Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a pretty nice car, nice steering, brake feel, shifter is fine, the engine is torquey and smooth, and sounds kinda nice. The interior is pretty good and roomy, plenty of headroom, plus the hatchback is great. Good gas mileage.

Negatives were the clutch, very light and a bit hard to feel anything, and the center console hurts my right knee. Front drive only at start, and quattro comes in 8 months on the 3.2L V6, and DSG only, no manuals.

My girlfriend liked it a lot, and might (in a year or two) trade her WRX for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,644 Posts
I read the review for the new Golf GTi. It has the same engine as the A3. The new 2.0 turbo engine looks impressive on paper. Max torque at 1800rpm. I think once they add quattro and DSG, it'll be a pretty sweet car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
uberchuckie said:
I read the review for the new Golf GTi. It has the same engine as the A3. The new 2.0 turbo engine looks impressive on paper. Max torque at 1800rpm. I think once they add quattro and DSG, it'll be a pretty sweet car.
When they add Quattro to wich??
Because i dont remember any golf's with awd systems.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
illest_G said:
When they add Quattro to wich??
Because i dont remember any golf's with awd systems.
Only the R32 has AWD, but the A3 gets Quattro in 6 months, in the 3.2L V6, but it will be DSG (direct shift gearbox) only, no manual. Later there may be a 2.0T Quattro and/or a manual Quattro, but it's not confirmed.

Also it's not confirmed if the Golf GTI will get 4motion, but definitely the R36 will get AWD, to go with the 300+ hp V6.

To me, VW's lose their appeal when they get into the $30k range though.
 

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
Joined
·
5,631 Posts
dont those A3's run around 25k base, and hit 35k loaded???? i know i wouldnt drop that much on a mini hatchback.

I tried pricing a new A4 with options similar to my stock 01 IS , and went over the 40K mark in a hurry... im not feeling the new VW/Audi pricepoints at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
amitkc said:
dont those A3's run around 25k base, and hit 35k loaded???? i know i wouldnt drop that much on a mini hatchback.

I tried pricing a new A4 with options similar to my stock 01 IS , and went over the 40K mark in a hurry... im not feeling the new VW/Audi pricepoints at all.
They are worth it...
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
amitkc said:
dont those A3's run around 25k base, and hit 35k loaded???? i know i wouldnt drop that much on a mini hatchback.

I tried pricing a new A4 with options similar to my stock 01 IS , and went over the 40K mark in a hurry... im not feeling the new VW/Audi pricepoints at all.
It seemed to be $30k loaded with premium, cold weather, sport and auto. Not sure how you'd get to $35k.

I'm not sure why having a hatch suddenly makes the car overpriced though. It was as roomy as a 3 series or IS300 inside. Or 'as cramped', depending on your perspective.
 

·
Deus Vult
Joined
·
7,023 Posts
rllis300 said:
I wish Audi would send us an S3.
I second this. Any particular reason Audi didn't send the S3 to the states aside from one of the general ones like competiton with other models in the family, would not be viewed with the same regard/respect as it is overseas, etc...?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NMOne said:
I second this. Any particular reason Audi didn't send the S3 to the states aside from one of the general ones like competiton with other models in the family, would not be viewed with the same regard/respect as it is overseas, etc...?
Well, the European car mags prefered the R32 to the S3 almost unanimously, that probably didn't help.

I think you might see one here, if the A3 is not a failure. First you'll get an S-Line probably.
 

·
Übercargeek
Joined
·
16,623 Posts
ckolsen said:
...and the center console hurts my right knee.
That's a typical Audi trait. When doing my car shopping that resulted in getting my IS, I also test-drove an Audi A4 3.0 V6 Manual. A wide center console that makes the driver feel too hemmed-in and that induces borderline claustrophobia is one of the main reasons I discarded it.
 

·
Übercargeek
Joined
·
16,623 Posts
NMOne said:
I second this. Any particular reason Audi didn't send the S3 to the states aside from one of the general ones like competiton with other models in the family, would not be viewed with the same regard/respect as it is overseas, etc...?
I'm not even sure if Audi has released an S3 version of the current, 2nd-generation A3. If they have, it's only available as a 3-door hatch, and the Audi rep at the NY Auto Show stand told me there are no plans to bring over the 3-door A3 to the U.S. And I know for a fact there's no S3 version of the A3 5-door (yet). Hopefully at the Frankfurt Auto Show this fall...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,801 Posts
Did you get a chance to take a look at the VIN of the car you test-drove, or look at the door label to see where it was manufactured? My biggest problem with a lot of the current VWs is that the N.American versions are manufactured in Mexico/South America.

When the last Golf was first released, I believe some of the first ones were initially built in Germany, but later they were produced in Brazil. VW/Audi's reliability isn't the greatest, but i'd guess that the German built vehicles are better than the Mexico/Brazil versions.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
storm said:
Did you get a chance to take a look at the VIN of the car you test-drove, or look at the door label to see where it was manufactured? My biggest problem with a lot of the current VWs is that the N.American versions are manufactured in Mexico/South America.

When the last Golf was first released, I believe some of the first ones were initially built in Germany, but later they were produced in Brazil. VW/Audi's reliability isn't the greatest, but i'd guess that the German built vehicles are better than the Mexico/Brazil versions.
I think all the Audis are built in Germany, or Austria.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
ckolsen said:
I think all the Audis are built in Germany, or Austria.
im pretty sure they are

jruhi4 said:
I'm not even sure if Audi has released an S3 version of the current, 2nd-generation A3. If they have, it's only available as a 3-door hatch, and the Audi rep at the NY Auto Show stand told me there are no plans to bring over the 3-door A3 to the U.S. And I know for a fact there's no S3 version of the A3 5-door (yet). Hopefully at the Frankfurt Auto Show this fall...
I was told by an Audi dealer they are not going to produce an S3 but an RS3 that is supposed to be as fast or faster then the new S4 or RS4 (i cant remember).
 

·
Übercargeek
Joined
·
16,623 Posts
Audi just released official pricing on the A3 for the U.S. in this Automotive News article:

Audi A3 starts at $25,460
By Dale Jewett

Audi's new A3 wagon will carry a suggested base price of $25,460 when it goes on sale in mid May. The price includes a $720 destination charge.

The base A3 is equipped with a 200-horsepower, turbocharged 2.0-liter engine and six-speed manual transmission. For an extra $1,400, the A3 can be equipped with Audi's advanced dual-clutch automatic transmission.

Base equipment on the A3 includes side curtain airbags, side-impact airbags for the front seats, stability control, automatic climate control, remote locking, power windows, 17-inch alloy wheels and a 140-watt sound system with in-dash CD. Side impact airbags for the rear seats are optional.

Two equipment packages are offered. The Sport package lists for $1,800 and adds 17-inch bi-color wheels, sport suspension, leather-covered steering wheel, fog lights, sport seats and leather seat covering.

The Premium package lists for $2,025 and adds a trip computer, auto-dimming mirror with rain sensor, power driver's seat, fog lights and leather seats.

Additional options include a cold weather package with heated seats, mirrors and washer nozzles; high-intensity discharge headlights; and a glass roof panel with sunroof over the front seats.

Audi said that all its dealers in the United States and Canada have an A3 available for test drives. It is offering an incentive of 33 free song downloads for those who take a test drive and a free Bose speaker system for those who order an A3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,269 Posts
I drove the A3 and A4 last week too. Was not impressed at all with either. I couldn't even drive the A3 since everytime I tried to lift off the gas, my shoe would get stuck underneath the break. Those pedals are way to close together. THe interior was a lot cheaper than I would have liked for that price. The car is peppy from what I could tell in between my 10 second shifts.

The A4 was nicer, but I like last years model much nicer. That aluminim interior is just nasty, the car is MUCh slower than the A3 (duh), which make it a non fun to drive slow car. They went the cheap route moving cupholders, etc in the center console instead of the cool dash based ones. Eh, just crappy.

That 3 series looks nicer every day. Just can't be the value there IMO
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top