Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as it heats up. It seems mine does. Just wondering if this is normal....and if you know...why does it get louder.

Basically i have a Dragger II and i notice the sound much more after i been driving awhile, was just curious. Thnx

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
yep, my greddy evo gets louder after driving it for a long time...i think its cuz the heat causes the pipes to expand...

in the morning, when i turn on my car, i notice that the exhaust is sticking out about an inch
and when i get to my destination, (i commute to college, about 30 mins), i notice that it sticks out more (about 1 3/4 inches)

·
Not Officially Back
12,205 Posts
Exhaust tone is also closely tied to temperature and humidity, my setup (NEOFlow intake, XERD racepipe, ltuned exhaust) has a higher pitched note when its hot and humid, and a noticibly lower pitched note when its cold and dry.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Mine is by far the loudest at start-up esp in the morning. It sounds like a V8 and sometimes I'm even worried my neighbors might complain. I actually thought it quieted down after warm up. WOT now that's a different story! :)

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
- OVER time the exhaust will sound louder, about 8,000 miles later my exhuast is a LITTLE louder... but as far as same-day, I haven't heard any difference...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think altezzaboy is on the money, i had just returned from Orlando when i noticed it, about a 2 hour shot. I think the pipes expanding makes sense. Anyway, im not complaining, i like the sound when the exhaust is hot.

Always get the hot/cold expansion/contraction thing screwed up. I guess my friends leave beers in my freezer too long and they explode on me. Gave me wrong idea.

As for your S/C AC556, the noise factor kinda scares me as well. I know you were somewhat concerned about noise previous to the S/C installation. Id think it would be quiter than turbo since most of the noise is under the hood i presume vs. at exhaust. My plan is to go S/C as well someday, and dont want anything too crazy loud

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
the beer explodes because the freezing temps make the beer solid...
and when solid things are formed, they take up more space...
plus beer has CO2....and when the beer freezes, it takes up more space, and compresses the air...when it cant take anymore, it explodes... :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was curious i know its a bit off topic but I have the HKS Hi-Power w/o silencer and i want to install the toyo header/race pipe and it would become louder yet, so i was curious if those Silencers for the HKS do anything usefull. If you say that it becomes 7db quieter doesnt really mean much, any people can put the 7db into joe terms ? :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts