Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the service manual from the dealership I but my car from (Magnussen's of Fremont) and it recommends changing the tranny fluid every 15k. That sounds really excessive to me. I had a camry that didn't have its tranny fluid changed until 60k and it has over 130k miles on it now and it still runs great. The service manual that came with the car doesn't say to change it this freqently either.

At what intervals are you guys changing your fluid?
The same also goes for the diff oil 15K too frequent?

Should I go by the service manual from the dealer or the one that came with the car in the black lexus binder?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Umm. You should inspect the little label on the dipstick of the tranny. Then come back.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Go with the factory recommend intervals, they are there for a reason. The engineers determined that was a safe interval for service life of the fluid. It seems like most auto manufactures are extending the service intervals for things like oil, coolant, sparkplugs, because of improvements in technology and are using this as marketing to promote how reliable and maintenance free the vehicles are, so for them to still recommend a short interval for a change must mean that there is a important reason for it.

I changed my diff fluid at 15k and let me tell you, it was all black and stink (diff fluid is always like this though). It takes a lot of abuse back there keeping the gears lubicated.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BossMan said:
Umm. You should inspect the little label on the dipstick of the tranny. Then come back.
I saw that. I'm just curious why the dealership is recommending servicing the tranny so often, especially on an IS. It's not like I'm towing a boat. I also found out its different from one dealership to the next, that's why some dealership quotes you almost 30% less than others.

anyways, I did change it at 15k just to get any metal shavings out from the breakin period. I'll skip the 30k tranny change as well.

I've just read what I wrote and just to clear up the service intervals:
dealship= every 15k tranny fluid change, and 15k diff fluid change.
owners manual= 60k tranny fluid change. 30k diff fluid change (if you tow)

·
Registered
712 Posts
is300insf said:
I've just read what I wrote and just to clear up the service intervals:
dealship= every 15k tranny fluid change, and 15k diff fluid change.
owners manual= 60k tranny fluid change. 30k diff fluid change (if you tow)
Aaaaahhh Yeah, just a heads up on life..... The world is run on and by $$$$. Most dealers, I know this is gonna come as a shocker, also want a piece of the $ pie. I am going to follow the IS ownerz manual. They (LEXUS IS Designers and not a Local Dealership) did write that thing for a reason!

just my .01 + .01 = .02cents

1 - 5 of 5 Posts