Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my freeon pipe was bent and is leaking like a bitch during the worst season. anyone know how much is the pipe??

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
First, what is a [sic] freeon pipe? Freon is a chemical compound that is used for cooling in air conditioning systems. It is also known as a CFC which is short for chlorofluorocarbons. The chlorine in CFC's have been shown to harm the ozone layer. Freon is designated as R-12, but no new cars utilize freon anymore. I think every new car out there uses R-134a which is supposed to be less detrimental to the ozone layer. R-134A is an HFC which is a hydroflourocarbon. HFC's are less energy efficient than CFC's, but the HFC's contain no chlorine so it doesn't harm the ozone layer like a CFC.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry i dont know what the part is call but its that lil pipe that u put the freon in.

·
8,880 Posts
^^^^
Take it to the dealer or a qualified mechanic/shop.
It seems to me you do not know much about A/C system, meaning you will not be able to fix it yourself. Therefore, getting a pipe, provided you finally figure out which one it is, for a gas not even used in your car (good reading material above), will not do much good.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
XCstud said:
First, what is a [sic] freeon pipe? Freon is a chemical compound that is used for cooling in air conditioning systems. It is also known as a CFC which is short for chlorofluorocarbons. The chlorine in CFC's have been shown to harm the ozone layer. Freon is designated as R-12, but no new cars utilize freon anymore. I think every new car out there uses R-134a which is supposed to be less detrimental to the ozone layer. R-134A is an HFC which is a hydroflourocarbon. HFC's are less energy efficient than CFC's, but the HFC's contain no chlorine so it doesn't harm the ozone layer like a CFC.
Good information. Thanks XCstud.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vlad_a said:
^^^^
It seems to me you do not know much about A/C system, meaning you will not be able to fix it yourself. Therefore, getting a pipe, provided you finally figure out which one it is, for a gas not even used in your car (good reading material above), will not do much good.

i know what pipe and i know how to change it just dont know the name of it. (does anyone know whats its call. its the place where you fill in you freon on the left of you rite headlights.)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
van48 said:
vlad_a said:
^^^^

i know what pipe and i know how to change it just dont know the name of it. (does anyone know whats its call. its the place where you fill in you freon on the left of you rite headlights.)
Give it up and go to a mechanic. First off, I don't think you even know whether the refrigerant for the IS air conditioner is a liquid or a gas at STP. I'll give you a hint. To recharge the air conditioner, you don't buy a bottle of liquid and poor it down the pipe. Second, if you read back over the other thread you started, vlad already told you that the pipe has a bend in it to begin with. Third, even if you had a clue about repairing your A/C, you don't have the equipment or knowldege to charge the system after repairing what's wrong with it. If you are certain the bent piping is what needs to be replaced, go to a dealership's service department and ask them how much it would cost to order the part. You'll probably get a better estimate than whatever wild guesses anyone throws up here

·
Registered
427 Posts
Its called the Upper A/C Port, or High A/C port...or the H port depending on how layman you want to get with it.
Its where the R134 is blown into the system.
Depending on which state you live in, you can buy R134 refrigerant and the quick release tubing to fill it on the low side..
The portion of pipe is probably going to be close to 200 bucks..
if you do the install yourself - which i wouldnt reccomend - you'll need to seal the threads.

·
8,880 Posts
^^^^
Provided there is no gas left in the system.
It is illegal to dispose of it in the atmosphere.

/ / / /All of you phisics understaning people , consider my advice below as a favor to environment - don't ruin it. / / / / :wink:

·
8,880 Posts
On the freon tube note (it is Freon, not Freeon),
Freon is a gas that will turn to liquid at a certain temperature.
All you have to do is wait out long enough for the outside temperature to drop a bit. Then you'll be able to pour away. I think it is safe to say, under 0K temperature freon will be in a liquid form.

Check your weather forecast frequently for updates. 0K outside temperature is imminent, it is just a matter of time.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
vlad_a said:
On the freon tube note (it is Freon, not Freeon),
Freon is a gas that will turn to liquid at a certain temperature.
All you have to do is wait out long enough for the outside temperature to drop a bit. Then you'll be able to pour away. I think it is safe to say, under 0K temperature freon will be in a liquid form.

Check your weather forecast frequently for updates. 0K outside temperature is imminent, it is just a matter of time.
sweet, i was checking my forecast and it said that it will actually occur on the same day that hell freezes over.

·
Registered
469 Posts
freon will give you the most intense high ever, about 15-20 X of pot... but it only lasts about a minute... my friend tried it & still talks about it until today

·
Registered
469 Posts
freon will give you the most intense high ever, about 15-20 X of pot... but it only lasts about a minute... my friend tried it & still talks about it until today

1 - 14 of 14 Posts