Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An IS_50, with the OEM wheels but has gone to a wider tire (like 275 in the back and 245 in the front).

If you have such pics can you please post them or link me to them, I'd love to see what it looks like. I'm not looking for someone who has purchased NEW wheels and tires, I want to see what it looks like on the OEM wheels.

Also, what have the wider tires done to the car in areas of ride quality, performance, fuel efficiency etc...

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
I'll take some tomorrow. I just went back to my stock wheels. My aftermarket wheels are bent pretty bad. I did not want to buy new tires and the car vibrate. For now I have the stock wheels back on, with 275's in the rear and 235's in the front.
The IRONY, when I go to pick up my car the wheels were installed backwards, i noticed right away...but getting back to the irony, the 275's did not rub in the front!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll take some tomorrow. I just went back to my stock wheels. My aftermarket wheels are bent pretty bad. I did not want to buy new tires and the car vibrate. For now I have the stock wheels back on, with 275's in the rear and 235's in the front.
The IRONY, when I go to pick up my car the wheels were installed backwards, i noticed right away...but getting back to the irony, the 275's did not rub in the front!!
That will be great. Maybe you can tell us about the feel of the ride, cornering, noise levels etc...

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
That will be great. Maybe you can tell us about the feel of the ride, cornering, noise levels etc...
I had aftermarket wheels before, 19 inchers for the past 2+years so my point of view may be different.

Ride is a definite improvement from my old set up but that is to be expected. From stock, I dont think it changed much to be honest.

Cornering/Noise is highly dependent on the actual tire, I have Nakangs on (i did not want to spend a lot of $$$, these are interim tires), so nothing to write home about. They are noisier than my previous 19 inch Kumhos and have less grip.

Comparing to the stock RE050's I had they also have less grip and noisier. But that again is not a byproduct of the width.

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
Pics

They are 275/35/18 in the rear and 235/40/18 in the front.

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
How it used to look..... depressed every time I see it with the stock wheels :(

Funny, the tires are the same size, 275/30/19 and 235/35/19 (smaller aspect ratio though) and they look so much wider.

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
dammmit! i just realized all you guys see are RED X's LOL! Will upload the pics somewhere else this evening when I get back home. :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy crap, I think your car looks great.

Does the difference in profile between rear and front cause any problems.

Rear are 275/35/18 and front are 235/40/18.

Were there no 275/40/18's available?

Can you tell me about any changes in your ride?

Also, your exhaust looks great. What kind? How does it sound? Any change in performance?

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
Holy crap, I think your car looks great.

Does the difference in profile between rear and front cause any problems.

Rear are 275/35/18 and front are 235/40/18.

Were there no 275/40/18's available?

Can you tell me about any changes in your ride?

Also, your exhaust looks great. What kind? How does it sound? Any change in performance?

Thanks!!!!!! :)

I am just used to seeing it with the PIIA's..so kinda get depressed looking at it with the stock wheels. Plus IS' are a dime a dozen in Miami so unless you do something to differentiate it, you get lost in the crowd.

The difference in profile does not affect it any. Actually, the rear tire is a bit taller since it is wider. But not a huge difference. 96.3mm to 94mm, 2.3 mm difference. If I would have gone with the 40 profile in the rear, then yeah it would have made a bigger diff. 110mm v 94mm.

Ride did not change any.

Noise went up a bit, but that is mainly due to the tire/brand/tread pattern, not the additional widht. But very insignificant btw.

The exhaust is the Tanabe Medallion. Not a significant increase in performance, slight. In the higher RPM range and higher speed is where it makes more of a difference. Like 70-90 passing. From a standing still, not a huge diff.

It is louder than stock, but not overbarring. It has a deep mellow rumble to it. I love to put the windows down and open the sunroof to hear it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts