Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its been talked about, and said that on a I6, it doesn't do much good, but DAMN it was hot!!! Saw a used Blue IS sold at South Bay Lexus that had the little things done, nice rims, tires, lowered about 2 inches, smoked tail lights... but best of all, a deep (like an V8 muscle car deep) yet Lexus quiet dual exhaust set up. For a second I thought it was an IS 430 on a tour or something. Any body know more about this car????

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
you saw it on the lot? or on the street? hmmmm, might have to swing by to take a look...and plus, best buy is just down the street, so i'll make it 2 stops in 1... :D

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't do, I saw it as it was being driven away, sold. I wish I could have taken pics, it waw sick. But even better would be to talk to the previous owner and/or the installer that did the job, I would really like to know the specs.

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
the whole dual exhasut on an I6 being bad is a load of crap, every other company with an I6, old benz I6 beamers (that don't use turbo's) all use dual exhaust, the IS was done this way cause they could use basically the smae molds and such as the alteza, it was a whole hell of a lot to manufacture than making it dual, if you did a TRUE dual exhaust you would make decent power, not a Y-piped which is what most peopel do

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
somguy2u said:
the whole dual exhasut on an I6 being bad is a load of crap, every other company with an I6, old benz I6 beamers (that don't use turbo's) all use dual exhaust, the IS was done this way cause they could use basically the smae molds and such as the alteza, it was a whole hell of a lot to manufacture than making it dual, if you did a TRUE dual exhaust you would make decent power, not a Y-piped which is what most peopel do
I looked under the car and I could see that he just Y-piped it to two muflers, but at least it looked like 3" piping and it was still sweet. Would be nice to have the money to run it dual from the manifold. I guess the IS 430 proved that there is room to do that.

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
they do it about half way back , and the two pipes are bigger than the one pipe that they go into, kinda silly if you ask me, if you get a header you coudl custom somthign up for around 4-500(maybe x2 if they aren't nice) i bet and still use mandrel bent pipes, go to liek a custom exhasut place for cars or even maybe motor cycles if you are really interested, they are surprisingly good at it, they might even have a mandrel so you can still have mandrel bent pipes

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are kits for the Altezza you can get, rear bumpers by Zees. It would probably sound good but I don't think you would get as much benefit power-wise because,when it comes down to it, you still only have one manifold. If the next IS is V6 I bet it will come with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.