Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm going to drift events this year and was wondering if anyone had any advice or things to know about the IS that will help make a smooth drift. I've searched and did see the IS200 from UK but didn't quite see the info i was looking for. I have experimented with some techniques (clutch kick, power over, feint) that might work good with the IS but I'm not to sure how it would be at like 50-60mph. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks fellow ISers :)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm going to drift events this year and was wondering if anyone had any advice or things to know about the IS that will help make a smooth drift. I've searched and did see the IS200 from UK but didn't quite see the info i was looking for. I have experimented with some techniques (clutch kick, power over, feint) that might work good with the IS but I'm not to sure how it would be at like 50-60mph. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks fellow ISers :)
Im no expert but a 50-60mph drift unless your exp. i wouldnt try in a IS300. drifting is more driver skill though.

I use the force to drift.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
IS200 is lighter and has a different engine for one. Also you need to turbo charge your engine or something so that you have a good amount of power to work with. Finally you need to buy a 240sx and put a sr20det in it. I'd go with an s14 with the newer front end (cause it looks sweeeet), but really you should probably just get like an s13 instead. It's less money and you won't feel as bad when you smash it into a wall learning. GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im no expert but a 50-60mph drift unless your exp. i wouldn't try in a IS300. drifting is more driver skill though.

I use the force to drift.
thanks for the advice on force, i'll probably end up using it since it'll be the easiest for our four door to compete against the 2 doors.:cool:

Also i will definitely stay under that speed, idk wut i was thinkin when i said that. is 35-40 good?

·
Registered
565 Posts
who cares about drifting just ghost ride tha whip! chicks dig it.

drifting a 4 door FTL!

but there is a member here who only drifts his car.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
who cares about drifting just ghost ride tha whip! chicks dig it.

drifting a 4 door FTL!

but there is a member here who only drifts his car.
Here's some 4 doors that do pretty good. Ghost riding...not my style, chicks don't really like it either. Can anyone besides ChasenTeinIS03 give me good advice\techniques to use with the IS to drift? Starting to sound like i'm on my own here :pissed:

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I was giving good advice.

Dump a bunch of money into your car for safety things like, seats, harness, roll cage and probably want to get the air bags deactivated. Lets see...ad a bunch of HP, otherwise it would be too easy. Ummm drift button on your ebrake. Pull out your interior if you want to go that way. I don't know, are you actually serious about this or just fantasizing? Cause I'm being serious about getting a different car for this. You'll an easier time and more people doing what you are with the same or similar car and have the IS for street use. Good LUCK :)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Ghost Ride the whip off a cliff, actually don't ghost ride it, hop back in before it goes off and do us all a favor ;)

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
Maximus something or other....pro drifter (amateur zamboni driver!) he is more active on ISfanatics but I think he makes his way over here too.....he'd be good to contact for IS drifting advice

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys :)

Nicademus323- I just wanna be different because everyone around here has a 240sx around these parts and in drifting, so I was hoping to get along the lines of the drift Altezzas and show people you don't need a 2 door to drift good ;) I appreciate the advice too, i am pretty serious about this but not so much that i'm going to strip the interior. I will later on be getting racing seats and 5 point harness.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i would venture to say that its gonna be a little on the hard side to get into drifting in your IS with full interior and not alot of power. if you boost you would be ok. but without it and full interior it might be tricky. plus this is your daily driver and i wouldnt take the chance of drifting a daily driven lexus.

just my $.02

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I kinda agree with that. It is my daily driver and I'd be screwed if i wrecked it...but we'll have enough space to where i won't have to worry about it as much as some ;) I will be getting boost, but i figured if i can drift it while still NA then boost would only make it easier.

·
Registered
565 Posts
well wrecking it is one concern, but theres lots of other variables to be concerned about. blowin up the engine, rear end, tranny/clutch. just some things to think about because it is a daily driver

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here is what you want to start out with (keep in mind you dont NEED this to learn)
-bucket & harness
-2way diff
-coilovers
-MASSIVE amounts of seat time (every event that is within 100miles of your residence, you better be there)

from there on you can get power adders and all the other nonsense people are saying

oh and 30mph is way too slow IMO you generally want to be around at least 50mph, and dont be scared to crash its just part of drifting.

And also try going to a few auto-x's or open track days, cause no offense but it sounds like you dont know what your getting into

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
talk to max over at isfanatics.com

excellent driver with a lot of experience drfiting the is300. tons of vids and help for beginners. he is easy to chat with.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts