Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your advice ?

I will buy the Mobile 1 Synthetic oil tomorrow along with the Supra Oil Filter from the Toyota Dealership.

Know the part number for the oil filter ?

Also any advice on how to get to the oil filter ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't have the part# but a oil filter from a V6 Camry or Supra will fit.

As for removing the filter, Toyota makes these "caps" where you put on the filter and on the back of it, you can stick a ratchet to it. This makes removing the filter very easy.

Good choice of getting the filter from Toyota. I get them from my local Toyota dealership for $2.99 sometimes w/coupon from dealer website and mail flyers.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
advice: don't buy synthetic, save your money

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
BugginOuT said:
dut said:
advice: don't buy synthetic, save your money
Could you be a lil more specific?

Then why is everyone recommend Mobil 1 synthetic?
- well its their opinion.. just like MY opinion is that its a waste...
- your motor will still last long without synthetic
- even if I was boosted, I wouldn't go synthetic

·
Registered
18,849 Posts
Shiznit said:
he means if your not boosted then theres no point in using synthetic. :chill:
thats not true at all..for our engine, and for the life of the engine, mobil 1 is the best option for it...bar none...

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
Shiznit said:
thats not true at all..for our engine, and for the life of the engine, mobil 1 is the best option for it...bar none...
- uh, yea... you are correct.. thats why OLD ass toyotas last forever even without synthetic... :roll:

·
Registered
18,849 Posts
dut said:
tsopranoMB said:
Shiznit said:
- uh, yea... you are correct.. thats why OLD ass toyotas last forever even without synthetic... :roll:
well, then since your the expert on the subject...please explain the advantages/disadvantages of using mobil 1 synthetic or the toyota engine oil that the dealership's use....

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've gone full synthetic Mobile 1 on my bike, my mustang, and my IS300. It's the only way to go. No I'm not boosted on my IS, but then again I drive this thing like a bat outta hell as I do all my vehicles. As for the people saying it's a waste, come on now the shits not that expensive only like $2 more dollars a quart. As for taking the filter off, my first oil change I took it off by hand and now I only tighten it hand tight plus a 1/4 turn.

-Yamaha Dave

·
Registered
18,849 Posts
from www.mobil1.com

You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to Mobil 1.

You can start using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ in new vehicles at any time, even in brand-new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

* Chevrolet Corvette
* All Porsche vehicles
* Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
* Dodge Viper
* Ford Mustang Cobra R
* All Aston Martin cars

One of the myths that persists about Mobil 1 is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design these high-performance cars, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ can be used in an engine from the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.

http://www.mobil1.com/album/detail.jsp?vehicleEntryId=857
i've been debating about the change as well...from listeing to so many IS 300 owners and Supra owners, it seems like its a no-brainer to use Mobil 1 for optimum performance...

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
dut said:
tsopranoMB said:
Shiznit said:
well, then since your the expert on the subject...please explain the advantages/disadvantages of using mobil 1 synthetic or the toyota engine oil that the dealership's use....
- im not an expert.. its my opinion
- the dealership I deal with uses valvoline, not synthetic... I asked about synthetic and they laughed...

·
Registered
849 Posts
bartkat said:
It's doubtful you could remove the filter without a wrench.
It was tough...the first time I had to have my borther in law come over with a long a$$ skinny metal rod to jam through the filter to get it off. There isn't a whole lot of room down there to get a good turn on it. But mission was accomplished...now only do hand tight + 1/4-1/2 turn.

·
8,852 Posts
Oil:
Mobil1 5w30 Synthetic
Filter:
Mobil1 M1-102
Wrench:
Sears Hardware Oil Filter Wrench adapter.

·
8,852 Posts
newlex said:
back to the topic of the post what can you do to minimize the oil leakage on the manifold?
1) Buy a manual car (Oil changeing manual is so easy compared to Auto - No #2)
2) Loosen Tranny fluid dipstick by removing the screw holding it.
3) Put filter into a zip-loc bag while removing it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.