Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was readin a wiki article bout double clutchin and, although it seems more taskin than just regular shifting, it seems like it would lower the wear and tear on the transmission, i was wondering if i should start practicing, because although im a fairly new driver i hate it when my car "chugs" during gear changes, so i have gotten to a point where i can shift without feeling it, i always ask my passenger if they felt it, but i dont accelerate very fast cuz im new and still trying to muscle memory the exact spot still. it seems like double clutching would eliminate any of the unnesscary chugs on the lower gears. i was curious, does anybody here double clutch?

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's no to need to double clutch -- any wear and tear savings on the synchros would be canceled out by extra wear on your clutch. In any case, there's really no point in double-clutching on upshifts.

Just learn the bite point of the clutch and your shifts will be smoother. A lot of new drivers don't really have enough left foot sensitivity and cover up deficiencies by adding more throttle to keep the car from stalling. Anyway, find an empty parking lot and do the following: put the transmission into first gear and slowly release the clutch without touching the gas pedal. Practice until you are able to smoothly get the car moving from a standstill without ever having to apply any throttle input. You'd be surprised how even experienced drivers can't do this. Anyway, your left foot will memorize the clutch bite point, your shifting will be smoother, and you won't have to worry about double clutching.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
Unless you drive an old truck or car built in the early 1900's, then you will need to double clutch when you upshift. ;)

On newer cars it is not necessary because they are equip with modern syncromesh gearboxes.

Also, do not confuse double clutching in downshifting because that's heel toe downshifting.

·
Registered
143 Posts
whats up para, i see its your first post. good to see another one from portland. we dont have much here.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
i heel and toe downshift but i dont double clutch upshift. thats the main reason i will never buy a car with a gearbox like the BMW SMG or Audi S-tronic...just feels too good when you get a heel and toe downshift perfect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
add to this, the most efficent way to reduce wear and tear on your clutch (not your tranny, since the point of clutch is to absord the shock for the tranny) is to rev match your shifts. This will prevent excess slippage and thus saving the clutch wear.
Also the only way you can destroy your tranny is to grind your gears.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Also, do not confuse double clutching in downshifting because that's heel toe downshifting.
Not quite.

rev-matching is when you blip the throttle to get the engine to spin at the same rate as the tranny in whichever gear you're going down to.

heel-n-toe is when you rev-match your downshift IN ADDITION TO having part of your foot on the brake while you do this.

When I heel-n-toe, the ball of my right foot is on the edge of the brake pedal, and I twist my foot slightly to have the other side of my foot (the pinky toe side) tap the gas.

The idea is to downshift while you're slowing down for a corner, so that when it comes time to accelerate out of the corner, you are in the gear you need to be in to maximize acceleration.

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
^^^ you know what I mean....

·
Registered
590 Posts
i was readin a wiki article bout double clutchin and, although it seems more taskin than just regular shifting, it seems like it would lower the wear and tear on the transmission, i was wondering if i should start practicing, because although im a fairly new driver i hate it when my car "chugs" during gear changes, so i have gotten to a point where i can shift without feeling it, i always ask my passenger if they felt it, but i dont accelerate very fast cuz im new and still trying to muscle memory the exact spot still. it seems like double clutching would eliminate any of the unnesscary chugs on the lower gears. i was curious, does anybody here double clutch?
Yes, I double de-clutch every day. Yes, it does save wear on your sychros. No, it is not heel and toe shifting, as someone mentioned above. You double declutch on downshifts to match the trans and engine rpms. It becomes a very natural and smooth process after you get used to it. As for clutch wear, you should get less wear even though you're using the clutch twice, because one clutch engagement is at no load and the 2nd is at revmatched speeds. Tranny wear should also be less.
When your car rocks, jumps, or chugs on your gearshift that's just your shifting and clutch disengagement technique. You'll get smoother with experience.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Lame............................................................

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
ok... im pretty sure.. NONE of you know wtf double cluthing is lol
for one.. why the FFF would you double clutch on a normal bases?
Double cluthing is when you dont have enough RPM to get you going "as fast as you want" to be going, so you slam on the clutch pedal as fast as you can to get the RPM's up, and then you have tire spin, which = accel.
This is what we use to drift. Now... it's kind of cute that you all use it on a daily bases... buuut there is no need?? i guess.. You're just fuckin up your clutch. but hey its your money lol
Excuse me sir, are you an idiot?

BTW, wheelspin ≠ accel.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Lame..........................................

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
:lol: Double clutching to spin the tires, right, that's what double clutching is.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
excuse me? are you an idiot? when you have wheelspin, you will more than likely be propelled forward rather than sitting still or going backwards. try it numbnuts. It's not exactly ACCEL, but it's propulsion to a degree.
about a 20% slip of the tire gives you maximum acceleration. wheelspin does not equate to acceleration. if it did, then i would accelerate fastest in the snow when i can spin the wheels at a 50 to 100 mph if i wanted. you sir, have no clue what double clutching is. it is beneficial on the street. you save wear and tear, are smoother for passengers in the car, develop proficiency with your gearbox for those track days, and help keep the tires glued to the pavement by not upsetting the balance of the car, especially in the wet. in addition, the reason many people drive an IS, especially a manual IS, is because of the car-driver connection. when you heel and toe a downshift and feel the gear mesh perfectly and let the clutch out without feeling any jerkiness, it provides a sense of accomplishment and skill.

as far as drifting, what you are talking about is the clutch kick. you can do that one of two ways: let the revs drop and pop the clutch using the engine in the same manner as the e-brake or revving it up and then popping the clutch to break the tires loose. both are hard on the car and stupid on the street.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Lame......................................

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
^ :lol: So you looked those up in the dictionary.

Words of wisdom from an eshift driver.

Hey dipshit, maximum acceleration comes with maximum traction and minimum wheelspin, not popping the clutch (which you described as double clutching :lol: )to smoke the tires.

·
Banned
371 Posts
^ :lol: So you looked those up in the dictionary.

Words of wisdom from an eshift driver.

Hey dipshit, maximum acceleration comes with maximum traction and minimum wheelspin, not popping the clutch (which you described as double clutching :lol: )to smoke the tires.

telling you people to look in the dictionary, wasn't key word for "i looked this up in the dictionary before i posted" you *** fuck.

and nowhere did i say "maximum accel coming from traction" learn how to read dumbass lol

Reactions: chrisridebike8

·
Banned
371 Posts
you guys watch fast and furious too much lmao

soon someone is going to write a post about how their nitrous caught on fire. hahaha

peace

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
haha yea dude. beside he said wheel sping doesnt equal accelation, no some kind of prop as you changed it.

Duing acceleration unless its drifting i guess. you want the most traction as possible. that way all the powe is making it to the ground.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts