Photos/IS300+sound+deadening&.src=ph&.view=t&.view=t

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DHCrocks, i must say that is pretty impressive. I appreciate the posts and pics. Im thinkin about rippin the dynamat out for real now. When i get some loot....ima go with cascade.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
thanks Neo302...

IS300Lexury PM me with a question and I thought I'd post a reply here.
"Im assuming u have a sytem currently installed....W/ that in mind do u still have rattling noises. The dynamt in my car is cool, but 1) xtreme dynamat in places w/ lots of contours doesnt work well and 2) it came out ugly. N E ways it worked. But got some rattle from wires in the trunk door and spoiler.

Oh, i see u took out the rear deck. I tried taking it out, but i got stuck after taking the three things that were covered by plastic(1 in front of each speaker and in the middle). After that i couldnt take out the rear deck panel. I forgot who's post it was, but he said he took a screwdriver and popped the sides.
If its no trouble pls help. THANKS."

As far as the ratling here's a link to a couple of posts.

http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13324133
http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13323651&highlight=

I'm running the stock deck and speakers with the addition of a RF bd1000.1 and two Audiomobile Mass 2412 subs and had a shit load of rattles. The damping helped a lot especially on the trunk lid. I would concentrate on that area. yes the wires and emergency release handle were the culprit for the majority of it so just use some weather striping tape, I didn't take any pictures of the trunk lid(stupid...I forgot) but I will pop off the cover and get some as soon as I get a chance. Still got a little bit but for the most part the rattle is gone. Just like the Dynamat Extreme, the Vmax doesn't look too pretty, so I only use it where it will be hidden, if the metal will be visible then I used the VB2 which conforms nicely to the contours if you use a heat gun. Take a look at the pics of the trunk floor, notice how wrinkly it looks compared to the VB2, this is cause there is absoultly no stretch to the material since it is aluminum backed so you have to bunch it up in areas to ensure full coverage and contact with the base metal.

To remove the rear deck cover if I recall corectly you just need to remove the three hold downs and lift up the front edge a little and pull forward, there are clips on the back that slide into slots near the window. It's a tight fit cause of the side c-pillar trim, but you can remove the cover with it in place. I believe that removing the c-pillar covers will make things easier though, I didn't do that.

If I were you I would just leave the dynamat in place, especially if it's in a place that will be hidden, no sense in throwing money away. But yes you should do it your self, that way you can take your time and make things nice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
DHCrocks
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing