Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to cars, but got myself a 2002 is300 that needs some work. First thing is the battery needs replaced but I have no idea what I should be getting. There seems to be a good amount of options, but having little knowledge in the area I was hoping you all could help me out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the plan, just want sure if there was anything I should get/avoid.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
724 Posts
Avoid one that doesn’t fit your car. Buying a battery is pretty standard stuff tbh. The parts store will help you out no problem.

Reactions: TobiasSing and Kast

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300 Sedan
6 Posts
Batteries vary in capabilities and price. I bought my battery (Duralast Gold, part # 24-DLG, 700 cold crank amps, 5 yr warranty) from the local auto parts store for $169.99. Its a little higher rated than what my 2002 IS 300 requires to start but it had the warranty I wanted. Car starts a little quicker and with little effort compared to the last battery. Of course I would've preferred to have the red top optima battery but its a little too excessive for my needs on a 18 year old vehicle I drive once a week. Buy the battery that suits your own individual needs and budget. If you want someone to suggest one for you then I would say I recommend this Duralast Gold battery. Middle of the road quality/capabilities, solid 5 yr warranty, fits nicely in a '02 IS and works like it is supposed to.

P.S. On a 2002 Lexus IS 300 sedan the battery sits on the left side (passenger side) of the engine bay. MAKE SURE you buy a battery that has the positive (+) terminal on the RIGHT side (~~>) of the battery. Your auto parts store should catch this when they help you find a battery but just in case you do it yourself pay attention to that detail. Both versions of the battery I bought were available in the store.
Battery Label.jpg

Battery Top.jpg
Battery Top Left.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Batteries vary in capabilities and price. I bought my battery (Duralast Gold, part # 24-DLG, 700 cold crank amps, 5 yr warranty) from the local auto parts store for $169.99. Its a little higher rated than what my 2002 IS 300 requires to start but it had the warranty I wanted. Car starts a little quicker and with little effort compared to the last battery. Of course I would've preferred to have the red top optima battery but its a little too excessive for my needs on a 18 year old vehicle I drive once a week. Buy the battery that suits your own individual needs and budget. If you want someone to suggest one for you then I would say I recommend this Duralast Gold battery. Middle of the road quality/capabilities, solid 5 yr warranty, fits nicely in a '02 IS and works like it is supposed to.

P.S. On a 2002 Lexus IS 300 sedan the battery sits on the left side (passenger side) of the engine bay. MAKE SURE you buy a battery that has the positive (+) terminal on the RIGHT side (~~>) of the battery. Your auto parts store should catch this when they help you find a battery but just in case you do it yourself pay attention to that detail. Both versions of the battery I bought were available in the store.
View attachment 135430
View attachment 135431 View attachment 135432
Thanks for the info! The optima definitely seems to be the "choice" battery, which would be nice. Budget will probably drop me below that, got some other stuff that needs fixing too.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300 Sedan
6 Posts
I completely understand, get the Duralast Gold battery and save your money for some other repair. I love mine and sleep soundly knowing its warrantied for 5 years! Optima batteries aren't even made the same way they used to be ever since they got bought out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts