Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, fortunately this hasn't happened to me yet, but I was getting ready to replace my bulbs, and was wondering... obviously, if you touch the HID bulbs by accident, that is bad for them because the oils from your fingers will reduce the life of the bulb. But if you DID accidentally touch them, what could you do to fix it? Or are you SOL? Any way to clean them off? Thanks for the responses – hopefully I don't need them! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't remember where I saw it, but real HID bulbs are apparently made of a different glass from quartz/halogen filament bulbs. They actually run a lot cooler than tungsten, that's why their running rating is 33watts, and touching them shouldn't do any harm. If you're worried, then a good clean with alcohol, maybe using one of those lintfree soft papers sold for camera lenses should clean them up. Same I suppose applies to quartz lamps, but the cleaning is important to help get rid of the acids and grease that do etch the quartz glass envelopes.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
alpine said:
I can't remember where I saw it, but real HID bulbs are apparently made of a different glass from quartz/halogen filament bulbs. They actually run a lot cooler than tungsten, that's why their running rating is 33watts, and touching them shouldn't do any harm. If you're worried, then a good clean with alcohol, maybe using one of those lintfree soft papers sold for camera lenses should clean them up. Same I suppose applies to quartz lamps, but the cleaning is important to help get rid of the acids and grease that do etch the quartz glass envelopes.
Eh?
The glass is the same. The glass doesnt affect their wattage. The bulb itself determines the wattage. Not having a filament and the design of simply maintaining an arc rather than pushing current through a filament drops the wattage down considerably.

True, a 35 watt bulb will run cooler than a 55 watt. But it's still not OK to touch it. And if you touch it, you should clean it with a lint free cloth with alcohol to remove the oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts