Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking about getting the hks dragger 2, or hiper. and possibly the xerd race pipe, i currenlty have 3500 saved up and eventually want to go turbo. Would i be able to keep the exhaust and race pipe for the turbo app.? or would i have to get another exhaust. i just want to know to get a better idea of how i want to spend my money.

I could get an injen intake, dragger 2 exh, race pipe and possibly the safc2. then next summer get rims and possibly drop it(i have a job but i get paid next to nothing :pissed:, better than nothing i guess :roll: ) and then later on put in a system. The car is my daily driver. I love this forum, it has so much information that i just don't know what i want to do. Any ideas? and will the i/e, racepipe, and safc2 work w/ a turbo kit (im pretty sure the safc2 wont work, and besides optimizing the a/f i'm not sure what else it can do)

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
S-AFC is useless for turbo. If you want to do it right, save up for a full 3" exhaust. Keeping your stock exahust will keep you quiet, but you'll be robbing yourself of a LOT of rwhp.

In the end, if you can be patient, don't waste your money on an exhaust and just do it when you go turbo. Now if you going with a supercharger, a header and axleback exhaust will be just fine I believe.........Going with the full 3" then would only yield minimal gains.........

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I went turbo and kept my L-Tuned exhaust. It robbed me of about 25rwhp (based on the rwhp of others owners with the same kit and a full 3"). That is low boost. I'm sure it will lose you a ton of HP under high boost.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
redline814 said:
I went turbo and kept my L-Tuned exhaust. It robbed me of about 25rwhp (based on the rwhp of others owners with the same kit and a full 3"). That is low boost. I'm sure it will lose you a ton of HP under high boost.
and the cats will die too right?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
goldark said:
redline814 said:
and the cats will die too right?
Top 2 cats are replaced by one high-flow cat. The lower cat is removed and a 3" pipe is added.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
If you're seriously planning to get boost, don't bother wasting money on an exhaust, an intake, and a race pipe. Save your money, and just get the turbo sooner.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
There isn't that many 3" full catback exhausts out there for the IS3's. So at most if you want a HKS Hiper or Dragger, get the muffler and get a 3" piping exhaust made. Plus you would have to get a custom high-flow cat made to fit your system.

Save up dont buy the racepipe and such like dpwu32 said.

·
Registered
384 Posts
what "3 entire system r out there? how loud r they and how much hp can i get without boost.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
All the tuners out there who make turbo kits for the IS300 usually put out full 3" exhaust. I don't think you're going to see great gains on a stock engine, it's really just beneficial for boosted cars. They're usually pretty mean sounding, epecially on turbo cars.....

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm, thanks, every1, The one thing i'm really happy about it is that im not rushing myself, i wanna think this through thus i promised myself that i won't do any real mods (other than lights :D ) until spring or 3000mi ( at the rate im going im gonna prolly be hittin 3000mi on the odo first :-? )

Since i don't have a great paying job, and am still in college, i need to figure out if i can actually come up with the money and afford a turbo kit in 3 years (my guess on how long it may take me to make enough money for a kit, and extra for problems i may face).

In truth i probably won't be happy until i have a turbo under my hood, but 3 years is alot to wait for, b/c if i am going to do it, i'm gonna get it done right, i want to strengthen the internals before i boost. The is300 isn't exactly a fast car, so i would want something that has decent power until i do go for my dream. if money weren't so tight..... i'll have to see what i can do.

Another reason i want to wait 3 years is b/c of the warranty(4 yrs but w/e), is this correct that you guys are saying i can use the dragger 2? just need to redo the piping to the exhaust for turbo? (in that case i can do the piping whn i get the turbo and jus have the exhaust ther). life and its tough choices :( . Thanks again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Paki_Sleepa said:
Another reason i want to wait 3 years is b/c of the warranty(4 yrs but w/e), is this correct that you guys are saying i can use the dragger 2? just need to redo the piping to the exhaust for turbo?
I am putting out 400rwhp through my Drager II. All the piping up to the Drager is 3". You'll be fine if you want to get that exhaust now.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
you gotta wait three years before you have enough for turbo....?

is that when you'll be getting out of school and start making big bucks?

if so...why not just spend the money on suspension....you don't need to change it with turbo

my plans are also to get turbo....but if no turbo by the end of summer...i plan on doing all suspsion/body since it's too far down the line...

you can always sell your used mods on the forum...when you go f/i....but you'll probably get half what you paid for them.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
isjeff, if you were able to do it then maybe i should too :D . um so ill prolly jus get an intake and exhaust, strut bar and some minor suspension work, by this spring, if i can get a decent job over the summer i should be able to get rims and then ill have to go do some more serious susp work.

ali im in college, but since the warranty is 4 yrs long, ive figured ill be thru the warranty or not care as much by the end of 3 yrs. settin a time frame of 3 yrs is more realistic to save up enough to get the stupid turbo anyway. and since im going to be a doctor i only wish i was done in 3 yrs :x . so intake, strut bar, and exhaust seems to be on the order for now, injen intake, plp strut bar, and hks dragger ii. rite now i have somethin like 3500 saved up, but i need money for a system, rims, def suspension work and turbo. as for the rims im only gonna go get 18s, they're best for performance.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Off topic, but most people get 18's because they either can't afford or don't want to spend the money for 19's. There is no significant performance difference on the track. You *might lose about 1-2rwhp. 19's look waaaaaay better.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
19s are hot, but in my opinon not worth it, b/c 19s are more for show than go, plus ther easier to get damaged. this car is my every day car. and like u said 18s are also cheaper, not bad reason for gettin them :D

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
if your scared about them getting damaged...get 18's

less likely to bend then 19's
and 18'' tires are cheaper to replace

and you'll be replacing tires more often as the driving gets more spirited

i've read people making worthwhile gains with a hyper ground kit(roughly 80bucks in the .net store)..more beneficial to auto's

if the car is stick-what about a short shifter'?

good luck on the car :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
peter ferrel supercars 3" exhaust

Does anyone know much on this product? 575 for a 3" mandrel cat-back ain't bad. Anybody got pics? I can't find a e-mail addy for PF so I can't ask them and say hey.. do you havea pic of the exhaust? :) I want to put the exhuast on the car now cause this winter I will have a big hairdryer under the hood.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
[/quote]b/c 19s are more for show than go, plus ther easier to get damaged
More misinformation. I have 19's with no bends ever, and I guarantee I've probably hit worse bumps than you will ever hit. All my friends with 17's and 18's have bent wheels. It all depends on how you drive. If you're set on getting 18's, go for it, but none of the reasons you stated are correct........ :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts