Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hanging out with some friends at a local coffee shop & when we were getting ready to leave, some dude rear-ends this lady sitting at a red light. She was in the left turn lane when he hit her. They both sat there until the light turned green & when she turned left, he took off straight! I shout to my brother "Lets chase him & get his plate number!" We hop in my car & chase his ass down. (The dumb lady just pulled over & sat there) So, we get near enough to read his plate & then call the police & tell them I am following a drunk driver who just did a hit & run. I give her the plate number & where we are. I keep telling her where we are and what the cross streets are since he kept doing u-turns, at one point pulled over to look at his car, then got back in it & ran up on the curb doing another u-turn. After like five minutes of following this guy, the cop on the phone realizes that I'm not the victim & tells me to stop following him. She says that she has alerted the cops in the area but thats all she can do as of right then because there was no victim yet. I guess the victim has to call. Just pisses me off that I'm trying to help them catch a hit & run drunk driver & she tells me that they will keep an eye out for this guy. :pissed:

Do you think I did the right thing? Or just should have said "Sucks for her" & been on my way?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well, you certainly did the right thing by calling it in, but you have to see it from the police's viewpoint in terms of you tailing the suspect.

One, there is the chance that the being in such close and constant proximity to the drunk driver could involve you in an accident with him/her. The police doesn't know how exactly how you're tailing him/her.

Second, there is also the chance the drunk driver (whose judgement is obviously compromised) could misinterpret your intentions and take off a la movie chase. I mean, your intentions aren't obvious because you're not in a cop car. He/she could fear for his/her life and gun it. Then there is the very real possiblity of an serious accident and death to the drunk driver or innocent drivers.

So good for you for being a concerned citizen. We definitely need more folks like you. But you gotta understand that there are other considerations and viewpoints which need to be accommidated.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
What you did was good. You should have given the plate number (and written it down or memorized it to give it to the victim) and an accurate description of the car to the dispatcher. That is all you really could do. No, the victim does not have to call in themselves--at least right then they didn't have to. For the safety of yourself and others it is not wise to follow/chase the drunk driver--although I admit I would have followed, but at a distance so the driver did not know I was following them. What if the driver stopped and got out of his car because he wanted to fight you or what if he pulled out a gun? Even if the guy went home that night, and if you gave the victim and the dispatcher the plate and car discription, the police would catch him.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
th reason they told you to stop following him is because they didn't want you getting into anything with him... the man is a desperate drunk that's being followed. You definitely did the right thing, and you did your job... I wish there were more people like you in the world.

·
Registered
121 Posts
if cops suck next tme you have a problem, don't call the cops take care of it yourself. ie... your house gets burglarized or someone steals your car. another ie... when that person tries to break in to your house do not call 911 you confront that person on your own. :lol:

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
the same thing happened to me about a month ago. I was sitting at a light at some guy who seemed like he was drunk, and probably uninsured comes sliding around a turn, hits a curb and crashes into the back of a crown vic. I didn't think anyone in the crown vic got hurt, so i took off after the drunk guy and got his plate number and called the cops. The 911 dispatcher promptly told me to stop chasing the guy. I didn't get too close to him after I got his plate # because I didn't know if he was even aware I was following him and I didn't want him to crash into me too or pull out a gun or something like that. You did the right thing in getting a plate number and at least trying to keep an eye on him until a cop could get there. The police just don't want you to get hurt or something bad happen.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You definitely did the right thing, go you.

Sucks that the cops couldn't do anything, they have a lot of 'silly' rules they have to follow, either that...or they are just really lazy.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Kinda biased opinion cause I'm related to so many cops, but I've always had the impression people hated cops cause they got caught doing somthing they wer'nt supposed to, and they get mad when they need a cop and they arent around. But when your being mugged and a cop saves your life, your opinion changes... am I right? Flame away/opinions?

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
Nope... even if a cop intervenes and probably stops a confrontation that could have led to death/injury - he is still an asshole for being rude, not friendly enough or any of 100 other reasons.

-Justin

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Truckzilla said:
Kinda biased opinion cause I'm related to so many cops, but I've always had the impression people hated cops cause they got caught doing somthing they wer'nt supposed to, and they get mad when they need a cop and they arent around. But when your being mugged and a cop saves your life, your opinion changes... am I right? Flame away/opinions?
haha, you hit the nail on the head with that one

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Justin.b said:
Nope... even if a cop intervenes and probably stops a confrontation that could have led to death/injury - he is still an asshole for being rude, not friendly enough or any of 100 other reasons.

-Justin
Ever wonder what makes them that way? I tend to think I'd be that way too if people we're rude or out to kill me every day I put on the uniform.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
Cops are there to restore order... if you get too friendly with the people fighting - they're just going to ignore you and continue their fight with you in the middle.

The problem is that a lot of people are expecting the cop on the scene to hear the entire case and render a verdict. When they don't get a full trial by the side of the road they think the cop didn't do their job. The thing is, there are other civil servants whose job it is to listen to your full side of the story. They're paid much better than cops - they're called judges.

When I gfet pulled over I don't give excuses, I don't argue with anything the cop says. On the side of the road, I am always going to lose the argument. My chances are better in court.

-Justin

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Nah... u did good. Atleast u help her out some how. I wouldve done the same.

Cops on the other hand are assholes. Especially in Ny.... there really big pains in the asses. They think they know it all, and they can do watever they want. That pisses me off. This is the best story. I was with my bro in the car driving at a red light. There was a cop in the right lane. Well the cop decided to go while the light was red. My brother wasnt paying attention to the light but saw that the cop went thru thr red light and di the same. The cop pulled him over the next block. He ended up not getting a ticket cause he told the cop u went thru the light and it was red. He was speechless, and i was crackin up. We got away with nothing and just went on our way.

That is all.

Carry on.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
the cop went thru thr red light and di the same. The cop pulled him over the next block. He ended up not getting a ticket cause he told the cop u went thru the light and it was red. He was speechless, and i was crackin up. We got away with nothing and just went on our way.[/quote]

I did the same thing once...was talking to a girl in my car, and noticed the car next to me going...thought the light was green, it wasnt. Stopped about 5 feet over the line before i realized it...and backed up so i wouldnt block traffic. After being pulled over and asked if I was trying to race him, i POLITELY explained what happend, and he laughed and let me go. (they're not that bad)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
14 Participants
Truckzilla
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing