Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as you all know, my car has been down for the past week because the transmission took a dump on me. Not 100% sure exactly why it did...but I have a feeling that my aggresive driving possibly lead to an overheating failure. It wasn't even that hard of driving...just a few hard highway pulls. Before I only had the one cooler on the left. The fixed transmission is coming in next week and hopefully this new solution will prevent any future overheating :)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Redonkulous :lol: Hope it works out for you :) +rep for getting creative!

Did you think about maybe getting an all aluminum radiator while your at it?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
im thinking of getting another cooler just for precaution also. looks nice!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Wow those look a little bigger than the "huge" hayden I got for my truck. Damn.

Pre or post OE cooler, or is OE bypassed all together? I can't make up my mind to go pre or post because I'm not finding much data on if the fluid needs to be above a certain operating temp or if "the lower the better" applies.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I thought about adding another one to mine, but I can't mount anything behind my intercooler. My cooler is in the fascia under the passenger head lamp. about to make ducting and mount a fan to it. So no one could tell(not like they can now).

How much power are you pushing?

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Wow those look a little bigger than the "huge" hayden I got for my truck. Damn.

Pre or post OE cooler, or is OE bypassed all together? I can't make up my mind to go pre or post because I'm not finding much data on if the fluid needs to be above a certain operating temp or if "the lower the better" applies.
With transmission fluid the lower the better. Transmission fluid is used mainly as a means of transferring heat out of the transmission than as a lubrication factor hence why transmission fluid is typically low in viscosity. Low viscosity = faster fluid movement which = the ability to quickly transfer heat from hot point (transmission's moving parts) to cool point (aluminum housing, cooling lines and coolers).

FYI:
Lower viscosity is normally used for heat transfer and little for lubrication.
Higher viscosity is normally used for lubrication and little heat transfer.

In the anatomy of a transmission there are hardly components that have rubbing or reciprocating actions against one another that produce alot UNWANTED friction. (Keyword alot and unwanted). The only components that produces alot of friction would be the friction and steel plate, and those are WANTED friction.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
^^ Thanks Eminence, post OE radiator cooler it is then.

B.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BlackSportD, I run an aftermarket 3 row aluminum radiator right now. It doesn't have the factory flow passages. It's just straight on the external trans coolers.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
hmmm, very interesting setup there. I might need to look into this, although I have no room to mount on my radiator because of my fmic. Right now, my current tranny cooler is mounted in a custom v-mount setup below the fmic and radiator.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
The OE cooler is absolutely crap. Its nothing. It just sits underneath the radiator for little heat exchange.

+rep thats alot of cooling. i know someone that could use a cooler setup that large.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Holy cooler batman.

My 4x4 V8 4runner with stock tranny tow cooler is maybe only 1/2 the size of one of those.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
I used to work at U-Haul, and we installed tranny coolers.

But not nearly that big, or that many! :)

+rep for the idea, and for taking my sarcasm.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dudes.. you are suppose to keep your fluid at an optimum operating temperature. If it is too cold you are going to face the same problems as too hot.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Dudes.. you are suppose to keep your fluid at an optimum operating temperature. If it is too cold you are going to face the same problems as too hot.
And that optimum operating temp would be?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Convential fluids don't like temperature extremes...too cold or too hot. BUT...I'm using a synthetic ATF which has a MUCH wider operating range. As I said, cold starts in 30-40F mornings and there was no slip at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts