Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, anyone ever heard of Drivesoft? What is it? Specs anywhere? I looked it up, but there website sucks and isn't very informative.......

·
8,880 Posts
xencloud said:
Hey guys, anyone ever heard of Drivesoft? What is it? Specs anywhere? I looked it up, but there website sucks and isn't very informative.......
Please, don't let me get started on Drivesoft. :pissed:
Specs is something you will not find, however, I do promise an unbelievable amount of BS. Hopefully the spam will not get started in this thread.

·
8,880 Posts
shady69 said:
Drivesoft is really hard to find info on. There is another system called Vealink that is just like drivesoft. Their website is www.vealink.com Check them out, I thought it was very cool.
Seems a bit weak on what they offer. Site is great, though. :approve:
Are you affiliated with the company?

·
Registered
24 Posts
vlad_a said:
Seems a bit weak on what they offer. Site is great, though. :approve:
Are you affiliated with the company?
No but I was looking for drivesoft and found the info on vealink and thought it was cool. If I didnt have factory navi I would get it.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yea, I know you can do a computer and then there's free software out there to run on it to tie all of the cars functions to a cool touchscreen GUI. The only problem I have is finding a computer that will be good for car stereo. I mean can you run pre-outs out of your computer? I'm a real newb when it comes to this stiff. I know computers, but I don't know how to integrate a computer with the stereo.....

also, can you do a crossover on your computer? (like I said, I'm a noob at this stuff :>)

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
xencloud said:
Yea, I know you can do a computer and then there's free software out there to run on it to tie all of the cars functions to a cool touchscreen GUI. The only problem I have is finding a computer that will be good for car stereo. I mean can you run pre-outs out of your computer? I'm a real newb when it comes to this stiff. I know computers, but I don't know how to integrate a computer with the stereo.....

also, can you do a crossover on your computer? (like I said, I'm a noob at this stuff :>)

Vlad_A, please PM me if the info is too long......I need help!
It's not as complicated as you think... audio really depends on how much you want to spend.

I had an Audigy 2 NX hooked up to my Diamond Audio amp (until it decided to stop working?) and it sounded great. Basically I just used an 1/8" miniplug to RCA connection.

But you can get much better cards than an Audigy. For example, M-Audio makes great budget musician cards. If you have an elaborate set-up, you can get a better sound card and have multiple RCA outs. The great thing is that, with the M-Audio, for example, you have great mixer software at your disposal. You can route inputs/outputs to different places, set levels, etc. And you can absolutely do your crossovers/filtering via software, although you do not have to.

I wouldn't be concerned with the output voltage from the sound card. In any install I'd recommend, your computer will be right next (or very close) to your amp(s). You don't have to deal with running the wires from the front to the back of the car like you do with a normal head unit.

shady69, what exactly are you referring to? AirCards?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, with a car computer, the possibilities are endless, I really have a hard time wrapping my head around all the stuff I could do with it wirelessly, cellularly, and otherwise.

Seems like you could pretty much integrate everything, which is what I want, but I don't know much about what adapters are available for all the different devices you could connect.........I need to research......

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
xencloud said:
Yea, with a car computer, the possibilities are endless, I really have a hard time wrapping my head around all the stuff I could do with it wirelessly, cellularly, and otherwise.

Seems like you could pretty much integrate everything, which is what I want, but I don't know much about what adapters are available for all the different devices you could connect.........I need to research......
The possibilites really are endless.

You may learn a thing or two from my CarPC thread: http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=248438

(I know I did ;))

·
8,880 Posts
xencloud said:

The main interface I recommend looking into is USB 2.0. It is widely available for all kind of devices, including audio and wireless internet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
azzurro said:
shady69, what exactly are you referring to? AirCards?
I know that the vealink system can access the internet. I was wondering if the CarCPU could do the same? Im not sure what hardware you would need. Will this aircard allow me to use my laptop in my car and how much does one of these cost? Also is there a monthly fee?

·
8,880 Posts
There are many different ways you can go online.

First is using 802.11x technology. This is the same thing as home wireless network. All you need is a USB Wi-Fi adapter and a network nearby. The upside is you can get a broadband connection and may not have to pay for it (parked at home or nearby free hot-spot). Cost of a USB adapter is from $5 to $100.

Second is cellular. Cellular goes through towers the same way as your cellular phone does. This is a service you have to sign up for. It can be rather expensive and slow. There are different technologies involved, depending on your provider. For GSM providers (Cingular and T-Mobile) you can either buy a PCMCIA “card” adapter or a USB one. They are called GPRS modems. Their speed is compared to dial-up, maybe 2x of that. Verizon offers something that is supposed to be quicker, unfortunately, they only offer their adapter in PCMCIA format. The cellular hardware ranges from $100 to $300 and monthly fees go from $30 to $70.

The only problem with PCMCIA is that you can’t get a fast motherboard with one built-in. There is an option of plugging a PCI to PCMCIA adapter; however, in order to have PCI expansion slots, the case size has to accommodate that. CarCPU unit doesn’t have PCI or PCMCIA expansion slots for the above reasons (not counting air-flow needed for proper cooling). However, it does have 8x USB 2.0 built-in, so either GPRS modem or 802.11x adapter could be used.

Hope that helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts