Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering the low volume of M3 that BMW sells, I wonder if it making money. The M3 is probably an image car; it maintains BMW's reputation as a performance marque while the rest of the 3 series becomes more luxury oriented.

[This message has been edited by Chiphead (edited October 27, 2000).]

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are you kidding me??!???!?!?

$50K for a 3 series and you question whether or not they're making money!?!??!

This IS the same platform as a $30K 323Ci!!! Yeah, yeah, yeah, there is a whole lot more engineering in it, but c'mon..... $50K for a 3 series!!!

If they aren't making money, they need to just call it quits!!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
where the hell did you get 50 k? well...i'm sure bmw makes money off the m3, they spend a lot in R&D but that car isn't too cheap =)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by Golden:
Are you kidding me??!???!?!?
$50K for a 3 series and you question whether or not they're making money!?!??!
This IS the same platform as a $30K 323Ci!!! Yeah, yeah, yeah, there is a whole lot more engineering in it, but c'mon..... $50K for a 3 series!!!

If they aren't making money, they need to just call it quits!!

This is stretching it way too far. Gish, I don't even know where to begin. Well not to piss off anyone here but using your logic how about this one? $70K for a toyota?

Yeah see my point?

Also, in the US alone BMW sold over 30K of the E36 M3 making it the highest # of M car ever sold in the US but also probably the world as well. Did BMW make money on the E36 M3? Hell yes. Now I don't know for sure but if they didn't think they're gonna make similar profits off of the E46 I doubt they would have produce it.

M Coupe on the other hand is one where BMW is not making much $$$ if any.

Rick Kim

·
Registered
86 Posts
Originally posted by Mcoupe:

This is stretching it way too far. Gish, I don't even know where to begin. Well not to piss off anyone here but using your logic how about this one? $70K for a toyota?

Yeah see my point?

Also, in the US alone BMW sold over 30K of the E36 M3 making it the highest # of M car ever sold in the US but also probably the world as well. Did BMW make money on the E36 M3? Hell yes. Now I don't know for sure but if they didn't think they're gonna make similar profits off of the E46 I doubt they would have produce it.

M Coupe on the other hand is one where BMW is not making much $$$ if any.

Rick Kim
oh gee look... a defensive BMW owner... I haven't seen one of those in about... oh... 5 minutes

Did I say ANYWHERE in that post that I didn't think the M3 was worth what they are charging for it??? No. Didn't think so. My point is this... you have the same basic car, albeit with some add'l engineering into the engine, suspension, etc and they cost well over $10,000 more!!! Taking into consideration that fact, I am surprised that anyone would question if they are making money or not, that's all.

Relax Rick.... everything's gonna be just fine.

Geesh!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
yeah, considering how well the m3 handles and the r&d that went into developing the higher performing 3 series, i'd think it would cost more. the m3 is not *just* a three series, the look may be the same but the way to two cars perform are totally different. if you want to say 50k for a 3 series, i can say some people pay 50k for a c-class, because that's what the CLK is.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think BMW just makes up for whatever money they may lose or break even when selling the M3 with repeated and overpriced service and repair costs...which everybody knows is inevitable; it is BMW after all... =)

[This message has been edited by shadoh6 (edited October 31, 2000).]

·
Registered
571 Posts
Are the m- cars even built in the same plant as their regular counterparts?

Doesn't BMW have a special M-division that does all the work on the M-cars?
Some people have even said, with how wonderful and awesome the engine/handling on the M3 is, that it is a bargain??!!?!

It's still hella expensive to me, but I see it as being worth every penny.

·
Registered
511 Posts
There is another division that assembled the early M5's by hand once the body was delivered from the normal plant. I don't believe that was ever the case with the M3 and isn't with the new one.

One M5 owner I know found a permanent marker signature of his car's builder on the inside of the bumper.

------------------
S38
91 M5

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i'm not sure if htey are built in the same plant, but M cars have been known to be "bulletproof" most owners don't have typical bimmer complaints and problems with the m3.
and yes, now the m3 is definitely a bargain, you can havea 95 for ~20k. 0-60 in 5.6 and dreamy handling makes this car a definite bargain(used)

Originally posted by vvtipwr:
Are the m- cars even built in the same plant as their regular counterparts?

Doesn't BMW have a special M-division that does all the work on the M-cars?
Some people have even said, with how wonderful and awesome the engine/handling on the M3 is, that it is a bargain??!!?!

It's still hella expensive to me, but I see it as being worth every penny.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was on a waiting list and they told me it was going to be 58k due to the demand here in Seattle (BMW of Fife/Auburn)... I'm not on the list anymore.

Originally posted by Golden:
The new M3 is just under $50K, right? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by S38:
There is another division that assembled the early M5's by hand once the body was delivered from the normal plant. I don't believe that was ever the case with the M3 and isn't with the new one.

One M5 owner I know found a permanent marker signature of his car's builder on the inside of the bumper.

This is true to some point. The E36 M3 never had a plant of it's own like the M5 but the Euro version of the engine was hand assembled like the M5s engine was. As for the "US version" M3s I believe the engine was assembled in the M division then crated and shipped to the assembly line. For M coupe/Roadster, they had no choice but to do this because they are assembled in the US.

Rick Kim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts