Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, not sure if you know or not, but I'm a service advisor for Lexus of London (London, Ontario, Canada). This morning we got three of the new IS' in; an IS 250 RWD (auto), and IS250 AWD (auto) and an IS 350 (auto of course). Two were gun metal and the other was deep blue, very nice. The IS 250 AWD has accelleration very similare to that of the out going model, and is fairly well behaved (it rained all day here). But the IS 350 is pretty fun to drive, and I was amazed to see that it is infact possible to turn the traction control off! And no it does not turn back on on it's own! Anyways, we got these cars in ahead of schedule because we are having an official launch party at Club Pheonix here in London, so if any of you are in London tomorrow night (October 13, 2005) head to Club Pheonix and ask for Brad Van Bakel, and I will see to it that you get in! Collective Soul is playing as well as some local tallent! I am going to try and take some pictures so keep your eyes peeled!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Eh? Traction control off? When I autocrossed the IS350 I was told there was no way to do this, and there was none I could find. Shame you're doing the event on a Thursday night or I'd drive down. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya man, I swear on it, I will even try to snap a pic tomorrow, although, it will be pretty dark im sure...either way when it get back to the dealership, I will definately take a pic of it! Our master tech that did the PDI (pre delivery inspection) on it did a small brake stand just before he left the shop...I couldn't believe my eyes, and sure enough when I drove it...sideways for about 40 meters or so (hahaha) it didn't turn back on the whole time!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wow whacky. I believe you, I just didn't think it was possible. Do you know how it's done? Button on the dash, or something else? I looked everywhere for a VDIM off button or some such when I drove the IS350, like everywhere, and didn't see it. And everyone whose been in one has said the same thing, so it's awesome to hear that it could indeed be possible.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think TRAC and VDIM are different? Someone pleasse correct me if I am wrong.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Yes, TRAC is PART OF the VDIM system. VDIM is the collection of party-poopers, it's not a single system. The TRAC part can be turned off, but from what I understand (haven't tried this myself) will turn back on once the vehicle reaches a certain speed (around 20?). It (the off switch) is there to allow wheel slippage in certain condtions (snow, rain) where the vehicle could not otherwise move without it.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
webmaster said:
Yes, TRAC is PART OF the VDIM system. VDIM is the collection of party-poopers, it's not a single system. The TRAC part can be turned off, but from what I understand (haven't tried this myself) will turn back on once the vehicle reaches a certain speed (around 20?). It (the off switch) is there to allow wheel slippage in certain condtions (snow, rain) where the vehicle could not otherwise move without it.
Cool, bec that's what I was thinking few weeks ago, If you can't turn the track off, how the hell are you going to get out of snow if you ever get stuck in it. You will just sit there and choke the engine.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
IS JOE said:
My guess would be with this buton here ;) :

image credit: flipside909
Hehe yup. I took that pic purposely to shut the naysayers up that the New IS doesn't have a TRAC OFF button.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts