Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, my b friend has a 02' stock IS. i want to surprise him with a DVD AND NAV system for Christmas, but i need some help...I have searched through the forum and have not found suffice information, most likely b/c i have ZERO idea what im attempting to accomplish. but, where is the best spot on the dash to install this piece? can it be placed where the stock NAV COULD have been installed on top of the dash where it rises up?or should i replace the stock stereo with a retractable screen, ie kenwood, clarion, along with the new cd player that comes with these units? i know this is elemtary and annoying but any help would be appreciated. thanks so much, carrie.

·
my.is Headlight Guru
4,786 Posts
Click this link, it will show you everything you need to buy to do the install. Then you can bring the parts and these instructions to a Car Audio shop to be installed. BTW I asked my gf for a navi setup for X-mas. She has an IS too so I bought all kind of x-mas goodies for hers. :D http://home.attbi.com/~nlao/NavHousingInstructions.doc
-Justin
PS: The thread I got the link from was posted like 8 posts under yours.
PSS: Don't give me credit for the instructions, I just knew where the info was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I will use that for sure!
But, is it favorable to use a NAV through a DVD or have 2 separate modules? ie, one on top of the dash, and then maybe a retractable dvd screen which would replace the stock radio? make sense or am i way off base?
also, if i were to purchase a new IS in the coming mos. and i wanted both DVD and NAV as well, is it advisable to have the stock NAV installed and then purchase separate DVD, or custom install both DVD and NAV?
Thanks again, Carrie

·
my.is Headlight Guru
4,786 Posts
You can run both inputs (DVD and NAV) through one monitor. I prefer the dash top LCD over the flip out DIN monitor. The flip out screens block you from the A/C controls and take the drivers eyes too far off the road when using the NAV. If you plan on getting an IS soon with the same DVD/NAV setup see how much you spend on the custom install and compare that price to the Lexus NAV option+ the cost of DVD and see which would be most cost effective. Also, when you get the parts from Lexus ask to speak to the parts mgr and ask him to give you the parts at wholesale or go to your dealerships website and e-mail him, its easier than you think to get them to knock 20% right off the total :wink:
-Justin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
ISsard22CU
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing