Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was driving on the freeway at night and encountered a cardboard moving box in front of me. I decided just to run over it since swerving might have caused an accident. however, the box became stuck underneath the is300 and after making several lane changes to dislodge it, i stopped at the side and took out the box, which was stuck underneath the engine part of the car. my question is whether there might be any potential damage to the car. i did smell something burning while the box was stuck underneath the car and dragging, but not afterwards, and i heard a pop 30 min. after i dislodged the box. thanks for any response. and should i take it to the dealer to check the car out, although it seems to be running fine?

·
Registered
448 Posts
antonio said:
i was driving on the freeway at night and encountered a cardboard moving box in front of me. I decided just to run over it since swerving might have caused an accident. however, the box became stuck underneath the is300 and after making several lane changes to dislodge it, i stopped at the side and took out the box, which was stuck underneath the engine part of the car. my question is whether there might be any potential damage to the car. i did smell something burning while the box was stuck underneath the car and dragging, but not afterwards, and i heard a pop 30 min. after i dislodged the box. thanks for any response. and should i take it to the dealer to check the car out, although it seems to be running fine?
you should put the car on a lift and take a look at the underside of the vehicle. i doubt that a box could have done much damage though. but it's always good to double check.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I once ran over a plastic shopping bag (one of those big ones you get from JCrew) and it caught onto the ehxuast pipe or something else really hot. The bag started to melt and began to smell like a mofo. No damage but the smell didn't go away for a few days even after removing the stray bag.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
antonio, did you run over Agent Smith's house again? :shame:

I wouldn't worry...most likely the smell you noticed was from the box burning a bit as it dragged under your car. Not sure what the popping noise was unless part of the underbody somehow "popped" back into shape (though I don't think it could actually pop b/c of its thickness).

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I agree with blue j, the popping is prolly the underbody panel reseeting itself. I figure if the box was small enough to fit under the car, it prolly can't do too much dmg to the car. If your parinoid just throw the car on the lift and check for anything, it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
antonio said:
antonio: how did you not realize you ran over this box ? i am just curious...any pictures ?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
chess said:
antonio said:
antonio: how did you not realize you ran over this box ? i am just curious...any pictures ?
"I decided just to run over it since swerving might have caused an accident. "

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
crontab said:
chess said:
antonio said:
crontab: not hard to swerve and miss it :) im just curious to how large this box was ? antonio ? ? lol..

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
chess said:
crontab said:
chess said:
antonio said:
crontab: not hard to swerve and miss it :) im just curious to how large this box was ? antonio ? ? lol..
That depends entirely on the traffic around you at the time.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
crontab said:
That depends entirely on the traffic around you at the time.
Bingo. And you wouldn't want to have run over what I have in the past...

...a Chain Saw!!! :eek:

I'm telling you, the drivers in Cali aren't the only threatening factors you'll encounter driving our freeways. Thank God I hadn't lowered my car yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts