Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you go turbo, wouldnt you need all the n/a mods anyways to maximize the hp potential of you turbo?

So why are people saying n/a mods was a waste of money and blah blah blah?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
When you go turbo, you wouldn't be keeping your aftermarket intake. So people who's deciding to get turbo down the line will think twice, since they'll eventually end up selling the intake anyway...more likely at a lost.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Mr.Pham said:
When you go turbo, wouldnt you need all the n/a mods anyways to maximize the hp potential of you turbo?

....what?....

well, in reality, ALL MODS are a waste of money, becuase none of them raise the value of the car (sometimes they actually lower the value of the car) and none of the parts or your vehicle ever go UP in value.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
if u get a exhaust: you will need atleast a 3" for boost not nesseasry but reccomended, header: need to loose cause u need the trubo manifold, but works with some header/SC's combos, intake: get rid of for turbo or s/c, AFC: low bost maybe ok, but better EMS should be used......only na mod usefull is cam gear, which works great for either na or boost.

riight??

Reactions: Mr.Pham

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
when you go turbo, you don't need an after market exhaust manifold (header) because your kit will come with the turbo manifold...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Mr.Pham said:

Most N/A mods with the exception of maybe a piggyback fuel will be useless under boosting conditions.

A Race header....garbage. You need a turbo manifold

An intake...........garbage. You will probably need to hack that into pieces or fab a new one for the turbo

Larger injectors.....in this case maybe your were building an motor, bored & stroked set-up. This may be beneficial if they are large enough to support some boost too.

A piggy back ECU (E-Manage, S-AFC2....)....good because this will allow you customize your fuel curves to boost or all motor.

Exhaust? Most N/A exhausts just wont cut it for turbo and create too much back pressure with turbo, which is the worst thing possible to do to your turbo. ESPECIALLY.....if you are one of those cheaters who uses an UBER large turbo with a small ass A/R on the exhaust side of the turbo so it spools quicker, but creates GREAT backpressure at higher RPMS. LOL (LOTS OF PEOPLE & COMPANIES ARE EAGER TO DO THIS)

Did I miss any other N/A mods?

In essence what people are trying to say is make up your mind from the start and stay with the plan. Don't waste $$. If you think your gonna go turbo, don't bother wasting $$ on N/A mods. Just start buying pieces of your turbo. Vice versa is true as well.

+ rep if this helped shed some light.

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
Dont list AFC-II as one you can save for a turbo cause you cant tune a turbo car with an AFC. Emanage yes but not an AFC

As far as intake goes you arent gonna chop it up or any of that if you go boost your gonna toss it.

Header yes you will use them for a S/C but not a turbo, Muffler you can really keep for both depending on HP output

Larger injectors? youd never put them on a N/A car cause if you had the money for a stroker kit you would boost it first and SAVE money.

DJ covered it pretty good though +rep for him

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
OKCIS said:
Dont list AFC-II as one you can save for a turbo cause you cant tune a turbo car with an AFC. Emanage yes but not an AFC

DJ covered it pretty good though +rep for him

True. It would need to supplied with something like AEM CDI ignition module.

Thanks!

·
Apricot idea killer
18,211 Posts
The big and really ONLY question here is if you plan to go turbo or s/c. If turbo, like most have stated, N/A crap is a waste. However, IF you are goine s/c then all is NOT a waste. I had intake, header, y-pipe, exhaust, emanage and little stuff like tech grounding, etc. I got a s/c and sold the intake. Left everything else without problems. Not a bad route to take if you're uncertain bout F/I, IMO. *insert yet another debate about t/c vs s/c.*

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
adamsheehy said:
The big and really ONLY question here is if you plan to go turbo or s/c. If turbo, like most have stated, N/A crap is a waste. However, IF you are goine s/c then all is NOT a waste. I had intake, header, y-pipe, exhaust, emanage and little stuff like tech grounding, etc. I got a s/c and sold the intake. Left everything else without problems. Not a bad route to take if you're uncertain bout F/I, IMO. *insert yet another debate about t/c vs s/c.*
Exactly. I didn't want to touch that argument that's why I did not mention S/C at all.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
hey what about my +rep... my shit was before dj and i said dont keep the safc.. and injectors... not on a bolt on NA.. hahhaa + rep to me from me = ).... ok now i am happy

Reactions: OKCIS

·
Apricot idea killer
18,211 Posts
ChinoXS203 said:
hey what about my +rep... my shit was before dj and i said dont keep the safc.. and injectors... not on a bolt on NA.. hahhaa + rep to me from me = ).... ok now i am happy
I'm all out of rep, but can give you a fockine cookie if you'd like.

Reactions: OKCIS

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
dasgalloway said:
It's because no one has created mods DESIGNED to be stepping stones yet. You just wait! ;)
Das quit it! You don't have the right anatomy to keep teasing us like this. :lol:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yogi_TRD said:
Das quit it! You don't have the right anatomy to keep teasing us like this. :lol:
werd das, you keep teasing. Should I wait for whatever shit your coming out with? :rolleyes:

+rep to dj and chino,

thanks for the info guys.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
Mr.Pham said:
werd das, you keep teasing. Should I wait for whatever shit your coming out with? :rolleyes:
If anyone wants to put a deposit down before I have it tested, I can get it done much faster. You'd be amazed how much money it takes to do something like this (right).

I'm as anxious as you are. :p

·
Registered
411 Posts
I agree there with das. If you plan right you will only have what you need. But He's working on a much bigger idea. Oh if you are E shift I would suggest a Valve body upgrade. I'm loving mine. ;) And it works with or with out boost really well.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
blondebond said:
I agree there with das. If you plan right you will only have what you need. But He's working on a much bigger idea. Oh if you are E shift I would suggest a Valve body upgrade. I'm loving mine. ;) And it works with or with out boost really well.

Yah your VB turned out well... go back to the track! lol

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dasgalloway said:
If anyone wants to put a deposit down before I have it tested, I can get it done much faster. You'd be amazed how much money it takes to do something like this (right).
...so about how long are we looking at here?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts