Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a custom box that maximizes trunk space and allows you to keep your ski pass thru i.e. box installed on the side. in your trunk. Could you post a couple pics here so that I can have an idea of what I can do? All I want is one 15" subwoofer in my trunk. Also it would be cool if you can show where you put your amps too. That would help alot. I searched the forums and couldn't find any pics. Thanks!

·
Registered
432 Posts
it's really hard to have a 15 inch and keep the ski pass... best thing to do is put the 15 where the spare would be and put the spare on the carpet in your trunk. there a lot of people who put a 15 inch where the spare is and relocated the spare tire.. this gives a lot of space to put an amp...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes, this would be helpful...I will be building a custom sealed enclosure for two 15's...I don't need nearly as much space as you do...I only want space for the woofers to move enough air =)

·
Registered
432 Posts
that would be easier... Lex wants to keep the skip pass... which is abour 14 inchs high and has a 7 inch width... and going about 14 inches out will be a loss of 1 cubic feet almost.

2 15's... dont even try to keep the ski pass. if someone has a table saw I can easily make subwoofer enclosures... the person who used to help me went to jail and he has the table saw so I can't make any. It's really easy.

·
Registered
432 Posts
also lex... you said that you had a RF 300/1? well I think I know why you want a 15inch... 150 watts rms is not a lot of power... for 2 12 inch subs you should have like 800 watts rms... I am running 1600 watts rms.. you should come buy some day and hear it.. you'll really like it.

My rockford and hifonics set up gets some really good lows for 12 inch subwoofers. and if you do go with a 15 inch subwoofer set up... you'll be WAY WAY MORE watts then Rockford Fosgate 300.1 can give

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yea i'm going to get a new amp and sub. I will be fine with getting rid of my spare. I upgraded to 18's so my 17" spare is useless anyways.

http://my.is/forums/f103/sub-ideas-downfiring-343187/

I like how vanndamage has his sub firing through the ski pass. Its a 10 and it fits perfectly, nothing bigger in diameter will fit. I don't want monster bass. I just want nice bass and I want it to sound clean. I think I might go with this idea and get like a really good 10 inch sub. Any ideas on a 10 inch that hits hard?

also when you have it firing through the ski pass does it have to be in a box? is it ok that its not in a box? May sound dumb but i'm not a subwoofer guru.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I dont really know... some are real crafty... theres a material that some used... I forgot what it was but I know what it is X_X

http://my.is/forums/f103/looking-pictures-creative-custom-trunk-installs-247379/

go to best buys... they make custom boxes... just tell them that you want a sub in your spare well and they will tell you what you need and how much it cost.

yes you make a custom round box... but not out of wood, I don't think. it's like a plaster that they use to mold the perfect shape they need.

try to find a spot to put your spare and take it out when you want to show off... I think it's a smart idea to always have a spare, unless you have AAA

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think i'm going to go with the SUB firing through the ski pass Idea. Leaves lot of room and you can access spare and tools. Its more simple and would be cheaper. I'm going to go to the stereo shop tomorrow and ask them whats an excellent 10 inch sub and see if they can build the box for it. I'm going to bring my laptop and show them these pictures. If they can build the box I can do the rest. I hope it isn't going to be expensive....

How much does it cost usually for a really good 10 inch sub?

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
I had a Boston 10" sub which fits perfectly flush in the passthrough but anything larger than that will force you to set the sub back from the hole. Make sense?

Reactions: ItalynStylion

·
Registered
432 Posts
nice set up mayo... I would rather can a 15 inch going through the ski pass though... just my .02 =)

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
Thanks pal. That's my point. You can use any size sub but 10" is the largest that will fit perfectly in the hole. Subs are omnidirectional so you can set it anywhere in your trunk. I sold that system and now I am going with a new Boston 10" oval sub and two Rockford Fosgate amps installed in the spare tire area. Best wishes.

·
Registered
432 Posts
man you really like Boston subs eh? heh I was going to have a 15 inch like your set up but the sub facing the other way have the port be facing out the ski pass... so massive air will be shooting out of my trunk... but then I realized that the set up could be annoying

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
Yes, I love Boston audio equipment and I have my sub firing into the car because I want a very tight bass sound since I primarily listen to smooth/contemporary jazz. Setting you sub up the other way will produce a very deep booming sound. You'll definitely be a hit with the brothers. ;)

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
A single Image Dynamics IDQ-15 could EASILY go in the spare tire well. It would save weight (you could go glass on the enclosure, no MDF necessary)... and spare tire well enclosures work some sort of magic with bringing low, transparent bass in to the cabins of trunk cars.

I'd HIGHLY recommend a single 15" spare tire well enclosure to anybody with an IS300. And I know for a fact that it can be done because I've seen it.

Also, a single 15" infinite baffle setup would be awesome too. Just build a baffle board, seal the front of the woofer completely off from the trunk, and fire the fucker through the ski-pass. No enclosure, maximum trunk space savings, and the most linear and LOW bass you've ever heard.

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
Now that's what I'm talking about. Utilizing the spare tire area is the way to go.

·
Registered
432 Posts
okay... it's called fiberglass. There are a lot of DIY out there for fiberglass...

you can make an enclosure that fits perfectly in your spare tire well by making a fiberglass enclosure in there. It's like newspaper and glue... but Fiberglass Resin and hardener... someone really needs to do a DIY fiberglass enclosure for IS300's... if no one else wil... I am afraid I'll get pissie and do it myself =(

·
Registered
432 Posts
yeh that's pretty nice. I have been thinking of how I am going to do my set up (if I go with fiberglass)

a set up for 2 12's... using the spare well. I am also going to relocate the spare, I'll only take it out if I am going to show it off.

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
I would sure be interested in where you will relocate the spare. I have 19s all the way around so a spare is pretty pointless.

Reactions: is300soon
1 - 20 of 23 Posts