Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was contemplating picking up a DVD burner, but i need to get some scoop from people who actually own them.

my sole purpose for buying one is to copy DVD movies. my buddy has over 300 DVD's and i want to raid his collection and start burning.
has this technology been done yet?? can you easily burn a DVD movie with little or no problems???

let me here it

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I think there still is a prob. I duuno if they fixed that. I tried burning a DVD and it just wasnt successful. But i'm not sure.

Carry on.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
I have one but for a mac...it's not as easy as it looks and blank dvd's are still $5 a piece and that's if you buy 100 of them...I am not sure if it's just the mac software but you have to set up all the scenes and menus and the likes in order for it to be just like the original dvd...plus this one is only 2 X so it takes forever...by the time I am done burining the dvd plus the cost of the blank dvd, I don't mind spending $20 on the original plus you get the case

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with the holiday prices, the DVD disks are about 2 bucks a piece now.

hmm......anyone else??

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is300girl said:
Why don't you put that on your Christmas list foolio?

hmm, still deciding if its even worth it, since its a 2X and all. if theres a way to burn DVD's i can wait the 30+ minutes to burn.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yes, you can get a flaws copy but the audio track will only be 2 channel stereo(prologic). Dvd burners do not have digital inputs for recording audio. Phillips has a nice unit and so does Panasonic. The Panasonic is really cool because it has a 52 hour harddrive onboard. You could download you digital camcorder tapes to it, then edit evreything right on your tv. Once your done editing all you have do is hit "burn" and you have a dvd. You can also use it for copying dvd's like you said.

my $0.02

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
D'sIS said:
Yes, you can get a flaws copy but the audio track will only be 2 channel stereo(prologic). Dvd burners do not have digital inputs for recording audio. Phillips has a nice unit and so does Panasonic. The Panasonic is really cool because it has a 52 hour harddrive onboard. You could download you digital camcorder tapes to it, then edit evreything right on your tv. Once your done editing all you have do is hit "burn" and you have a dvd. You can also use it for copying dvd's like you said.

my $0.02
so your saying that if i burn a DVD it will only have a stereo output??? not digital???
well that would suck, and i wouldnt even waste my time burning if that was the case.

·
Registered
836 Posts
mccarlin said:
D'sIS said:

my $0.02
so your saying that if i burn a DVD it will only have a stereo output??? not digital???
well that would suck, and i wouldnt even waste my time burning if that was the case.
That is correct. You'll get awsome picture quality but crappy audio

·
Registered
249 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I still don't think you can just do a simple DVD to DVD copy like you would a game or whatnot. I think this has a lot to do with the media. The DVD media that you can purchase I believe is only 4.7 GB.... whereas a DVD movie (original) is something like 7GB+.

This was my understanding. You would have to rip the DVD and put it into SVCD format at best if you wanted a "copy" of a DVD. This in my opinion is totally not worth the time and I would easily spend the 20 bucks in purchasing the original.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you copy just the actul movie your at 4.7gb. It's when you want all the extras that the file gets larger.

·
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
26,421 Posts
I'll sum all of this up for you:

If you're wanting to burn DVD movies, WAIT. It'll be awhile before it'll be a straightforward thing, like CD piracy- I mean, burning. :wink:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Glad you decided to make it that simple...

I was about to go into the whole single layer/ dual layer dvd explanation. :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
D'sIS
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing