Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acura of MIAMI brought an Acura TL Type-S to our track event in Homestead this past weekend. They were letting people drive the Type-S around to see what it was like. MAN it does not even come close to the IS300. The Type-S feel ALOT more heavier than the IS and not as nimble. The only this is that I reallized how bad the TRANY problem really is on the IS300. The TL shifts VERY SMOOTH compared to the IS300. WE NEED TO GET THIS ECU thing fixed!! ASAP!!! The IS300 wins hands down. BUT DAMN THE ECU/TRAC problem!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
The TL-S does has it's advantages over the IS300 at least admit that. It's not that bad, you do need to know how to tame it just like the CLS in the corners though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have driven both and think that each have their strengths -- depends on what you are looking for.

If I were going the luxury/comfort route, I would go with the TL-S. Tons of HP, drives better than my girls CL-S and has a lot of interior room. The styling is typical Acura bland -- I personally think that the TL-S and CL-S are a couple of the most boring looking cars on the road -- girlfriend loves to hear me say that! Great bang for the buck and the navigation system is one of the best out there.

If I wanted a more sporty car that handles and has the looks to go with it, I would go with the IS. The power that the IS delivers is definitely adequate, but it doesn't have the pull or the off-the-line power that the Type-S does.

These are both cars that I am considering after dumping my POS 00 Audi A4 1.8T.

Just my $0.02 worth...

FYI -- throw a set of Comptech headers and the exhaust on the Type-S and you have just added another 30HP to the wheels -- for a total of around 290 -- not too shabby

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by comptechcls:
The TL-S does has it's advantages over the IS300 at least admit that.

I'm not saying nor did I write that the TL is crap. I'm a former Type-R owner and a current NSX owner. I love ACURA's. BUT the TL feels "tankier" than the IS300. And I know that it has 260HP but it just doesn't feel like. Just like the CL-S. I was going to buy the CL Type-S but I just could not feel the HP. Maybe it's the AUTO trany. For LUXURY though the TL is VERY nice. Except for the plastic on the doors.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Originally posted by AnythingButAudi:

These are both cars that I am considering after dumping my POS 00 Audi A4 1.8T.

What happened with your Audi? I'd be interested to hear the list.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've also driven the new TL since it was on my list of possible cars to buy. My first impression of the interior was WOW. It is really nice, has lots of room, and real comfy. BUT, the exterior I was a little disappointed in. Also although the power and straight line acceleration were great, the car felt like a boat sort of. Was no way as nimble as the IS. Thats why Im still sticking to the IS. Even though the power aint as great, it is sufficient, and looks a hell of a lot better. I'll probably get the manual anyways, so straight line accelleration between the two cars will be about the same. But overall, Acura still has a winner on their hands...

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Originally posted by comptechcls:
The TL-S does has it's advantages over the IS300 at least admit that. It's not that bad, you do need to know how to tame it just like the CLS in the corners though.
Where the hell have you been? What have you been up to?

·
Registered
455 Posts
the tl-s is a very nice car for that price...it would be hard for any normal driver to pick the IS over the acura...That being said, for the enthusiast, IS should be more fun to drive, the tl-s is suppose to have better suspensions than the regular tl but my friends whos driven it says it still feels like a boat...

oh yeah, the IS looks hella nicer than the TL-S

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Originally posted by lexflex:
I'll probably get the manual anyways, so straight line accelleration between the two cars will be about the same.
Are you saying the stick IS and TL-S will have the same straight line acceleration?
uh.... don't think so....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by AltezzaRoku:

BTW Bridgestone asked our club to come to Pro Player Stadium to test their new tires S-03 Pole Position and the RE950. The tires (tire) were on 325 BMW's. They did not have the S-03's mounted on any of the cars due to them not being ready yet. I guess they will be out soon. But the BMW 325 CAN'T even be compared to the IS300. They shouldn't even mentioned in the same sentence like I just did. AGAIN, the IS300 walked all over it! But again the TRANY and the ECU thing!

Also, 2 truck unloaded at Homestead Raceway some new Infinity Q45's. ALL of them with NAV. system. I guess they were setting up for some Nissan thing since Nissan now owns Homestead Raceway. Anyway, those cars are really sweet and come with 18's stock!!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Nah, I drive a G4 but like to hang in this forum. I've always had a soft spot for Audis though.

Originally posted by 86MYIS300:
Hey is this BradTT from audiworld.com?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Originally posted by Agent Smith:
Where the hell have you been? What have you been up to?
Hey Agent Smith!
Never thought you would ask where I have been LOL. Nothing much man just fixing SQL Databases and screwing the G/F. Since my G/F drives an IS300 they're not fun to whip anymore around town

I did beat a CL-Type S in the IS300 though, got ahead of him and cut him off like I was mel gibson in the Road Warrior. If he can't pass me he can't outrun me

How have you been, assuming stupid is an incurable disease.......

·
Registered
455 Posts
AnythingButAudi...just out of curiosity, have owned any other Audis besides your 1.8T? I know Audi has always had reliability issues but none of the people I know that drive audi (A4s and A6s) have had problems with their cars...maybe you got a lemon? And doesn't Audi have good maintenance programs?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I dont know about that I have had two friends with audi's. One 1.8 and the other a 2.8 those things are straight lemons! at least the two that I have known people to have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tested it out the other day also, I can't see much difference in it except in the high end. It definately is faster in straight line than my IS. What puzzles me last year sometime Motor Trend did a test on the base TL and it hit 60 in 6.7 sec. Car and driver did a small test on th 02 TLS and it hit 60 in 6.4 I think.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To try to answer all of your questions:

1. First Audi ever -- as I mentioned, I have a lot of experience with VWs -- everything from the original, 84 GTi, to a 89 16v and most recently 95 (1st year) VR6 GTi -- even had a couple of rabbits squeezed in there along with my first car, a silver 81 Dasher Diesel Wagon -- 0-60 in about 5 miles -- used to get great gas mileage with four of us in the car with 6 surf boards on the roof -- used to blast from the DC area to Hatteras quite a bit in that car -- believe it or not, I miss it...

Sorry to ramble -- had a blast from the past...

Before these problems started, I was in the process of deciding on what color/options S4 Avant I was going to go with IF I decided not to do an APR Stage III+ on my current A4 -- definitely upsides to each and it was proving to be a very difficult decision.

Anyway, on with the story and to try to answer the rest of the questions.

The problems:
- Brakes squeeled like mad since about 750 miles on the car. Took it to the dealer for the first and second services complaining about the brakes -- both times, nothing wrong -- didn't hear anything. Took it in for the 15K brakes worse than ever before. I get a call and the service rep says they don't hear anything. At this point I have had it -- I tell them pull the f**king wheels off and inspect the brakes. I get another call back 15 min later -- could tell something was wrong -- ENTIRE rear brake system needs to be replaced -- calipers, rotors, pads and lines -- great, I have been driving around with bad brakes for possibly 14K+ miles. Additionally, this tells me that the dealer service dept never pulled the wheels to inspect the brakes -- incompetence in my opinion. A customer complains about the brakes, you do a thorough inspection -- a liablity potentially! Well, they finally fixed those...

The upgraded Bose system that I so foolishly paid $650 for, has sucked since the day I got it. When you turn the car off and the radio is still on and turn the car back on, it is on a different station by .2. If you have a CD in, it jumps from song to song on no regular interval. Backorded for 5-6 months but after going on a tirade on the phone, AoA expedited the order -- got within 3 weeks.

I was definitely loosing boost after the break in period -- which I did meticuously. You would figure that a turbo-charged car would have a boost gauge -- not so in the Audi (even in the S4). It was the BPV -- great!

Still get a "stuttering" between 2500-4000 RPMs under WOT -- not like before but noticeable. The verdict -- DBW -- the solution -- live with it! Great...

The latest -- major gas fumes coming into the interior of the car. No drip so I was assumming that it was an exhaust leak -- just found out today that it was a loose vacuum line -- great, so it was dripping gas on the engine/manifold. I called the service department on Monday (appt scheduled for Wed) and told them that the odor was unbearable and I was starting to get nervous driving the car -- oh, well -- can't take you until Wed -- no cares what-so-ever -- never offered me a loaner or anything. I get hot and call AoA (they know me by name there at this point) -- they get on the phone with the dealer -- please bring the car in right away -- get there and pull into the garage -- everyone couldn't believe how bad the odor is. The service mgr tells me that the rep thought I had a fuel consumption problem -- this is the same guy that schedule my appt when I was there in person -- yeah, right -- I tell the mgr that this guy is lying. Anyway, I end up with an Enterprise Blazer.

The purchase experience of this car was the worse I have ever experienced -- and I have purchased quite a few new cars. The overall service that I have received from the service dealer and AoA has absolutely sucked.

I am confident that I just happened to get a "bad one." But at the same time, I am so over it and am in a situation where I can unload a 7 mth old car and be done with it.

So I hope I

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Yelllex, any word on the Potenza RE950s? We're thinking of buying those for my brother's car, any idea if they're good?

Originally posted by YELLLEX:
Originally posted by AltezzaRoku:

BTW Bridgestone asked our club to come to Pro Player Stadium to test their new tires S-03 Pole Position and the RE950. The tires (tire) were on 325 BMW's. They did not have the S-03's mounted on any of the cars due to them not being ready yet. I guess they will be out soon. But the BMW 325 CAN'T even be compared to the IS300. They shouldn't even mentioned in the same sentence like I just did. AGAIN, the IS300 walked all over it! But again the TRANY and the ECU thing!

Also, 2 truck unloaded at Homestead Raceway some new Infinity Q45's. ALL of them with NAV. system. I guess they were setting up for some Nissan thing since Nissan now owns Homestead Raceway. Anyway, those cars are really sweet and come with 18's stock!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by ckolsen:
Yelllex, any word on the Potenza RE950s? We're thinking of buying those for my brother's car, any idea if they're good?

ckolsen, The 950's are GREAT tires!! We got to drive 3 sets. 1 with full tread, one with shaved tread and the other set DAMN near slicks. The tire are GREAT in the wet and the dry. We campared them to the PILOTS (which I have on the NSX) and the 950's were better over all. This IS going to be my next set of tires on the IS300.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.