Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I currently have the GROM iPod integration, but am going to be using it with my Harmon Kardon Drive + Play unit that I got off ebay for $25 shipped haha. You can get these ridiculously cheap, and while I didn't think they were worth retail, they are super nice for $25. Anyways what had always held me back is I wanted direct integration, not FM transmitter or cassette tape, but I'm going to be using both GROM and Drive + Play. My issue is I have no idea where to mount the knob/controller. My IS300 is a manual so I don't have room near the shifter. On top of the cup holder lid is perfect, but then I won't be able to open the lid. On the ashtray seems like a good spot, but when in 5th I won't be able to use the knob. I was thinking about making a bracket out of sheet metal that would come out of the right side of the head unit and angle over, but seems like too much work.

Any ideas?

Oh and if you don't know what this is, here is a picture of knob/controller and screen...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If you don't use your cig lighter, it would fit perfectly over that. I have the grom unit now (having issues with it), and a drive+play from my old car. I haven't installed it yet cause i don't know any good positions for the knob. I have the push button start on my cig lighter so i can't install it there.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
how about where the coin holders are? the only downside i see is it can only be used by the driver.

how about in the cup holder, so you can close up the cup holder and it wont be seen. you will only have one cup holder left. but it will look super clean.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well heres the thing, I want it in reach of my passenger. On the cig lighter would work, but I would hate the thought of not being able to use it (I know about the second one also). What I think I'm going to do is either make a bracket, or see how well the 3M adhesive works and make it come of the right side and angle out, I'm not sure. I'll take pictures when I do it though...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I think I'm going to buy a proclip mount and mount the knob on that. I just couldn't come up with a good place in the car... The mount I'm buying looks like this...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well tonight I started to work on this and first I have to solder some RCA's to my stock amp, which I'm pretty sure I'm going to screw up. Let me just say removing the stock amp isn't easy haha, my hands are all jacked up now...

I'm going to slowly be working on this throughout the week, I can't finish it all in one night because I am waiting for my Proclip mount and I think GROM finally fixed the integration unit, and I believe they are sending out a new chip this week. So I'm just going to slowly work on it, because I don't want to get everything done and then have to tear my dash back apart to get to the GROM unit...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts