Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
No. Maybe a small percentage of all the ones made. I would say the overwhelming majority would be 7.4 to 7.5 on a consistent basis.

------------------

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
If they don't change the gear ratios for the manual (and maybe they should cause they're very short), it'll be a second or more quicker probably. They might increase the gear ratios to give the car better gas mileage, that would slow it down.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, I don't think it's slow. I have one and it doesn't seem slow at all. In another post, I mentioned that how can you consider it slow but not consider the auto 330 or the 328 with sport from last year when it's only .2 to .4 faster?
Originally posted by kkambbak9399:
really???
dats pretty slow...
i thought it would be faster..
how fast do u think the manual will be???

late

------------------

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by 4yoazz:
Well, I don't think it's slow. I have one and it doesn't seem slow at all. In another post, I mentioned that how can you consider it slow but not consider the auto 330 or the 328 with sport from last year when it's only .2 to .4 faster?

true dat...
I was wondering cos im planning to get a 2002 IS manual...
just wanted to know if i would have any problems breakin beemers, maximas, etc..

any news on da TRD supercharger??
anybody have any idea of da cost???

·
Registered
201 Posts
Depending on what the final figures come in at on the manual, it should be interesting. If they get the same performance enhancement that BMW does from manual to auto, I would say it should hit between 6.3 and 6.7 from 0-60. I still don't think it'll break the BMW off. But like I always said, how much is that .2 to .4 worth to you? Is it worth the 8K to get the Bimmer?

------------------

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depending on what the final figures come in at on the manual, it should be interesting. If they get the same performance enhancement that BMW does from manual to auto, I would say it should hit between 6.3 and 6.7 from 0-60. I still don't think it'll break the BMW off. But like I always said, how much is that .2 to .4 worth to you? Is it worth the 8K to get the Bimmer?

Well doesnt da BMW 328 have less hp than da IS, and isnt alot heavier???
i know da IS would lose to a 330, but I would think it could run a 328...
i am mistaken??

late

·
Registered
201 Posts
My fault, you're right, I had 330 on the mind instead of 325 or 328, whatever it is. It shouldn't have a problem taking either of those two.

------------------

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Actually, the automatic on the 330/325 has much shorter gear ratios than the manual. In fact, the auto ratios are closer to the IS300 ratios. So it'll be interesting to see if Lexus lengthens the gear ratios on the manual as well, if they don't it might be close to 6.0 sec 0-60. But I'd expect a 1 second improvement, maybe 6.4-6.5 sec 0-60. No one will call that slow. No one that's not full of shi* I mean.

[This message has been edited by ckolsen (edited December 04, 2000).]

·
Registered
201 Posts
I hope you're right about low 6's. Hell, I don't need it but I may even consider a trade in of my silver auto for a silver manual unless my wife kills me first!!!!
Originally posted by ckolsen:
Actually, the automatic on the 330/325 has much shorter gear ratios than the manual. In fact, the auto ratios are closer to the IS300 ratios. So it'll be interesting to see if Lexus lengthens the gear ratios on the manual as well, if they don't it might be close to 6.0 sec 0-60. But I'd expect a 1 second improvement, maybe 6.4-6.5 sec 0-60. No one will call that slow. No one that's not full of shi* I mean.

[This message has been edited by ckolsen (edited December 04, 2000).]

------------------

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
any word on a TRD supercharger yet??
price???
gain in hp???

i dont really believe in forced induction, but I need more power!!!

late

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
According to Edmund's, the non-turbo MkIV Supra does 0-60 in 6.4 seconds (with the manual tranny, of course). I would expect the manual IS to run about a couple tenths slower due to less hp (215 vs. 225, I think) and more weight, among other factors.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well I love the IS and it really doesn't matter that it's a few tenths of a sec slower than SIMIARLY equipped Bimmer. I'd still get it so, What? The only thing that *tiny* amount of better acceleration would be good for is a race, and who races everyday?

[This message has been edited by Kazsim (edited December 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
571 Posts
truu Kazsim. A manual IS should have similar acceleration as a 330 if Lexus modified gear ratios. However, a auto IS should get spanked by a manual 330, although I'm sure the manual IS can spank an auto IS or 330 for that matter as well.

Only advantage I see right now in the 330 is there is already plenty of established high-quality tuners who know they $hit when it comes to the Bimmer and have already made a name for themselves......AC schintzer, Dinan, Racing Dynamics, Hamman.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ckoslen where are you getting your info MAD magazine. What car is slower in stick version compared to auto.

it'll be a second or more quicker probably. They might increase the gear ratios to give the car better gas mileage, that would slow it down.
Stick version will be a sec faster then the auto( roughly). Please think about your response's alittle more. stick version slower due to fuel economy ohhh hello yu can up shift a stick to lower the rpm hence savin gas. I get pretty decent milage on the car on Eshift in 5 gear doin 40 mph everywhere how about anyone else. The only thing i see wrong with the stick version is if it coming out without question. I say this because of certain car companies opinions of bring a stick to a US market the prefers auto( notice auto sales of popular cars compared to stick sales of popular cars) MB until recently did not even think of bring a stick shift to a US market.I hope for the sake of performance enthusiats they do offer the stick for 2002, but it will definatly be faster then the auto. CK unless you cant drive a stick then maybe the auto will be faster. stick slower man how stupid is that........

·
Registered
486 Posts
He did say that the stick would be quicker, he only said how much quicker would depend ont the rear gear ratio. It makes sense to me. am I wrong?
Originally posted by NYIS300:
Ckoslen where are you getting your info MAD magazine. What car is slower in stick version compared to auto.

it'll be a second or more quicker probably. They might increase the gear ratios to give the car better gas mileage, that would slow it down.
Stick version will be a sec faster then the auto( roughly). Please think about your response's alittle more. stick version slower due to fuel economy ohhh hello yu can up shift a stick to lower the rpm hence savin gas. I get pretty decent milage on the car on Eshift in 5 gear doin 40 mph everywhere how about anyone else. The only thing i see wrong with the stick version is if it coming out without question. I say this because of certain car companies opinions of bring a stick to a US market the prefers auto( notice auto sales of popular cars compared to stick sales of popular cars) MB until recently did not even think of bring a stick shift to a US market.I hope for the sake of performance enthusiats they do offer the stick for 2002, but it will definatly be faster then the auto. CK unless you cant drive a stick then maybe the auto will be faster. stick slower man how stupid is that........

1 - 20 of 37 Posts