Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You're going to see this coming long before I did.

I'm still getting the '03 I bought sorted out. I had someone do PDR to remove the hail damage and a few other dings. I then brought it to someone to do a professional exterior detail to take out some scratches and marks. He did a fantastic job on body panels and a taillight with rub marks. Only had two or 3 minor chips remaining on the passenger door that with a bit a touch-up will be practically invisible.

So I'm driving home with a big grin about how good it looked and thinking the next thing to do is put on a clear hood bra to protect against road rash and HERE IT COMES - a stone bouncing toward me from traffic pretty far ahead on the highway. Had no way to avoid it. Hit solid on the leading edge of the hood, down to bare metal and the paint flaked away when I checked it later. And another chip about 2 inches further up the hood. Not as deep but it actually dimpled the hood. I heard it roll over the roof but fortunately there's no evidence of that. Talk about feeling gutted.

So now to do some chip repair. I'm going to try the Langka product hoping that will help. I know it won't be perfect but with the clear bra on it eventually it will probably be hardly noticeable.

I know it won't be the last chip over time but couldn't I have had more than just 15 minutes of joy that day?

The work goes on.
Don

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear about this Don! I would be so pissed! I get all flustered with any little rock I hear hit my car on the highway. What gets me really mad is those stupid semis filled with rocks and dirt and debris is constantly coming off those trucks.

Hope all goes well with the remaining repairs. Share us some pics of the finish product.

Cheers,
Josh

·
Registered
923 Posts
Get the clear bra!!!! I have one and I had the same thing happen, it took the initial hit and bounced up the hood, the second bounce chipped up the hood but I can only imagine the first hit would have probably dented the metal it hit so hard.

I bought one for like $35 off ebay with an upper and lower bumper cover, just take it to a prof. tinter to put it on for you if you're not skilled with the heat gun and squeege.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the clear bra on another car so I am a believer in the product. I just hadn't even made it home from the detailer to start the next step.

It must run in the family. Years ago my sister hit a deer. After a few weeks in the shop on the way home from there she got rear ended at a light. Drove it right back to the shop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got a ton of stone chips and not sure what to do about them. My car is black so they look terrible. don't want to repaint but if I do def. gonna do the clear bra. Its cheap if you do it yourself. I helped do it on my dad's Prius and it came out mint. It's held up good for 4 years now

·
Registered
72 Posts
damn i know how that feels. did it leave a dent?
I've fixed several cars that got dented like that, had to PDR the dent and then have a professional touch up guy take care of the paint.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
FYI, if the chip isn't filled flush to the surface, you will see an air bubble. I had one little chip on my bumper prior to getting clear bra. Now I have an air pocket between the film and the bumper. The shop did what they could, but the gap between the surface and the film is still visible. You should get xpel for your lights while you're at it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts