Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: does anyone know how to shrink images with the vb code? I don't know how so if anyone can tell me or a mod wants to shrink them for me, they're... a little large :)

Hey guys, just replaced my break pads and when I did it was just enough that my wheels wouldn't fit anymore. So I grinded down the caliper a bit, and decided I needed to paint them so they wouldn't rust.

Needless to say I couldn't way to order the G2 kit, so I figured I'd try out the duplicolor kit from my local pep boys. It was also only 14.95 so that was a plus as well.

The kit was similiar to the G2 kit, brush on, very thick paint, although it did not have an activator like the G2 kit, so you can take your time doing the wheels before the paint hardens up. Whether this has any ill effects is yet to be seen. It comes with a spray paint of caliper cleaner, some really crappy masking tape, and a small brush that can get in between pretty well.

Anyway, so I jacked up the front of the car on two stock jacks (I know, didn't have any jack stands), cleaned the calipers and started painting them. The fronts in particular I was worried about too thick of a layer of paint, since I had to grind the calipers anyway. So I put on four very thing layers of paint.
I waited two hours until putting the wheels back on, lowering the front, jacking up the rear and doing the same, although on the rear it was getting late so I did three thicker coats.

Right after finishing those I got a phone call and discovered I needed to leave in the morning to drive my roomate to surgery, you may have remembered that frantic post :p
Anyway, left after about 8-10 hours, drove an hour back, no problems at all.
Heres some pics of the new wheels and the calipers painted, still havn't put on any stickers yet, need some from flatline :)

Anyway I think it turned out pretty well and makes a good alternative if you don't want to get the G2 kit, becuase of price or local availability.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
749 Posts
neato, just slap some stickers and it'll look even nicer. I'll do mines also, one day but winter is coming so have to put fun things off. winter sux.

·
大古古
1,287 Posts
i've seen this kit before was deciding if i should get it or not ended up not getting it. I would with no doubt get it if....... it came in green :bigSmile: best color ever!

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
looks good but you should have searched and used G2 or Foliatec.

Duplicolor makes the worst paint in my opinion. Even their normal household spray stuff sucks ass.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i used the same kit in my IS last week. I used the black color though... its dries quick if you are in any kind of wind, but it looked really good. not only did i do my calipers with this kit, but i also did the hub rim where it can get a rusty look as water sits on it... looks GREAT! - now being the impatient person i am, i only let the paint sit about 3 hours before i drove... no issues what so ever!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
i'm going to paint my calipers sometime soon, i debating whether i wanna do red though. i feel like the car is red enough that it doesn't need anymore red. maybe black? ahhh i'm so bad at making choices.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sophie just because I used that kit did not mean I didn't search.

The reason why I didn't go with either of the kits you mentioned is that neither was available locally, and since I had grinded my caliper down, and as you can see in the pics I live in a duplex with no garage, so I had to do it at my parents house when I was there.

I read bad things about the spray on paints, but I read nearly nothing about this kit, just that it was a newer kit that many people had not tried yet.

Anyway, I think it turned out just fine, and yes I would recommend it, I can't tell you how its going to stand up in 2 years, but it looks fine as is, and like I said seemed to be a very thick, good quality paint.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Yino said:
sophie just because I used that kit did not mean I didn't search.

The reason why I didn't go with either of the kits you mentioned is that neither was available locally, and since I had grinded my caliper down, and as you can see in the pics I live in a duplex with no garage, so I had to do it at my parents house when I was there.

I read bad things about the spray on paints, but I read nearly nothing about this kit, just that it was a newer kit that many people had not tried yet.

Anyway, I think it turned out just fine, and yes I would recommend it, I can't tell you how its going to stand up in 2 years, but it looks fine as is, and like I said seemed to be a very thick, good quality paint.

Well good luck with it. Looks good now. It just doesn't last long and chips easily.

Next time, if I were you I'd spend 30 bucks to get a G2 or foliatec kit. Keep it in the trunk til you can do it right.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No I havn't clear coated them yet, I was going to get some logos and then clear coat them.

BTW thanks for the info sophie, atleast this is up now so people looking at this kit can know how you feel about it, like I said before I really couldn't find anything about this kit, only the spray on before.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
hey guys...i hate to bring up an old post...but...i am bout to do this on saturday. i need to know a couple of things. okay...i'm getting the same kind of paint in black. i have the Flatline decals. so, here my questions.
*do you see the brush strokes..and if so, how can you fix it.
*after the calipers dry for about 4 or so hours, do i need to apply anything to make the caliper stickers to stick really well, or do i just clear coat them when there on?
*after i apply the decals, what kind of clear coat do i need to get...ie...name, satin...what.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Go get one of those foam brushes...imprimis told me to use one of those and I saw it walmart as well for around 60 cents. If you use a regular brush..you can see the stroke marks...but what I noticed when doing it...the more paint you glob onto the caliper...the less you will see stroke marks...you will know what im talking about when you start doing it.

After the caliper paint dries a bit...I think you should give it a quick wipe up from dust and debris. Apply the sticker like how you apply any other. After the decal is in place already....give it a couple coats of clear. Be sure not to spray too close because it left some white stuff on my caliper but faded eventually. I think you can use any type of clear...I used the high heat one from dupli. It says "clear" on the cap lol.

Tips: Jack up the car first...then place Jack stands...I would start with the rear since you can do the practice on those rather than totally fukin up the front ones lol. Clean it good with a scotch pad...I would tape up the brakeline incase you get some on there. Do not let the brake cleaner touch the paint on ur car. I just used card board boxes to block off both sides. Throw away the piece of shiet tape they give and use ur own. It's the worst masking tape I ever saw. Buy an extra brush set...the tiny brushes so you can get in the little cracks. Enjoy!

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
search for instructions on how to paint calipers thksdad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.