Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This whole BMW 330I vs IS300 is ridiculous. When are people going to realize that the magazine writers are biased as hell. No matter if the IS300 or any other Japanese made car ran 0-60 is 4 seconds they'd still have something negative to say. Stop reading magazines and go do your own research. The magazines will tell you the 330 hits 0-60 in 6.1 manual and 6.7 in auto. B.S. BMW themselves don't even make that claim. On the other hand they will post the IS300 at 7.5 or worse to make the BMW look like a better buy, the same as they do with the Acura. BMW themselves even say 6.4 for the manual and 7.0 for the 330 auto compared to 7.1 with the IS300. With accurate data, an interested buyer may not think the BMW is worth 8-10K more. Remember, just because I go out and get a job for Car and Driver doesn't mean my degree was in auto-ology. For all you know my cousin could have been the one who hired me.

------------------

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
just so you know bimmers CONSISTENTLY perform better than factory specs because factory specs are underrated. my m3 is rated at 240 hp but at the crank, i'm actually rated at 250. these are dyno results with a 17% drivetrain loss. bmw's meet their specifications whereas the is300 does not. stop whining and face the music okay? car magazines have something bad to say about every single damn car on earth. give it a rest

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
BMW like most other automakers are very humble when it comes to 0-60 times. Sad to say Lexus has lied to consumers claiming the IS300 sprints to 60mph in 7.1 seconds. The car is a pig....for now.

Flame me all you want...it's the truth.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
QVR....what about your hot VW...how do accurately do they report performance....they sure as hell leave out the fact that their cars are made like crap.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
VW claims my model year GTI VR6 (1998) get's a 0-60 time of 7.1 seconds. Which anyone that owns a VR6 will tell you is underated.
I have always run better times at the track than what VW posts. Don't feel bad cuz your car can't show and prove..you know it's the truth.

And for the record, don't act high and mighty because you own a Toyota that's trouble free, you only bought it, it's not like you made the car yourself. I know VW's aren't reliable, however mine begs to differ. Reliability wasn't my main objective in buying my veedub. Your argument is stale at best in my book.
Originally posted by Agent Smith:
QVR....what about your hot VW...how do accurately do they report performance....they sure as hell leave out the fact that their cars are made like crap.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't understand why people think this car is slow??? If you know how to drive I belive a 7.0 sec 0-60 can be achieved. Last time I check 7.0 is not 'slow'. Instead of 'D' or 'M' try shifting manually L-2-3-M with PWR ON and TRAC OFF. I have found this to work better because you can control how long you are in low and you get up on 60 in a hurry

[This message has been edited by BLUEBYU (edited November 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
bluebyu i believe magazine drivers do know how to drive. and 4yoazz, STFU if you dont' know what you're talking about. reading all your posts you're shooting your mouth off like you invented car magazines and that the lexus is seriously biased against or something. lexus has a fair chance and they just iddn't make the car meet it's test specs okay? damn.

Originally posted by BLUEBYU:
I don't understand why people think this car is slow??? If you know how to drive I belive a 7.0 sec 0-60 can be achieved. Last time I check 7.0 is not 'slow'. Instead of 'D' or 'M' try shifting manually L-2-3-M with PWR ON and TRAC OFF. I have found this to work better because you can control how long you are in low and you get up on 60 in a hurry

[This message has been edited by BLUEBYU (edited November 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
442 Posts
Originally posted by QuikVR6:
And for the record, don't act high and mighty because you own a Toyota that's trouble free, you only bought it, it's not like you made the car yourself. I know VW's aren't reliable, however mine begs to differ. Reliability wasn't my main objective in buying my veedub. Your argument is stale at best in my book.
So your VW is different than all the rest of the crappy ones out there? Why? Did you build it yourself? Why you even mocking the IS, you jealous cause you couldn't afford one or something? Or someone in an IS smoked you on the road so it make your feel better to come on the board and trash talk. Get a clue, i could see if your a CL-S owner but come on...VW...Lexus? I think even the bum on the corner asking for money would choose a Lexus over a VW.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
AH AH AH DIK VR6, you forgot to mention that is a quote on a manual, since it wasn't available in auto. if you are going to compare, atleast wait for Manual Transmission Statistics to come out this spring.

By the way, congratulations, your stick Vr6 is as fast as an automatic Lexus IS300. that's something to be mighty proud of.

Originally posted by QuikVR6:
VW claims my model year GTI VR6 (1998) get's a 0-60 time of 7.1 seconds. Which anyone that owns a VR6 will tell you is underated.
I have always run better times at the track than what VW posts. Don't feel bad cuz your car can't show and prove..you know it's the truth.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
bluebyu i believe magazine drivers do know how to drive.
hmmm... How do you explain so many variances in performance from one mag to another?
No one profesional driver knows the limits of any car just by sitting in it and driving it. It takes experience with a car to know what you can and can't do...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mrclam, First of all, The car show I attended here in Texas, the IS300 beat the 1999 BMW 328i auto vs auto in a quarter mile race. My question to you is have you ever driven an IS. Hell no. Have you ever taken it out by yourself and really stepped on the gas. Hell no. You just read something in a magazine and pawned it off as your own knowledge. Yes magazines do say negatives about every car, but when they compare the German made cars to others they use false to give the illusion that the German made cars are built by God himself. As far as whining, I don't think I'm in a site made for BMW trying to prove to the world that I was justified with my choice. I know what time it is. Stop player hatin!!!

------------------

·
Registered
591 Posts
Bluebyu,

I agree, the IS300 Is Not Slow....
It's surely not as Fast as some other cars...
But slow??? No way!

Its much faster than the average car on the road today.
The 330i Manual is pretty damn quick no doubt about it. Sure its Quicker than the IS300. As it should be.
The 330i auto and the IS300 performance is damn near equal.
Of course the bimmer Kills the Lexus in interior options. But for quite a bit more $$$$.
Now the acura Type S Should Be Faster than both the IS300 and Bimmer.
260hp???? That says ALOT!

Smra.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
It's not a matter of my VW being different the rest..because it obviously is. Not everyone who owns a VW has it in the shop every week. Sadly the majority of them aren't all that reliable. And for the ummm.. millionth time..I am not at all jealous, as a matter in fact this past weekend I put a new 330ci on order. Believe me jealousy isn't a motive here. And I have never been smoked by an IS300 in my VW, nor will I be smoked by one unless it has some serious performance issues under the hood. Your car is reliable, yes. If you believe you behold some superiority to me because you own an IS300 (not suprising of lexus owners i've come across), just remember you drive a Toyota with a luxury package and nothing more.

Originally posted by GPR:
So your VW is different than all the rest of the crappy ones out there? Why? Did you build it yourself? Why you even mocking the IS, you jealous cause you couldn't afford one or something? Or someone in an IS smoked you on the road so it make your feel better to come on the board and trash talk. Get a clue, i could see if your a CL-S owner but come on...VW...Lexus? I think even the bum on the corner asking for money would choose a Lexus over a VW.

·
Registered
442 Posts
what the *e)) are you ranting about??? I have yet to find a reason what your posts are about? what time is it? Playa hatin?? sounds like little G Dawg got on pops compter and is trying to have some fun. Word up yo! Gimme a buzz we chill at mah crib G.

Originally posted by 4yoazz:
Mrclam, First of all, The car show I attended here in Texas, the IS300 beat the 1999 BMW 328i auto vs auto in a quarter mile race. My question to you is have you ever driven an IS. Hell no. Have you ever taken it out by yourself and really stepped on the gas. Hell no. You just read something in a magazine and pawned it off as your own knowledge. Yes magazines do say negatives about every car, but when they compare the German made cars to others they use false to give the illusion that the German made cars are built by God himself. As far as whining, I don't think I'm in a site made for BMW trying to prove to the world that I was justified with my choice. I know what time it is. Stop player hatin!!!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Originally posted by 4yoazz:
Mrclam, First of all, The car show I attended here in Texas, the IS300 beat the 1999 BMW 328i auto vs auto in a quarter mile race. My question to you is have you ever driven an IS.

YES i took one for a test drive last weekend

Hell no. Have you ever taken it out by yourself and really stepped on the gas.

well i had my dad in the car but they let me go basically alone and yes i have

Hell no. You just read something in a magazine and pawned it off as your own knowledge. Yes magazines do say negatives about every car, but when they compare the German made cars to others they use false to give the illusion that the German made cars are built by God himself. As far as whining, I don't think I'm in a site made for BMW trying to prove to the world that I was justified with my choice. I know what time it is. Stop player hatin!!!

the reason magazines are so positive about german cars is because they are EXCELLENT cars. hte is300 is nice, but i do prefer the german offerings over it. oooo wow you attended a car show where the 328 lost. HMMMM the 328 wasn't in production when the is300 started production and the 328 has less power. no suprises there. and bluebyu, every car off production is different. there are slight variances but car mags usually take the fastest run of the average of 3 runs. so if they dont' know the limits of a car, how come they manage produce the manufacturer's results with other cars? is the lexus somehow different? just FREAKING FACE IT, LEXUS did not design the PRODUCTION car to go 0-60 in it's claimed 7.1! not brand new anyways. maybe after it's broken in, but thats' a different matter.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Dude, is it my fault Lexus has no balls and mated an engine with potential to an AUTOMATIC tranny? As much trash as you talk on VW at least they were not only smart enough to shove a V6 in a hatchback, BUT ALSO SMART ENOUGH TO MATE IT TO A 5 SPEED MANUAL. And not only is my VR6 in stick form as fast as an IS300...it's FASTER. And does it with less valves, less horsepower, less torque, an iron block and front wheel drive too. Congratulations your 215hp Lexus bad boy is as fast as a pile of **** Volkswagen...that's something to be proud of.
It's called horsepower to weight ratio, amongst other things.

Originally posted by IS300GTE:
AH AH AH DIK VR6, you forgot to mention that is a quote on a manual, since it wasn't available in auto. if you are going to compare, atleast wait for Manual Transmission Statistics to come out this spring.

By the way, congratulations, your stick Vr6 is as fast as an automatic Lexus IS300. that's something to be mighty proud of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why is it every time the IS300 gets compared to something you guys cry. Can't compare it to any Acura.... FWD to RWD. So when it is compared to a BMW (Which is what Lexus was after in the first place) your still crying.
Damn guys........ lets see if anymore of you guys leave this forum.... We all know the IS300 is so elite no one else can have an opinion about it....
Stop the whining and drive......

1 - 20 of 128 Posts