Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't usually post, but I just thought I'd help out a little. I don't know if anyone ever talked about this before, but I didn't find any evidence of anyone else doing what I did on this board.. and also I don't know if anyone replaces their stereo system anymore (most posts seem to be from the past).. but this is to help people who are going to do it in the future.

The guide by Techkis300 helped a lot!
http://www.is300.net/modules.php?na...pic&t=13329797&highlight=speaker+installation

But I didn't follow it completely. For my front speakers, my gray speaker grill is NOT molded onto the door, rather, it was screwed on.. and the position of the screws was almost exactly where my speakers needed to be screwed in at... so I screwed in my speakers against the door piece that comes off; instead of on the metal door itself. I would have thought doing it this way, the speakers would be loose, but it's not.. it's REALLY REALLY tightly screwed on. I had to use longer screws for the sides that was elevated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's not bad considering you don't have to destroy your stock speakers!! Next, I have a navigation system, so the stock head unit must be present in the car with those four wires.

I bought the Scosche wiring harness (this was before i knew that I had i was going to run into problems with the stock amp and speakers). Instead of returning the Scosche wiring harness, I kept it and used it to my advantage. I moved two of the metal pins of the Scosche wiring harness to the TX- and the TX+ slots (The two pins that I took are supposed to go to the stock amp). This means that I don't have to cut any of the original harness wires.

You can pull the pins out with a nose-toothed plier (is that what you call it?) from the FEMALE end of the schosche harness once you cut anything in its way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To do the last part, what I did for the stock HU, was take a thick 16 gauge wire (you need a size that's really thick or else it won't stay in place). You splice the end, and you wrap with electrical tape really tightly, and then you can just slip it in the pin and it will stay. Of course you will have to tape the wires to your stock HU to make sure it doesn't move afterwards, but this works! and you don't have to buy an extra MALE harness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope this helps someone in the future! When I sell my car, I won't have to sell my xplod stuff with it, nor will I have to deal with soldiering the original factory wires together!

·
8,827 Posts
Just so people are not confused, the front speakers DO NOT have to be replaced. It is the rears that do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh yeah.. thanks for mentioning that. the only reason I replaced my front speakers is because I didn't want to cut or deal with any of the original wires. In order to run new wires to the speakers, it would meaning opening the door, and since I'm going to open the door anyway, I might as well spend like $30 and get some front speakers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.