Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:suspiciou I was driving home from work today, pull outta work and get up to speed ~ 40mph. The driver side front end starts to feel like im hitting a pot hole over and over, like an up and down feeling. I pull over to inspect tires, did not see anything. All lugnuts are tight, just got my winter tires on Saturday ( got the alignment/rotation for life). I started home again and it felt like it stopped almost by the time I got home.

What could cause this bouncing action? Sorry, if anyone has ever felt this they might be able to describe this better. :confused:

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Were your winter wheels balanced in addition to getting an alignment?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they were, no problems or any unusual feeling had happened up to this point. I was thinking that after searching it could have been a sticky/ing caliper? Not sure how that works, I tried searching but didnt come up with much. Then again, wasnt sure what my problem was.?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Did you have any snow falls lately?

Seeing how this only happened since you swapped wheels... my gut feeling is that that is part of the problem.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, leaving work i was driving over about an inch of snow that hadnt melted, but the roads were clear everywhere else. Where my work is, no one cleans/salts the parking lot.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I'm wondering if snow or ice got into the rim and caused it to become unbalanced for a while.

After a large snow storm here... I had snow and ice build up in my rim. And when I hit highway speeds... the car shook pretty badly.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sounds like the tires are getting flat spots as they sit in the cold weather, then, when you drive on them for a while they round themselves back out. Some cheaper tires are not good at holding their shape when they sit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it didnt happen at all today. Not sure how cheap these tires would be considered, i got Blizzak LM-25s which were like 160 a piece.

·
Banned
371 Posts
ditto, and ditto.

sometimes the gravel and snow get caked up inside the wheel and it will cause it to counterbalance. also. cheaper tires arent always perfect, and do have flat spots, or even defects not noticable, but inside the tire itself.
but, if it hasnt happened again, i say you are ok. maybe snow like Crester suggested.

Also, wouldnt hurt to check underneath by all means :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Havent really had this problem again, so its looking good. Hopefully i wont either. Is 160 bucks a tire a low end snow tire? Man, thats depressing

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Hopefully it was just snow/ice caught in your rim.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Could definitely be snow/ice stuck on the inside of the rim.
Sometimes over the winter i notice a similar situation with flat spots on my snow tires. They are Michelin PA2's, certainly not cheap tires, but if its cold and the car sits for a while (overnight like 12 hours) i find it happens for about the first minute of driving. Its especially noticeable when you get up to speed quick.
Either way its not a problem i'd worry about, although a quick look around the wheel and under the car can't hurt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts