Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive never owned a Lexus and have always done my own oil changes, but for some reason I got a case of the retard right now. My question is:

Is the oil drain plug on the flat pan that isnt covered by a plastic shroud? I just dont want to open it up and find Tranny fluid spilling out...

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Yep, that is it.

It is not covered by the plastic and the bolt/drain is at an angle pointing to the center of the car. 13mm I think.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still cant seem to get a good angle on the filter. Do you need a filter wrench?

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
No, just a skinny arm.

I put my left hand on the top of the engine/strut bar, and I put my right arm straight down and use a combo of the thumb and first finger grip around the side of the filter, and the whole hand grip on the bottom of the filter.

If all else fails try a filter wrench or stab it with a screw driver, but it shouldn't be that tight. They should only be hand tight.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, done.

Actually got a better grip on it from the bottom. Snaked it out thru the bottom as well. Thanks for the help.;) Rep to ya!

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
I started goin from the bottom, you have to remove the underpanel, but it made it easier to get the filter out without spilling...I also put a plastic bag around it and just let it fall into it, trick I learned on here I think. works good though

·
Registered
791 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I started goin from the bottom, you have to remove the underpanel, but it made it easier to get the filter out without spilling...I also put a plastic bag around it and just let it fall into it, trick I learned on here I think. works good though
that's the way i do it. i couldn't fit my arms through the top. underneath is definately easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts