Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if there was any mods to help with automatic tranny drivetrain loss?? Like on LS1's you install CF driveshafts and stuff. Didnt know if there were any tricks at all to help. I have heard a fully built auto tranny helps. But I dont wanna have to go that far with it.

Thanks,
Chad(Aubie83)

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
I would do shift kit, LSD, valve body upgrade, and then of course you have the other piece.

You can get a custom made drive shaft if you want to spend the money. If you need one let me know...

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ITP said:
I would do shift kit, LSD, valve body upgrade, and then of course you have the other piece.

You can get a custom made drive shaft if you want to spend the money. If you need one let me know...
Well..I am getting a valve body upgrade..and pm me about that driveshaft :wink:

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
I'm 99% that nothing will improve the effeciency of the auto short of the driveshaft. It's all internal gearing, clutches, and such that sap the power. Making it shift faster or harder isn't going to improve the effeciency.

you'd have to re-engineer the internals.

It's amazing to me that you bitch about spending another 2grand on a turbo kit yet you'll waste thousands on pointless shit. You're one delusionaly sporadic motherfucker.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
^yeah...what I put was for performance gains..not to make it last...sorry for that...lol :lol:

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IS_Dude, I only wanted to "know" mods. I didnt say I was buying anything. And I even pointed out, that I didnt wanna spend alot of money. There's no need to be an ass. I asked a simple question. Thats all.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
smaller wheels. the smaller the radius from the axle to the ground, the less torque the ground has on your car thereby decreasing drag. plus lighter wheels will help.

smaller and lighter = faster.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
well i gave you a simple answer as well. And you directly implied it was something you were going to buy or get by saying
Aubie said:
I have heard a fully built auto tranny helps. But I dont wanna have to go that far with it.
at any rate here it is
I'm 99% that nothing will improve the effeciency of the auto short of the driveshaft. It's all internal gearing, clutches, and such that sap the power. Making it shift faster or harder isn't going to improve the effeciency.
As another mentioned you can go with smaller and lighter wheels as well. That will help. Reducing rotational mass always helps. The rest is futile unless you max out on turbo power. The dollar to power ratio has far more return in adding to the turbo setup. Messing with ounces and pounds is far more costly than adding psi.

Aubie83 said:
IS_Dude, I only wanted to "know" mods. I didnt say I was buying anything. And I even pointed out, that I didnt wanna spend alot of money. There's no need to be an ass. I asked a simple question. Thats all.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Frydryce said:
smaller wheels. the smaller the radius from the axle to the ground, the less torque the ground has on your car thereby decreasing drag. plus lighter wheels will help.

but does the benefit outweight the drawbacks of smaller, narrow tires. You'll have a smaller contact patch, so your rolling friction will be reduced, but for launching purposes you'd rather have a larger contact patch to maximize your grip and initial acceleration rather than spinning the tires like crazy.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
XCstud said:
Frydryce said:

but does the benefit outweight the drawbacks of smaller, narrow tires. You'll have a smaller contact patch, so your rolling friction will be reduced, but for launching purposes you'd rather have a larger contact patch to maximize your grip and initial acceleration rather than spinning the tires like crazy.
well are we talking about track? or drag strip? my 215's are fine for the track, but i wish i had 225's. about sizing, im talking mostly about the diameter of the rim. if you are running 19's then they are heavy and the increased radius will create more torque against the hub. if you want to have a good setup then run a set of TE37's or similar 17x9 in the rear and raise up the car a little.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts