Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this bad or is it totally irrelevant?

If its bad, why? Does it hurt the tranny and/or braking system?

If so, how does it hurt the tranny and/or braking system? Does it ONLY put more stress on these parts or does it brake something eventually?

Thanks for taking your time to answer my stupid question!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
if you are in a rwd car and are pulling up the ebrake to burnout...um, why?

as far as stressing the parts think about a fan. let's say you hold the blades in place when it wants to spin. the fan probably won't break right there and then but think about if you did that everyday for 5 minutes. the fan would probably fail a lot sooner than if you didn't do stuff like that to it.

relate that to the car...think about it...the car wants to go someplace, but you are holding it in place. i doubt that the parts would just break right then and there. but obviously added stress will lead to shortened parts life.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
E-Brakes are always in the rear, why would you put them on to try a burnout? I could see if maybe it was FWD.

Either way, listen to HIBBoyScott's advice. This will put undue stress on your tranny especially and cause problems, (after the 5 year warranty probably). It will put enormous amounts of stress on the internal clutch packs and heat will build up faster than it should, virtually cooking your tranny oil and shortening the life of that as well.

But it's your car, do what you please.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
Maybe I'm missing somthing here, but the IS is rear wheel drive and you do not need the e-brake to burn out. Since the IS is uncapable of burning out itself in a straight line fashion you would need to brake torque. The affects are that you are trying to move items that are trying to stop you. Heat, friction, stress is a result. First you will notice that the tires will disappear quite quickly, then you will need to replace rear brake pads and possably rotors. Thats short term, long term equals only time will tell.
Now if you are talking about trying to be a stunt driver then you can use the E-brake for sliding cornering and so forth, but dont get pissed if in a few years you have all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
dood... i dun even knoe how ure doin it... tryin to peel out with the handbrake on.... uhm handbrake peelouts are only for FWD cars... the handbrake activates and locks in the drums inside your rear rotor... and the is300 is a RWD car... so ure lockin in the wheels that are supposed to be doin the spinning....

just powerbrake it... and dont do it too often... youll burn ur tires real quik

·
Registered
398 Posts
One good thing about the Manual tranny Altezza is that you just hit the clutch if you want to lock your rear wheels.

But I used up my first set of tires in 15000km, thats about 10000miles. I've been keeping away from locking my tires recently. Those 215/45 R17 tires ain't that cheap.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A friend of mine swears its okay to put the emegency brake on while doing a burnout in a RWD car! He says it only puts a little stress on the car. I just want to figure out a way to explain its more then just that and you'll damage something!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by LexusIS886:
A friend of mine swears its okay to put the emegency brake on while doing a burnout in a RWD car! He says it only puts a little stress on the car. I just want to figure out a way to explain its more then just that and you'll damage something!
the thing is there is no point in pulling up the ebrake while attempting a burnout in a rwd car. the ebrake applies the brakes only on the rear. when you have a rwd car and are trying to do a burnout what is the point of braking the rear wheels when those are the only ones with power applied? pulling up the ebrake on a fwd car has a point, on rwd it is just useless. there is no point in explaining to your friend if s/he doesn't get that more stress = shorter life. think about anything mechanical that wants to go and you hold it back. like a simple aa battery powered toy car. turn it on, it goes forward. hold it in place on the floor so that it's trying to go, but you're stopping it. the little motor isn't gonna be too happy about it and will fail sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I just don't see the appeal of doing "burnouts"??? There is a time and place for burnouts (i.e. the stage box at the drag strip).

I would rather use the rubber on my tires for something useful, like cornering at high speeds and handling the twisties. The last time I looked, tires for the IS weren't that cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts