Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here is what i have accomplished today after 2 hours...but still not sure if everything is right..

(2nd hand INJEN GenIII w/ 6K miles on it & heat deflector included)

well first, washed the intake filter with Tide, using edgy's carbonated water method. im not sure if it was right to do or not, with liquid detergent. i had 1/3 cup of tide, dissolved it in hot water, added some cold water to it to get it at room temp, then dumped a little over 2 liters of carbonated water into the bucket and let the filter sit in there for about 10 minutes, then spray oiled it, and whiped excess oil off after 20 minutes of drying, with a paper towel.(oil was orange)




let me note what i had issues with:
1.) no instructions, did everything by looks, and had on phone help by flatline who was VERY helpful.
2.) heat shield isnt 100% stable.
3.) i have 2 extra bolts and washers remaining :jawDrop:
4.) the bolt that has the rubber piece around it to secure the pipe to the engine bay broke, so i used the bolt that was from the OEM intake box.
5.) not sure how far i am supposed to put the cone filter on around the pipe...
6.) S shaped vaccum hose didnt fit properly, or tight enough.

so some general questions...
a.) after u turn off your car, do u still hear the intake stay on for another like second?
b.) is it supposed to (while the car is idling with hood open) sound like..somewhat like a gas leak? jsut sucks in air constantly?
c.) after u reset ecu after cleaning filter, and u drive the car hard for a bit, is the filter's lines supposed to get a bit crooked from the air being sucked in??

well thanks a lot guys. here what it looks like, its black by the way.










..anything look out of place to u?

thanks

-Aaron :blush:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahah just some duplicolor hight temp black engine enamel...only ook like 2 hour total =D

its not dark enough, but if u see it in person it matches the engine bay =D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
onyxaltezza said:
let me note what i had issues with:
1.) no instructions, did everything by looks, and had on phone help by flatline who was VERY helpful.
2.) heat shield isnt 100% stable.
3.) i have 2 extra bolts and washers remaining :jawDrop:
4.) the bolt that has the rubber piece around it to secure the pipe to the engine bay broke, so i used the bolt that was from the OEM intake box.
5.) not sure how far i am supposed to put the cone filter on around the pipe...
6.) S shaped vaccum hose didnt fit properly, or tight enough.

so some general questions...
a.) after u turn off your car, do u still hear the intake stay on for another like second?
b.) is it supposed to (while the car is idling with hood open) sound like..somewhat like a gas leak? jsut sucks in air constantly?
c.) after u reset ecu after cleaning filter, and u drive the car hard for a bit, is the filter's lines supposed to get a bit crooked from the air being sucked in??
1. everything looks right to me. you might want to secure the hose to the extended part.
2. that is normal. i think its only hold down by 1 or 2 bolts.
4. this is an important part. you should call injen and they will send you one for i think it was 5 dollars. i didnt have the rubber stand and the intake was making loud metal knocking noises. also, the rubber stand helps the intake to level itself to the right height also to a certain angle. call injen, they will have it.
5. you got to use common sense on this one. use the filter neck as reference.

a. yes, pretty cool sound
b. yes, the engine is breathing
c. i would get a new filter from k&n or injen

good job.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,844 Posts
Looks right. How's it run?

BTW the vacuum sound is air rushing through the bypass at the throttle plate. It's perfectly fine. The added chambers in the stock intake help muffle that sound.
 
  • Like
Reactions: onyxaltezza

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
look like everything is intall correctly,
can you tell any difference yet ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,548 Posts
Looks good, but as bluemm said, you need to secure that hose/wire bundle to the slot on the intake.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah like..that whole thing, the clip area in thatred highlighted area, i coiuld get the bolt off from the stock intake box, and when i forced the bolt, the whole plastic clip broke off the stock airbox. so now i need to get the bolt off still, before i cna rebolt it to that area... =D

well thanks a lot guys..will +rep all u guys when i can..

-Aaron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lexroll said:
look like everything is intall correctly,
can you tell any difference yet ?

hrm it DOES sound MEAN..but my exhaust is so loud that i can only hear my intake when i put my silencer on my exhaust...i tried to show my gf...and we were standing in front of the car..and i pushed the throttle cable and she said my intake scares her... :p

but yeah at WOT, the thing is crazy, but thats also the only time i can really feel the intake sukcing hair when i put my hand next to it..

-Aaron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol wasnt..untill it came to puttin the vaccum hoses in the right places...and i have musing screws and couplers lol but itll work for now =D

-Aaron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
633 Posts
ummm, i dont want to be the person of bad news, but shouldnt it have a heat shield over the headers? so that the check engine light doesnt come on for whatever it is. because my injen came with a heat shield. but other then that, good job on it =D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
scottycameron said:
Looks good, but as bluemm said, you need to secure that hose/wire bundle to the slot on the intake.


Shit ive had this intake for a while and i could never figure out what the hell that part was for and didnt really care. + Rep im gonna go do that right now.


edit - just check and i knew i couldnt figure it out bc I dont have that screw for the bundle + rep though
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top