Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really dont like the look of the license plate on my front bumper. I was wondering If i can take it off and put it in my front window and If it is still legal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
legal, no.

but ive been through 3 yrs.
several rolls.
at least 3 tickets.
2 minor accidents.

no tickets for it.

unless youre in like... fremont and get fixit raped you probably wont have to worry. but be aware, it still isnt legal.

·
Registered
518 Posts
if you're down here in socal i'd advise keeping it on your front bumper. I got pulled over a couple of months ago just cuz of thefront license plate issue (and my front plate was on my dash). The cops down here in socal are anal and will issue you a ticket wherever/whenever they can. So be careful.

G

·
0 Posts
parking enforcement also give out tickets if you don't have your front plate on.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Been driving in so cal for 31 years, never had a front plate and never got a ticket for it. The question is; do you feel lucky?
Dan

G

·
0 Posts
dgsg said:
Been driving in so cal for 31 years, never had a front plate and never got a ticket for it. The question is; do you feel lucky?
Dan
yeah, the car i had before the IS i drove around for about 3-4 years without ever getting a ticket for it, but i didn't want to risk it with the IS.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I went for years without a front plate on any of my cars, but I got several of them over the last couple of years, even when I had it on my dash. It doesn't usually work if you have it there, unless you get a really nice officer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea I guess Ill keep it on becuase im in norcal by the bay area in pleasanton and cops are dicks here

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
it really depends on the city. around the palo alto / mountain view area it's all good (actually most of the 650 is).

The day my mom bought her Mercedes S320, she drove it up to San Francisco and got a fix-it ticket :roll:

None of our cars have front plates, except for the van thing. The ticket above was the only time cops noticed.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
these days i would not risk it unless you are totally legal in allother ways & prepared to pay when they nail ya... the state is broke & those bastards are writing tix for every little thing....

it's only a matter of time....

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I been front plateless since September. Just keep your nose clean. Dont do anything to attract attention. I got a speeding ticket but the officer never looked up front. I see cops all the time coming my direction or driving by me or whatever, they never seem to care.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
rlee926 said:
I really dont like the look of the license plate on my front bumper. I was wondering If i can take it off and put it in my front window and If it is still legal.
I don't think the plate on the dash is worth it b/c it makes it really obvious that you have no front plate and it might rattle/slide around. It's illegal whether you have the plate on the dash or not, so might as well take it off and just put it inside your trunk for future use.

BTW I actually talked to a cop about this today (what a coincidence) and he said that his department accepts that most of the higher-end cars today don't have front plates and it's not something they pursue.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I got my is in june 2000 and have had no front plate, never got ticket, have front tint, got rolled 1 time..

thats it.. I live in oc, usually they nail you for everything, I am shocked that I have never been pulled over for front plate..

just carry your plate and zip ties in your car, if you get stoped, take it out and say, I just bought these zip ties right now, do you want me to put it on now?

I have used that one before when i used to have a truck...

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
my mom has a GS300 and has no front plate and has never been pulled over for it (or for anything else for that matter). And I live in a small town where just the other day, my dad got pulled over for having his lift on his truck too high and that he needed mud flaps. Thats not the bad part. Cops here are so bored..that when he got pulled over..there were 3 cop cars..5 officers.

·
Registered
947 Posts
i put mine on the front side of the passanger visor. so you can flip it down when driving and flip it up parked. also when i lived in NY it was only legal to have it on the front of your car. so i put mine behind the front grill and i was legal. i don't know if that is the same here in cali.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My dealer already bore holes through the bumper skin for the plate mounting bracket, too bad. If I take the bracket off (which I have) leaving the holes exposed to the elements, is there any weather damage that might be done to the bumper?

TIA-

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
bumper is urethane... no problem if water gets inthe holes... i too had same problem... fuking holes already in there....

& consider this, if you have even slightly tinted front windows, or runanything like clear side markers, blue DRLs anything like that, you are potentially asking for the man to tap yer ass at the least opportune moment.

... to all you who have never been hassled w no plate etc ... good for you & may the good angel of traffic cops keep smiling on yer souls... some others out here cannot leave the driveway with out some dick cop snapping up on us for these minor issues... luck of the draw i guess... you takes yer chances...

I'm tired of it & now run with my hand on the window controls ready to drop the fronts at the moments notice to avoid the hassles, i run the front plate no matter how shitty it looks, & even keep my tunes from bumpin too hard with the man around.... i don' need no stinkin' hassles :pissed:

edg

·
Registered
72 Posts
yeah i also agree with everyone else on this. running without the plate on the front bumper is like gambling. i htink your chances of getting pulled over increases if your car is modified. if its slammed with a kit on it, then you have a higher chance of getting pulled over! good luck with whatever you decide to do!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts