Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there much difference between those two brands? G2 cost about twice as much as Duplicolor but they both seem to be composed of the same stuff. SO is it worth the extra 30 bucks for G2 ........opinions advice ......

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
G2 sucks...

Use spray paint, here are some tips.

1. clean the caliper with a wire brush
2. with soap and water and a spunge with a hard side on it scrub it clean
3. With clean water wash it off
4. Dry it with a towel or paper towels.
5. Lightly spray the caliper with brake cleaner to get all oils and fluids off.

6. Spray as desired, id primer first but thats me being anal.
7. Let dry then apply caliper stickers or rims.

D

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
^^^ agreed... i have painted OEM calipers Supra calipers AND Stoptech calipers with PLAIN OLD Hardware store paint & NEVER had a problem.

the end result is 98% preparation...

My bro dave here is a sick mofo who will take the time to grind the caliper body to smooth it out & ya gotta love that attn. to detail... but as for the necessity of using "Caliper Paint" or anything marketed as such... with the accompanying bump in retail price.. .is a WASTE OF CASH...... much less that G2 SHIT... which is HORRIBLE i mean WTF?? BRUSH on paint??...
self leveling My ass ...I have NEVER seen a G2 painted caliper that DIDN'T look like a 4 yerar old blind kid with epileptic seizures did the job..... SAVE YOUR CASH... drop 8 bux on two cans of what ever paint color you want, prep everything properly & go to town....

& My anal self agrees w/dave,... I use adhesion promoter/primer also & then shoot away...

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
im about to update my sig.

Any job worth doing, is worth doing right!

I pay attention to detail, if it woudln't go on my car, it sure as hell won't go on urs.

damn im tossed, i should just go to bed.

anyways.

DO IT RIGHT, touch up door trim with a brush, not ur calipers!!
HAHA I MADE A FUNNY .

D

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
edgy is so correct. It's all in the prep work. I've used Duplicolor on all the cars I've worked on. Had no problems as of yet from friends. Be patient when it comes to prepping them. A good percentage of folks totally neglect this step and they wonder why their paint chips.

·
Registered
853 Posts
i painted my calipers with G2 caliper paint, didn't have any problems with it at all, turned out very nice and glossy, i've had it for maybe 6 months now and theres no chips or color fading at all, still looks fresh and new. like everyone else said though, the major thing is the prep work.

heres some pics:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I highly recommend that u use a caliper paint instead of any old canned paint. The difference is that caliper paint is made to stand up to the high temperatures that brakes are subjected to, hence the name high temp caliper paint.
imo if u dont want to repaint your calipers every few months cause the paints peelin off, go with the caliper paint. Hell, if u really want to be cheap, u could use grill paint, though u would only get a choice of like 2 colors :p .

I personally like the brush on paint cause u get a more even surface and i think its a cleaner process.

And i think the only reason the G2 paint is so expensive is cause their kit includes an acid primer and it comes in a variety of colors. other than that not much different from the duplicolor

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Wow

I have never seen anyone with such a lack of exp on this subject.

I have 56k on Krylon spray paint, yes spray paint. NO HIGH TEMP, nothing high temp about it.
I have one chip, and thats from my wheel hitting it when i was doing a wheel change.

Whats next for me, powder coat.

In order I think this is the best method

1. powder coating.
2. spray painting with either regular paint or high temp, no matter.
3. G2

D

·
Registered
29 Posts
hmm. I guess its as is300soon and edgy said then, preparation really does count for 98%.
If u lasted 56k on spray paint, then i wasted a hell of alot of time lookin for gold caliper paint. I guess go with watever works, or looks the best.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Rustolium has a nice gold with a good clear coat.

D

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
G2 SUCKS.

I grinded my calipers down first, then sprayed with TONS of light coats. Thick coats are prone to chips. If you have 20 light coats of paint/clear, it's going to take a long time to chip away. Thick coats also crack too.

I never understood the G2 craze. Your brushing paint on calipers!?!?!?!?!? If someone could give me some benefits to using a brush, other than "I'm too fooking lazy to mask everything off so i don't get overspray, I'd like to hear it.

WHat I miss is Rustoleum's Hard hat spray paint. It's hard to find, but DAMN is it durable.

·
Registered
853 Posts
^^you know you can always remove the calipers and paint them that way if your too lazy to mask everything off

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Even with removing the caliper you still have to mask, you don't want any paint or anything really in the piston area.

When i powder coat calipers I mask like a mofo.

D

ps ill search for some pics of my masking in a minute.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts

those are grinded and powder coated with mirror black uv and chemical resistant.

This is with the masking removed. As you can see there was a huge area to protect.

I cannot find the pic of the caliper with the tape on it.

D

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
I highly recommend that u use a caliper paint instead of any old canned paint. The difference is that caliper paint is made to stand up to the high temperatures that brakes are subjected to, hence the name high temp caliper paint.

*****What exactly do you base this " HIGH recommendation" on...? personal experiencve ...or more likely...what you might have read on a forum...?

imo if u dont want to repaint your calipers every few months cause the paints peelin off, go with the caliper paint. Hell, if u really want to be cheap, u could use grill paint, though u would only get a choice of like 2 colors :p .

***Sorry man but you are just plain WRONG....

You have obviously been drinking the G2/VHT marketing group Koolaid..

HOW do you KNOW that ANY paint that is simply labeled "HIGH TEMP" really is....?
do you think it is possible that a company could just fill up a can with regular paint & LABEL it 'high temp'?

My 'regular/low temp/ paint" has held up to 3 years of my track days & weekly canyon hammering sessions that cause my brake pads to smoke & stink to all hell...

..& after ALL that time AND ABUSE...... the ONLY chips i have are also from ham fisted idiots ( my self included) being careless when re-installing the wheels....

I personally like the brush on paint cause u get a more even surface and i think its a cleaner process.

**** OK then.......nuff said.....
It's clear that there is no point educating you after that clearly misguided statement. But I have to ask... HOW in any world is BRUSHING on paint EASIER than using a spray can...? much less cleaner & smoother....

I think the only reason the G2 paint is so expensive is cause their kit includes an acid primer and it comes in a variety of colors. other than that not much different from the duplicolor

**** well, it surely WOULDN'T be from their extensive MARKETING campaign designed to convince those easily sold that they need to burn $30-40 bux to get a good result would it??

why even argue......G2 is overpriced, unnecessary,overhyped, low tech crap & only exists cause of marketing & the MARKETERS confusing folks like you and others to think your brake calipers need SPECIAL paint......

they do not...plain & simple...

I just cant see how Dave or I could be any clearer than that......

But knock yerselves out regardless & clean that shizzle up ;)

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
dude i was about to go to bed, and im glad i took a moment to read it.

Just a few hours ago my wife was saying good night and was reading a caliper post over my shoulder. She says and I quote ( ARE THESE FOOLS FUCKING IDIOTS?) I said no hun, they just read too much into what others post without trying it themselfs.

Here is how I look at it.

Go into the kitchen with a paint brush, paint your cabinets with a white paint. USE A BRUSH!

Then take another cabinet and use white spray paint, we all know we wouldn't paint a house with spray paint but you get where im going.

Now take cabinet A with ur brush, and cabinet B that has been spray painted and you tell me which texture looks more EVEN!

D

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

Just a few hours ago my wife was saying good night and was reading a caliper post over my shoulder. She says and I quote ( ARE THESE FOOLS FUCKING IDIOTS?) I said no hun, they just read too much into what others post without trying it themselfs.

Go into the kitchen with a paint brush, paint your cabinets with a white paint. USE A BRUSH!

Then take another cabinet and use white spray paint, we all know we wouldn't paint a house with spray paint but you get where im going.

Now take cabinet A with ur brush, and cabinet B that has been spray painted and you tell me which texture looks more EVEN!

D
Want to help me grind down my calipers and paint them?!?!?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Mine came out perfect. Heres what I did:

1) went to Al's Auto Supply, Schucks, (or whatever you have in your area)
2) bought spray on high temp caliper paint w/ ceramic in it (any high temp paint w/ ceramic in it will do IMO)
3) bought brake/caliper cleaner spray
4) jacked up car
5) removed wheel
6) Sprayed the cleaner all over it a couple times, no biggie (remember the less prep time you put in the better.....or is it the other way around ;) )
7) taped, masked, cover and what not, the parts that don't need to be painted ie:anything other than the calipers and rotor hub (or whatever its called...the rusty b*stard, you'll know what I'm squacking about)
8) Sprayed on like 4 or so coats of the caliper paint (make sure you hit it from various angles if you know what i'm saying....;) perv alert perv alert!! )
9) at this point if you have decal you slap um on, and in that case you probably should have bought a clear coat spray, jeez ya idiot!! what were you thinking??!! Go back to the store and get some!!
10) throw your wheel back
11) MAKE SURE you tighten the lug nuts proper! You may want to check them again after your first drive post caliper painting, mmmmkay?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts

D

I'll go with cabinet "C" that I used a "candy stripe" roller on! Roller FTW!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts