Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets all stick together here. I never heard of paying MSRP......just be strong and theyll budge.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Lexus markup is steep - 15%+ over invoice.

I have been going around to all my local
dealers offering 10% over invoice
and no one is biting. Any Northern
California dealers reading this forum
that will special order an IS300 for
me at 10% over invoice?

It would appear that with their waiting
lists growing, most dealers are going to
hold their ground and demand list price
(MSRP) since they feel they will have
no trouble selling out their entire
allocation of IS300s at full price
for at least the near term.

One dealer told me that I could
"come back in 6 months, and see what
the market is like then". Sigh.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No kidding. I live in the Bay Area also, and dealers are pretty much telling me that I should be thankful that they are not charging dealer markup.

With 1% price hike schedule for this fall, I am thinking of jumping in anyway (after a test drive, of course). With taxes and a bunch of stupid CA fees, I am looking at $37K total for leather and sunroof options. Youch!

It's pretty sad really. Here in the "wealth effect" Bay Area, virtually all "sporty" sedans in 30-40K price range are selling at or near the retail price (e.g., Acura TL/CL, Audi A4, BMW 3-series).

·
Registered
446 Posts
OK im getting confused maybe someone can help me out. Dealer invoice is around 26k right and the MSRP is around 31k. With the options I want on my IS, the car comes out to about 34k and 37k after taxes and stuff. Are you saying that dealers will not budge on the 37k?

[From TEG: Yes the dealers I talked to said they won't budge from list price for the immediate future.]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited May 24, 2000).]

·
Registered
77 Posts
With the options I want on my IS, the car comes out to about 34k and 37k after taxes and stuff. Are you saying that dealers will not budge on the 37k?
I am probably getting the same setup as you(base + sunroof + leather/suede), which has the retail value of $33,700. With taxes and fees, the total comes to about $37,500 (in California). I think I might be able to negotiate slightly lower price if I shop outside the Bay Area (I am hoping to save a thousand).

Originally, my maximum budget for the car was $35,000. But the IS300 looks to be doing so many things right. I've looked at Acura CL Type S, Audi A4 2.8, BMW 323Ci, BMW 328i, and Volkswagen Passat GLX (BMWs cost above $35K also, but their strong resale value justifies their price tag). So I am willing to budge a little. But don't tell my Lexus dealer that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you drive the Passat GLX 4 Motion? If so, how do you think it'll compare with the IS300? Fully loaded for 30k or sorta loaded for 35k......hmmmmmmmm......plus will the AWD outhandle the IS? hmm...ponderables

------------------
Zerin Dube
http://www.gtivr6.com

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
zerin, I drove the 4motion and it felt good but heavy. Yea it's loaded but it is a notch below the IS. For 33K you can get a 2.8 Quattro loaded out (stick) minus heated seats.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Did you drive the Passat GLX 4 Motion?
No, just the regular kind with auto trans. It wasn't slow, but it wasn't fast either. Good passing power, but so-so low-end torque. BTW, 4Motion will slow down the car by almost half a second in 0-to-60 MPH.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Filburt
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing