Lexus IS Forum banner

Does anyone have picks of a IS300 with Bilstiens?

10K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  spitfire 
#1 ·
Ive heard they lower a car by about an inch, just curious what it looks like with 215/45r17s (225/45r17s would be great).

Thanks

#3 ·
Is that in addition to the ~1.0 inch from just the pro kit springs? Word on the forums is that Bilstein HD + Eibach prokit drops 1.25-1.5 inches. Can you confirm? Did you have issues with front vs rear drop? There's a couple threads where people are pissed that the rake got worse (consensus is improper loading before tightening that caused it).

#8 · (Edited)
The lower spring mount on the front Bilsteins is 20mm lower than a stock KYB, the rear lower mount is the same height as the stock KYB. Don't have enough complete shocks to compare the top spring mounts as that will have an effect too.
Edited in; The rear bilsteins are about 15 mm shorter on the shaft than a stock KYB 2 Ltr rear shock. Shock bodies are the same length which means the rear spring would already be a bit more compressed on the Bilstein rears. I machined another groove for the circlip, picture below.
But not fitted yet and not a priority as would prefer a set of KYB SR's or Lowfers but the distributor doesn't sell them here and freight is difficult from Japan as they are classed as a pressurized item.

#9 ·
I installed Bilstein B6 Dampers with Eibach Pro-Plus Kit (1" lowering springs and Sway Bars) back in January. Stock 17x7" wheels with stock 215/45/17 tires. Shock and Spring configuration equates to Bilstein B12 Pro Kit

#11 · (Edited)
Picture below, on the left; stock shocks, springs and 7 inch wide wheels with 215/45/17 tyres. On the right; stock springs, bilsteins, stock second or third gen IS 8 inch wide wheels with 225/45/17 tyres.
I think the bilsteins are overrated and won't be purchasing them again, they feel like a shock set up for another model of car and adapted to these ones which are not common enough to justify a specific shock being made for them. Good only on nice smooth roads and not much of an improvement over stock shocks in good condition if at all. Bumps, potholes, speed bumps will have you slowing down and going a lot slower than you would with the stock shocks. Will be selling mine in the future when the foreign exchange rate improves. My next ones will be a Koni STR.t and Eibach pro springs (not the lowest ones) which are a Koni yellow adjustable but on the softest setting or most preferably KYB SR's with Toyota white Sportivo springs for a IS300. KW's and HKS's are very expensive here, Tokico shocks and Tanabe coilovers are no longer available new, unfortunately for the IS300, these cars are getting old now.
Second picture is what you need to do to get a trolley jack under the front of the car fitted with stock springs and Bilsteins.
Third picture is Bilstein coilovers for a IS300 but they are all second hand, well used and rare.
Its a bit sad that so may people are judging how their cars suspension is set up by how good it looks, according to the wheel/fender gap as the first and most important priority.
Land vehicle Vehicle Alloy wheel Car Luxury vehicle
Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Tire Wheel
Coil spring Auto part Suspension Suspension part Shock absorber

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.