Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first, i wanna say that the IS is a koo car jus like my friend Tlin8 said.
but with the msrp $30500, there are many other choices of better cars.
i really think that it is better if the IS comes out as an altezza here in the states. but they just hav to put a GS300 engine in to make it a lexus here. i went to hong kong last christmas and saw at least 5 altezzas or IS200 there everyday. it is a hit here. but what really surprised me was that it takes 11.2 sec to go from 0-60mph for the IS200. which i think is really stupid...Tlin8's van can beat that...but is still a koo car i think....what i m saying is that they just hav to put a better engine to make it a lexus amd THAT expensive for a corrolla-sized seden. and one important thing...why the manual version of the IS comes out a year after?..remember..one thing about the altezza being a hit in asia is becuz it has a 6-speed transmission to play with. so what kind of customers is the IS300 looking for in Cali? ..for parents or for kids who used to drive fixed up hondas?...i dont think parents will like driving manual and i think with the msrp $30500 without luxury tax,that car is too expevsive for a sport seden. so what it is a lexus?..that car is too small to be a lexus. ok.thats all i gotta say..and sorry for dissing the car u are gettin, Tlin8.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I will try to keep this short.

1> Lexus is used to selling cars with automatic transmissions in the USA, so they had a big debate over the manual... They agreed at the last minute, but then found that the 6 speed wouldn't work with the 3.0 liter GS300 engine... So they are working on a 5 speed that isn't yet ready.
2> The IS300 will go 0-60 in about 7.0 which is alot quicker than the IS200 or most of the Altezza variants. I won't handle quite as well because of the added weight and nose-heaviness, but thats the price we pay.
3> It will be very small for a Lexus, but there are alot of us who think that the 3 series BMW is just the right size to fit in traffic, get those "compact" parking spaces and welcome this car in the Lexus linup.
4> Yeah - maybe it would have made more sense if this was sold in the USA as a Toyota model with a lighter weight, less cost and less luxury stuff. Maybe Toyota should give Lexus the Avalon in exchange! Well, Toyota decided what they want to do, so you take what you can get...
5> Price - yeah - steep - it will scare some people away... But those who can afford it will like what they get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
well i agree....if you look at the edmunds pricing info. the car after you do some calculating...for me i just want the car and the limited slip. minus the hold back and giving them 3%, the total i thought would be a good price came out to about 29.5K. that would be perfect for me. i will pay the car off in no time. i mean if you are paying for the speed and looks, i can easily hook up a honda to make it look identical with more horsepower than the real thing. so i think even though lexus will not go lower on price...if they geared this car to the younger market..maybe they should have brainstormed a better price for the market out there. not everyone is a chemical engineer out there. thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
IMHO, Toyota/Lexus did do their homework. Badging it a Lexus and pricing the car at 31K, they want us to compare the IS300 to the 328 and the A4, not the Maxima or Accord. They could have badged it a Toyota and sell for less, but they would have lost the people who were in the market for a BMW or an Audi or even a MBZ. Personally, I had my eye on a BMW 328 for a while. But when Lexus introduced the IS300, I changed my mind b/c it's a Lexus and it's going head-on with the BMW. If it was a Toyota, I would have stuck with the BMW b/c I wanted the higher status of the BMW. Hey, I can afford a 328 so I'm actually saving money by getting an IS. Of course, I wouldn't mind paying less if I could, but I'm not complaining. I think Lexus did exactly what they wanted to do -- take a piece of the pie away from BMW. They took me away from BMW.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Eric, to answer your question...I say Hell No!! Isn't that price 5 series territory? onefortheroad, Lexus took me away from BMW too because I was looking to get a 323Ci before the IS came along.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Yes Kim... A Fully loaded 528i is $53,500... that's GS400 territory... You can have a fully loaded GS300 Platinum series for the price of a fully loaded 328i... Remember the 323i is closer to the IS300 in price but the automatic 323i is SLOW....
Eric.....

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
And the upcoming M3 will cost around 50k. The Audi S4 is a bargain!

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Definitely!!!! The S4 loaded comes to about 41 grand or so... LESS than a loaded 328i!!!

Also... for those of you who are waiting for the new C-class Mercedes... A nice car it will be, a bargin...it will not be....
Eric

·
Registered
171 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:
Do you think a fully loaded BMW 328i is worth $43,920....? http://www.bmwusa.com/start.cfm

I didn't think so....
Eric....
Is any car worth MSRP? Probably not. If the IS300 was not available, then I would have been content with the 328. Why? There's no set value. Value is determined by individual taste. I like BMW b/c there are no other performance sedan like it. If I could get a 328 fully loaded for under 40K, I would consider it a good deal. So for me, getting an IS300 for 34K fully loaded is a bargain even at MSRP. I get similar performance with Lexus quality and service. But that's my taste. If anyone feels they get more value from buying an Accord and fixing it up, then by all means, do it. Bottomline, be happy with what you buy after all the gripes. Regrets or second thoughts will only make you miserable.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've looked at a number cars before deciding on IS300 (pending test drive). My summary below.

2001 Acura CL Type S: Technical speaking, this is a very sweet car. While handling is not as good as BMW (probably due to front wheel drive), the acceleration is top-notch (for an automatic anyway). For $30,500, it's a bargain. However, the thing is so darn boring looking! Ugh... why why why Acura?!

2000 Audi A4 2.8: I love the car's styling, both interior and exterior. But for crysake... does it have to be so wimpy? The thing is s-l-o-w (passing speed is good, but low-end torque is really lacking).

2000 BMW 323Ci: Like the Audi, it's not very fast. It's not as wimpy, but given its high price tag, it should be faster.

2000 BMW 328i: It's expensive. Worse... here in the Bay Area, I see a parade of Bimmers every day.

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLX: The performance is more acceptable than Audi, but it's next to impossible to get this car. When I finally did locate one, the dealer demanded $1000 markup (as in $1000 over MSRP). At $30,500, it's hard to justify getting this car.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My brother got his fully loaded S4 (every available option included) for $47,000 out the door. We think it's a pretty good deal. Without the navation, 6 disc cd changer, and heated seats, the S4 will come in at around $44,000 out the door.
Rumors about the new M3 will have a premium of $10,000 which will push the car to $60,000 margin.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Man, your brother got Ripped off if he paid $47K for an S4. The car starts at just under 39K and is 42K with every single option available. I know because I've gone to the dealer and priced one.... geez.....
Eric...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Originally posted by Tycoon:
My brother got his fully loaded S4 (every available option included) for $47,000 out the door. We think it's a pretty good deal. Without the navation, 6 disc cd changer, and heated seats, the S4 will come in at around $44,000 out the door.
Rumors about the new M3 will have a premium of $10,000 which will push the car to $60,000 margin.
When you said, 47k out the door, you mean tax, title and license included right? If that's the case, I think you did get a good deal.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
My uncle bought an S4 with all the options and was out the door for just under $43K with everything....Now that's a great deal....

·
Registered
446 Posts
yeah, 47 include tax, license, documentation...blah blah blah....he didn't get any discount...just msrp......but some other dealers have a 3G premium......so there......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts