And the adventure continues!! Over the course of the last two weeks, weather, people needing me to do stuff, and my kiddo getting sick only left me about 4 days with about 1-2 hours a day to work on the car. I have found it a few things though.
1. The car used to hunt really bad and run really rough on cold starts. Normally took a 5 minute warmup to run normally. Well, I it was the bank 2 upper O2 sensor, or just overall a bunch of bad sensors. The bank 2 upper sensor had a spacer on it. I didn't think that was correct, so I removed it, and installed normally. I changed the 3 I could get to (bank 1 upper and lower, bank 2 upper), installed the intake, angled the battery terminals so they stopped touching metal, and started the car. It took about 3 minutes for the car to normalize, and it's stopped hunting on cold starts ever since. Mission one accomplished. Now, into the brakes.
2. I believe the crank seal is shot. At 240k, I wouldn't be surprised. I tried tracing where all the oil was coming from while changing the O2s, and noticed a ton of caked up oil and grime along the oil pan, and a lot behind the crank pulley. There is a leak somewhere in the power steering, but when I finally got the car out the grass into the driveway, and in the air to work on the brakes, I noticed lovely little puddles of oil, that were quite excessive for a 2 minute run. Since the engine barely has any oil in it, that means it only leaks when pressurized. Now to decide, change the crank pulley for an engine I'm gonna swap anyway, or just go ahead and swap the engine for now?
3. The car has red sway bars. I don't know if all of them were like this from the factory, or if these are TRD bars. Either way, that's one less thing to worry about.
4. GREASE THE DAMN SLIDERS FOR YOUR BRAKE CALIPERS!!! This was the nail in the coffin tonight. This ruined my plans to drive to Louisiana, and the car is down until I come back in a couple weeks. The rear brakes were kind of a pain in the ass, as I had a hard time getting the pistons pressed back in completely, And the retainers were a pain in the ass to install. Bled the rears after installing the stainless lines, put on the rear wheels, and set the car down to turn it around. Brakes felt great until I started the car. Still had the squishy pedal with engagement at half pedal travel. Assumed the problem was in the front. Boy, was I right about that one. It took about 10 minutes to get the car in the air, because of all the complications I ran into. The part of my driveway I'm working on has a dip in it. Because I had to lift the car from the cross member, my jack couldn't get far enough under the car due to the dip and the car being lowered. I had to use my ramps. Drove up those, got the car in the air, and went for my jack stands. All I had are my big truck ones, which I thought were holding up my truck. Nope, my other small set is. Thankfully, I had a set I completely forgot about in the garage. Remove the ramps, sit the car on the stands, try and use my impact on the lugs... And this stupid POS impact isn't strong enough to remove the lug nuts. Lift the car back up, remove stands, put ramps back, lower car on ramps, and stand/bounce on half inch ratchet to loosen lugs. Repeat process for stands. Pray stupid impact can loosen lugs for stupid spacers. Thankfully, it can. Expect smooth sailing from here. Remove brake caliper and bracket. Get ready to grease the sliders, and notice one is stuck. The cover is split. Oh jeez. Maybe I'll get lucky and get it loose. Could just be caked up really bad. Nope. Excessive twisting forces break things
Now, I need a new caliper bracket, or just upgrade to the ls400 brakes.
BONUS: Water is getting in the car. More than likely from the sunroof. Couldn't tell when I bought the car, but the car sitting for two weeks told the story. No water on the floor I could find, but the constant condensation build up in the back window and trunk makes me think it's terminating somewhere in that vicinity.
Overall, this car is slowly becoming a bigger shit show with every repair. Half assed mods with half assed maintenance, make a whole ass problem. Lol. I'd have actually felt better if I bought this car non-running. I wouldn't have had my hopes so high, and all the problems I'm running into would have made more sense. I expect these things from a car that's been sitting for a few years. But, not from a car that's been driven daily by the previous owner since 2014.
Also, the Fortunes haven't arrived yet. Hopefully, by mid January/early February. I'm pretty sure they have to build them still.
Anyway, now to figure out what to do. Upgrade or repair the brakes.