Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally after owning the car for 3 years, and have springs and shocks in my garage waiting to be installed for 2 years, I finally put them on.

Eibachs and Illuminas.

Here are the pics:

And last, but not least....

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Looks great. How do they ride on the SX?

Reactions: Squareback

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
They ride pretty good, nearly stock. Smooth roads you would never know the difference. It is kind of jarring on speed bumps, pot holes and those paver intersection cross-walks. For me it is fine, but your average joe or my wife for instance probably would not appreciate the firmness. It is not bouncy at all, just firm. Probably typical firmness for a "sports car", but not for a quasi-luxury, quasi-wagon. I could see it being tiring for long trips or once I get a little older. :lol:

I have only had them on a week, so not 100% use to the change in handling, plus I haven't had an alignment done yet, so can't really comment on the increased performance. Definitely much less body roll, and it looks really tough now. Also more responsive. Looking forward to getting some sways next.

The Eibach drop is advertised at 1 inch all away around. I read some places the drop in the rear of the SportCross might be as low as 1.5 inches.

My situation is a little convoluted. I bought used springs over two years ago on here, and unknowingly all four were cut. They fronts not too bad, but the rears when installed slammed the rear, till the exhaust was almost scraping.

So I bought a brand new set of springs, and had the rears installed, while I still have the used cut ones in the front (for now at least). Right now it is about 1.5 inches in the front and 1 in the rear or one really tight finger in the front, and two really really tight fingers in the rear. I will post up the exact measurements tomorrow, the numbers are at work.

To further complicate matters my rear tires and front tires are different, and the rear tires have a much more rounded shoulder than the front, so the "finger" test might be off. It also throws the visuals off as the front looks more full and the rear looks like it has more space.

Once the rear springs settle, if any, I will see how it sits. If they don't settle anymore I may put the new Eibachs in the front, to lessen the rake a little. I really want to avoid the look of it sagging in the rear though.

Also waiting to see if my garage can get it into specs with the cut springs on the front, if not, I'm definitely putting on the new ones in the front.

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
Hawt!

Hawtness! ;)

out 24, IOU +rep!

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks fellas!

Bryan, can you post up a picture of your drop? Did your rear settle any or was the drop 1 inch?

How much lower is my front that yours do you think?

Is my description of the ride the same as you are experiencing?

Here is that stats. Measurements were taken in inches from the ground to the bottom of the fender lip at the center of the wheel.

Before:

Driver Front: 26 1/8
Passenger Front: 26 1/4

Driver Rear: 26 7/8
Passenger Rear: 26 3/4

After:

Driver Front: 24 7/8
Passenger Front: 24 7/8

Driver Rear: 25 3/4
Passenger Rear: 25 3/4

Or about 1 3/8 in the front, and 1 1/8 in rear.

Reactions: Schr0eder

·
Registered
387 Posts
you were paceing yourself Al! looks great man!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey Al,

I'll have to try to let you know on Friday. I took some before/after pix, but need to find em'. I'll also try to compare measurements to yours.

Looks great though. It's a tasteful drop.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Looks good man.

·
Registered
135 Posts
that looks like a great drop and seems very commuter friendly.

we need new shocks for our sportx but i doubt my wife would let me lower it even a little bit.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My next car I think I will just get aftermarket shocks. The performance difference is noticeable and the stock ride comfort is retained.

I had it aligned over the weekend and the tech said he could not get the camber within specs. He said his printer was down, so I don't know the exact numbers though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had it aligned over the weekend and the tech said he could not get the camber within specs. He said his printer was down, so I don't know the exact numbers though.

Al, when I dropped mine, the alignment shop couldn't get the rear camber into spec either (a little too much neg camber), but with over 10,000 miles since then, the wear on my rear tires is even, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Stan

·
Registered
135 Posts
My next car I think I will just get aftermarket shocks. The performance difference is noticeable and the stock ride comfort is retained.

i think we'll just go get some bilsteins, i know in her car i will never get to take full advantage of koni's if we bought them. plus the extra cash saved can go towards bills.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts