Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking of popping the tranny bolt and drain what I could and add some new fluid thru dipstick. Car has 200k miles with no previous maintenance record. My mechanic says they don’t shed clutch material so it’s be ok, whaddaya guys think? Also I would use probably the oem Toyota IV tranny fluid

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Was thinking of popping the tranny bolt and drain what I could and add some new fluid thru dipstick. Car has 200k miles with no previous maintenance record. My mechanic says they don’t shed clutch material so it’s be ok, whaddaya guys think? Also I would use probably the oem Toyota IV tranny fluid
It should be fine. I have done it several times.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It might not "shed clutch material" but it does have bearings and sprag (?) plates that wear so fluid changes help remove the debri. The risk is the particles will enter and jam up the solenoids and other moving components if not cleared somehow. Also the fluid is in a hydraulic circuit and is subject to shear and breakdown of its own properties, so new fluid is essential over time. I probably wouldn't both changing the gauze filter in the trans unless you have it apart, its more of a large particle filter than a fine micro filter like the engine uses.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doc looks Ike’s everyone suggests to do a drain and fill (I think this adds about 3.5 quarts of new fluid to the system from what I’ve read)

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did the drain and fill and 1000 or so miles later the fluid is kinda medium brownish again should I do another drain and fill?

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you only drained the pan then you have mixed about 1/3 new with 2/3 old, so yeah its going to be a lighter but same old colour. You will have to change it 3-4 times like that to get it all fresh and looking the right colour.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts