Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving on my 17'' winter tires and I've noticed that when i'm on the highway the RPM's are higher then usual. When I cruise at 80 with my regular all-seasons the RPMs are around 3000 rpms. But now even at around 70 it's at 3000 rpms.

So do winter tires (or different tires in general) affect your rpms when at higher speeds? :-?

·
Registered
660 Posts
tires are prolly bigger so when your speedo says 80 you're really going faster... when you mess with your tire's diameter it screws with your speedometer.

a larger wheel / tire combo takes longer to make one revolution which is gonna understate your speed which will make your RPMs seem higher... looks like you're gonna have to drive the speed limit according to your RPMs and not your MPH. good luck :D

if you had 15" wheels with 35 series tires your RPMs would "magically" drop

if i'm wrong, someone feel free to chime in but i think that's correct...

·
Registered
660 Posts
i'm around 3k at 80mph... post your tire size it'll make this a whole lot easier... i wouldn't be surprised if lexus screwed up.

there are three numbers in tire size delineated by a slash in case you don't know... hey you posted this thread so i don't wanna assume u know anything :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts