Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm in the process of getting rid of anything silver on the outside of my car. I've done the rear emblems, license plate surround, and front grill. I'd like to know how to remove the silver accents that surround the windows. I plan on painting them myself with plastidip to give it a more aggressive look. Anyone have links to videos or diys?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I masked everything off and sprayed mine with Plasti-dip. It looked good, and any overspray rubbed right off. However, you need to cut between your tape and the car BEFORE you peel the tape and masking paper off, or you'll start to peel off the plasti-dip too. I decided to keep the chrome, but the look was just fine. Brushing on the plasti-dip might be easier. Far less masking needed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah but id like to take them off if i can cause it'd be easier to paint completely and evenly. thanks for the advice though! its gonna help me when i get started eventually

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd like to know how to remove this chrome bezel around my windows as well.
Again, like the OP, I do not want to tape around it. I want to remove.

Thanks in advance for help

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used Scotch brand electrical tape on my DD. It's been on for a couple years with no ill effects. If you screw up, peel it off and do over.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've heard about the tape idea. In fact, there is a company that makes it specifically for Mini Coopers. I was going to do that when I had a Mini, but it got totalled before I could.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've heard about the tape idea. In fact, there is a company that makes it specifically for Mini Coopers.
I've seen the vinyl tape at the parts stores. You can also get it at places that make graphics and banners. It's sort of a generic thing.

Scotch brand electrical tape is among the best - it's high quality vinyl, relatively low cost and if you screw up, peel it and try again. When your chrome is covered, you still have half a roll for electrical work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts